PDA

View Full Version : Hitch-hiker clams

kaybee
01-17-2009, 12:11 AM
I've discovered a couple of hitch hiker clams (or some sort of bivalve, at least) sprouting from a patch of zoanthids. I've known they've been there a while but now they're large enough to be seen fairly well (at least in person). Currently a little larger than a 'fake fingernail' but initially did not exist (or were probably significantly smaller and obscured by polyps) when I purchased these zoanthids over two years ago. I used to think they were bare portions of the live rock until I saw them shut close.

No where near as glamorous or photosynthetic as the tridacna clams (maxima, crocea, deresa) that are sold, but interesting never the less as filter-feeder hitch hikers. There's actually two of them but I can only get a decent shot of the one on the left:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/y2kenny19/Saltwater2009/clam.jpg

They close abruptly anytime one of my fish swims past them.

I don't dose phytoplankton or anything like that.

cocoa_pleco
01-17-2009, 12:37 AM
i had some of those, dont know whats in them as mine had no "meat" in them

Fishguy2727
01-17-2009, 04:43 AM
A few of the really nice pieces of live rock I got had lots of live rock mussels/oysters. A very nice addition, and shows there is enough food for filter feeders.

jimpierce
01-17-2009, 05:59 AM
one of the zoa frags I almost got at my LFS had one of those on it. The guy said it was a muscle of some kind. I think it really added character to the frag of zoas.

rageybug
01-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Nothing wrong with freebies.