PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Regional forum sections

Shea
01-17-2009, 03:33 AM
The reason being is it would be easier for members to locate or establish local fish clubs, sell or get rid of their fish/aquarium/parts, and help others with setting up and maintaining their aquariums.

Just an idea.

I havent seen any section of this type. If there is please post up a link and disregard this thread.

Hope this gets going. It would be pretty awesome for all of us.thumbs2:

IF ANYONE AGREES THAT THIS IS A GOOD IDEA PLEASE POST IT UP. THE MORE INTEREST THE MORE THE POSSIBILITY OF IT BECOMING.

AABatteries
01-17-2009, 03:59 AM
It would be cool, but there aren't that many people. There are 2 other members(not including my bro) that live near me. If there is somebody near you, just talk to them via PMs.

Shea
01-17-2009, 04:30 AM
It would be cool, but there aren't that many people. There are 2 other members(not including my bro) that live near me. If there is somebody near you, just talk to them via PMs.

Haven't seen any but then again I am not on here as often as others. Having the regional sections would make it easier to find others as well. Might be surprised how many people one might find in their area.

I think this is the ONLY thing this forum is missing. If it had regional sections I think it would be perfect.

TazManiac
01-17-2009, 06:45 AM
Even just country specific sections would be handy.

Maybe break the USA and Canada up into West, Central and East and have country specific sections for a few others like Australia.

Shea
01-17-2009, 06:53 AM
That'll work to. Those can always be broken down to sub categories as well.

AABatteries
01-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Even just country specific sections would be handy.

Maybe break the USA and Canada up into West, Central and East and have country specific sections for a few others like Australia.

I like that idea. thumbs2:

Rue
01-17-2009, 04:14 PM
It's not an idea I'm fond of.

Almost every region has it's own aquarium club and website - better to join and participate in those. And if there isn't one - start one up!

The beauty of sites like this one is that we all interact with each other.

Lady Hobbs
01-17-2009, 04:23 PM
The reason being is it would be easier for members to locate or establish local fish clubs, sell or get rid of their fish/aquarium/parts, and help others with setting up and maintaining their aquariums.

Actually, I think this site does a great job of helping others set up the tanks and we have our own classified forum for selling. You can also sell on AquaBid or Ebay as well but I am all for keeping our members right here at home.
:l19:

Shea
01-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Actually, I think this site does a great job of helping others set up the tanks and we have our own classified forum for selling. You can also sell on AquaBid or Ebay as well but I am all for keeping our members right here at home.
:l19:

Oh I'm not at all saying that this site doesn't help because it DOES. That's why I joined it:ssmile: . The help, stickies, and amount of active members who are very knowledgeable in this field that are willing to help are plentiful.

What I am saying is...... this forum is very broad. It covers a large area (the whole world). Finding local organizations or members who share the same passion for this hobby is nearly impossible. With regional sections this forum would be that much better IMO.

Sure you can find pretty much everything you need on here from setting up an aquarium to caring for special species of both plants and fish. That doesn't account for the people who would need local helping hands to get things going. Someone mentioned before that you could join or begin a local fish organization/club....with the addition of regional forums to find actual members in one's area it would make it that much easier to get things going on that.

As for the classfieds in the regional sections...sure we can look on ebay and other types of buying/search engines to find what we want at a bargain. Whats missing there is the perks like being able to go and see the parts/fish/etc before purchase. Not only does it give the buyer a chance to meet them or go to their house to pick the parts up so they dont have to pay for shipping but their would be less chance of a disagreement, confrontation, etc between the buyer and seller as they meet face to face to look at the parts and make their deals.

I still fail to see how this is a bad idea or how one would not think this is a good idea.

Lady Hobbs
01-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Not a bad idea at all. I was just pitching this forum. LOL Getting my brownie points, you know. :)

Shea
01-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Not a bad idea at all. I was just pitching this forum. LOL Getting my brownie points, you know. :)

lol i understand.

So what needs to be done to make this a reality?

Rue
01-17-2009, 06:25 PM
I still fail to see how this is a bad idea or how one would not think this is a good idea.

It's not an idea I'm fond of.

Almost every region has it's own aquarium club and website - better to join and participate in those. And if there isn't one - start one up!

The beauty of sites like this one is that we all interact with each other.

In the larger SW forums I participate in, as soon as this happens you get cliques starting, and less people interacting...hence my previous opinion...

Lady Hobbs
01-17-2009, 06:33 PM
I have forwarded to the Administrator for his take on this.

Shea
01-17-2009, 06:36 PM
In the larger SW forums I participate in, as soon as this happens you get cliques starting, and less people interacting...hence my previous opinion...

Cliques? I wouldnt let the maturity level of people on another forum be the deciding factor on this idea. Each forum consists of certain types of people. This forum is, from the looks of it, has alot more mature and interactive members. There's features on here such as the awards, reputation points, individual species section, potm, totm, etc that attract people and would keep them from "hanging out" in their regional sections. If posts were to be posted up in regional sections asking (for example) a type of barb a Mod could move it to its proper location keeping the flow to all sections consistent. That's one of the many jobs Mods do to begin with.

Shea
01-17-2009, 06:39 PM
I have forwarded to the Administrator for his take on this.

Awesome! Thank you. Hopefully we get some feedback soonthumbs2:

Rue
01-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Sure, you might not get involved in a smaller group...but what about others?

At any rate...not up to me...

Shea
01-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Sure, you might not get involved in a smaller group...but what about others?

At any rate...not up to me...

Goes back to what I said 3 posts above. There's other features on this site that aren't on other forums that keep the traffic flowing and cliques from developing.

To each their own.

doug z
01-17-2009, 06:52 PM
I think it'd be neat if there were a link on this forum with a map that showed where each member of this forum lived..

William
01-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Like you need any more brownie points. You know I allready love you!!!

It is not a bad idea. It would however require the creation of a lot of new forums. There is also the risk of many of these forum being very inactive resulting in them not create the benfit suggested. there is a few other potential drawbacks as well.

I will think about and think about how it could be done practically to maximize benefit and minimize the downside.. I am not saying that it is a bad idea because it isn't but I will need to think about it before I promise anything or even decide which way I am leaning because I am sitting on the fence right now.

Shea
01-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Like you need any more brownie points. You know I allready love you!!!

It is not a bad idea. It would however require the creation of a lot of new forums. There is also the risk of many of these forum being very inactive resulting in them not create the benfit suggested. there is a few other potential drawbacks as well.

I will think about and think about how it could be done practically to maximize benefit and minimize the downside.. I am not saying that it is a bad idea because it isn't but I will need to think about it before I promise anything or even decide which way I am leaning because I am sitting on the fence right now.

As far as inactive area's are concerned. If they are indeed inactive you could get rid of it or merge it within another section.

For example, say there was the US divided into 6 regions. If for instance the Southeast region was inactive it can be merged/combined with the northeast and that region could then be change to simply "The East".

I hope that can spur an idea.

I am on MANY forums (non aquatic) for work. Me and the company I work for are vendors on alot of them in our field (automotive/high performance/racing). I have seen tons of different layouts. I know a thing or two when it comes to forums:ssmile: . If I could be of any help or insight dont hesitate to contact me.

Thanks for your time and consideration.