PDA

View Full Version : is this good cycling advice??

Slow Cheetah
01-17-2009, 09:30 AM
hey i completely cleaned out my 10 gal tank today and cleaned all media and ornaments etc. i got this info from http://www.bluecrayfish.com/cycle.htm by David Klima. is this good advice? i wanted to check incase
if it is ok, can i only do a couple of the tasks as i have the tank in my bedroom so i cant leave on the light all night etc. thanks in advance.
INFO BELOW

1. Run the aquarium at a high temperature, up in the low to mid eighties, Fahrenheit. Only do this if you have no pets in the aquarium which need lower temperatures. The higher temperature leads to faster cycling.

2. Keep the tank only about 50-65% full. This creates a waterfall effect as the water leaves the filter, and when the water from the filter hits the surface of the aquarium water, there is a great deal of water turbulence, exposing more water to more air more quickly, and leading to increased oxygenation, and thus, faster cycling.

3. Keep the aquarium light on 24 hours per day during cycling. Only do this if you have no pets in the aquarium which need less light, or which need darkness. The increased light leads to faster cycling.

4. Use as many air stones and air pumps as you have access to, which will fit in the aquarium. Keep them all running all the time. This leads to increased oxygenation, which leads to faster cycling. Only do this if you have no pets in the aquarium which need calm, or still water.

5. Keep the filter running the entire time the aquarium is undergoing the cycling process. This increases water flow, and insures that good bacteria build up in the filter material, both of which lead to faster cycling.

fins_n_fur
01-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Yes on the heat and temp, I wouldn't bother with the lights as of yet, filter must run continuously, and depending upon how you have the filter setup, an airstone can help the process. I don't see anything about adding ammonia. You need to have a source of ammonia to ensure that the filter is colonized by the needed bacteria to cycle the tank. I'm assuming this is a fishless cycle?

TazManiac
01-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Sounds to me like he is talking about cycling with fish so no ammonia would be added. He is always saying ...only if you have no pets that require less....

Aaron

Slow Cheetah
01-17-2009, 10:54 AM
sorry, yes this is a fishless cycle. does ammonia only get added when its a cycle using fish?
thanks

fraggle
01-17-2009, 11:25 AM
No mate!!! You definately don't add ammonia when you have fish in it! You add ammonia instead of fish.

Scruffeh
01-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Go to your local super market/hardware store and buy a litre or gallon, whatever you have, of "soapless PURE Ammonia" its very important that its soapless becuase soap kills fish. And you'll find yourself having to completely clean your tank and start over otherwise. I would fill an eye dropper with ammonia and put in a drop or two, then test the water about an hour later to see what your ammonia levels are. I think you want them around 4ppm, I'll need verification on that. Good luck mate!

fins_n_fur
01-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Please go read the stickies in the cycling thread ( http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/forumdisplay.php?f=111 ) and come back if you have more questions, we're always pleased to help!

Slow Cheetah
01-17-2009, 11:00 PM
ok thanks and one last one
does the tank need to have water changes during cycling and if so how often

Shea
01-17-2009, 11:04 PM
I got a question to if you dont mind me asking in your thread....

When you add in the drops of ammonia how long do you have to wait until you have to test it. Right after? Hour later?

I know it needs to be 5ppm.

Lady Hobbs
01-17-2009, 11:10 PM
Just mix it up well and test it.

Alfcea
01-17-2009, 11:31 PM
hey i completely cleaned out my 10 gal tank today and cleaned all media and ornaments etc. i got this info from http://www.bluecrayfish.com/cycle.htm by David Klima. is this good advice? i wanted to check incase
if it is ok, can i only do a couple of the tasks as i have the tank in my bedroom so i cant leave on the light all night etc. thanks in advance.
INFO BELOW

1. Run the aquarium at a high temperature, up in the low to mid eighties, Fahrenheit. Only do this if you have no pets in the aquarium which need lower temperatures. The higher temperature leads to faster cycling.

2. Keep the tank only about 50-65% full. This creates a waterfall effect as the water leaves the filter, and when the water from the filter hits the surface of the aquarium water, there is a great deal of water turbulence, exposing more water to more air more quickly, and leading to increased oxygenation, and thus, faster cycling.

3. Keep the aquarium light on 24 hours per day during cycling. Only do this if you have no pets in the aquarium which need less light, or which need darkness. The increased light leads to faster cycling.

4. Use as many air stones and air pumps as you have access to, which will fit in the aquarium. Keep them all running all the time. This leads to increased oxygenation, which leads to faster cycling. Only do this if you have no pets in the aquarium which need calm, or still water.

5. Keep the filter running the entire time the aquarium is undergoing the cycling process. This increases water flow, and insures that good bacteria build up in the filter material, both of which lead to faster cycling.

I totally agree with most of these pieces of advice. Increased temperature and oxygenation will lead to a faster growth of the bacterial colonies and therefore, the cycling process will finish faster. However, I do not see how increased lighting could help, and in fact, it could lead to an algae infestation if the water is nutrient rich (and it will be, since you will be adding nitrogen in the form of ammonia)....

Be aware that you will be seeing some diatoms after the first month of the system being up and running. This is normal and they will go away eventually...