PDA

View Full Version : Sick Betta! Help!

s72450
01-17-2009, 07:34 AM
I posted a topc before about how I was trying to acclimate my male betta into a community tank. Well after the first few times things went well and then out of the blue the female cherry barbs turned on him, nipping fins and just all around stressing him out.

I had him in a breeder net to get him used to the other fish in the tank and vice versa and normally he is a beautiful shade of dark red and I came home today to find his color has drained and he's very still, will only move when I touch the breeder net, although he did eat three pellets of food tonight.

I moved him into my 2.5g "hospital tank" where it's a bit warmer and I was going to use some medication on him if I fould figure out what to use on him. The hospital tank is cycled and water conditions are all good, but I'm really worried about my little guy.

I'm not sure what the color loss means and that worries me more than anything. Any help is greatly appreciated, I just want to help him out and hopefully not lose him.

Thanks guys!

Sharon
01-17-2009, 12:27 PM
I would say he's terribly stressed...maybe a small permanent home with no tankmates is what he needs?

s72450
01-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Right now his only option is the "hospital tank", at least until next weekend when I can afford to get him his own tank. He does seem to be doing a bit better this morning, he made it through the night which pleases me.

I'm just going to assume putting him in another tank will help for the most part, at least on the stress?

lovleeko
01-17-2009, 05:28 PM
It still baffles me that cherry barbs are doing this. I keep cherry barbs with my bettas. I know that all fish are different but I have never seen a cherry barb get nippy. IDK

I would leave him for a day or so and see how he is looking then. If he has not colored back up then take action. Is he eating?

Wild Turkey
01-17-2009, 05:39 PM
I know ive said it before, but sometimes the introduction of a betta and just its presence can bring the worst out of fish.

How big is the hospital tank? If its 2.5g+ id say thats suitable until you can get him something nice

s72450
01-18-2009, 03:30 AM
Yes the tank is a 2.5g with a heater but I took the filter out due to a large current.

I'm very shocked at how the cherry barbs turned as well. I worried that the males were following him around, but went into the kitchen and when I came back into the living room the two females were just going to town on poor Ares.

He did eat last night, he's staying near the top of the water, close to the heater. He ate maybe one pellet tonight, but left the other two. I turned out the light in the tank so he could get some rest.

dancethenparty
01-18-2009, 03:38 AM
yes the loss of color is due to how stressed he is. he should get better though. you should have a filter for him however. maybe something for him to hide in? that will reduce the stress.

s72450
01-18-2009, 04:44 AM
I could put the filter back in, but it really takes up alot of space in the tank and the current is pretty strong.

wolf_eyes
01-18-2009, 06:56 AM
what type of filter is it? If you have a clear plastic up or soda bottle you could make a free diffuser. I use this on my tank and it works really well

http://www.petfish.net/articles/Do-It-Yourself/currentkill.php

s72450
01-18-2009, 08:14 AM
It's a Whisper filter, made for a 2-5 gallon tank. It came with the setup when I bought it, it was a "kit".

korith
01-18-2009, 09:08 AM
It's a Whisper filter, made for a 2-5 gallon tank. It came with the setup when I bought it, it was a "kit".

Take a large sponge and cut a large hole in it, and stick the filter through it. So the sponge is up to the filter outtake, that should help cut down on force of the current in the tank. Or at the very least help spread it out.

Might have to keep those barbs and betta in their own tanks if it keeps up.

s72450
01-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Well I've decided that it's just not worth the risk to his life to try and put him back into the tank. Thanks for the advice on the filter! I'll give it a try.

korith
01-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Well I've decided that it's just not worth the risk to his life to try and put him back into the tank. Thanks for the advice on the filter! I'll give it a try.

Less stressful too for him.

s72450
01-18-2009, 08:37 PM
I hate to do that, because he really seemed to like it in the big tank, but it's not worth it if he's going to be hurt. I'm thinking about getting a 30 gallon to house my males, I have five. I would divide the tank up and not allow them to see one another, thus giving each six gallons with lots of plants and caves to hide in.

At this point I have six tanks running and I love my bettas but the number of tanks is starting to really look bad to me, so I'm thinking of combining and just having two tanks, my community tank and then my male betta tank.

lovleeko
01-18-2009, 10:16 PM
You dont have anywhere you could stick the cherries?

s72450
01-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Well there isn't a need for it. Ares passed just about ten minutes ago. I was watching his tank and he suddenly went still and that was it. I feel like a horrible person right now. I've never lost a betta. Ares wasn't my first fish, but he was the friendliest one I had and had such a great personality.

I know you learn in this hobby, but it doesn't make me feel any better right now.

wolf_eyes
01-18-2009, 11:53 PM
*hug* I'm sorry for you loss. its always hard when you lose a pet. You gave him a good life, so don't feel too bad about yourself.