PDA

View Full Version : Fishless cycle @ 1 week

190MPH
01-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Well I've reached just past the 1 week mark on my fishless and nothing yet, although today my ammonia test seemed to possibly show a slightly lighter green. After seeing that, I took a good look at the nitrite test and, although hard to tell, it may have been showing signs of becoming a darker shade of the blue, heading towards that light purple color. Or the other possibility is that I'm losing it trying to interpret those API colors:18: !

Lady Hobbs
01-16-2009, 11:06 PM
It will take a couple weeks and if you started with everything new, maybe even 3.

I moved your post to the cycling forum.

Mith
01-17-2009, 05:26 AM
If only I was that far along.... LOL. I'll get there though (crossing fingers). I haven't even bothered doing any water tests. One, I don't know how yet and two, no point since I keep changing out the cloudy water. It will be fun to see your tank finally get a fish in it!!!!!!

190MPH
01-26-2009, 03:46 AM
Well I'm at 2 1/2 weeks, the nitrite has been showing for nearly a week now, and it is clearing out 3-4ppm of ammonia in 12 hrs or lessthumbs2: . I have some nitrate showing(5ppm) but nitrite has been flat for a while, so I'm just waiting for that to spike and clear. I did add a second thermometer last week to help keep the temp a little higher and steadier. I've got my NLS food at the ready and I think I've found where I will buy my stock. I'm getting itchy:shappy: !!!

Lady Hobbs
01-26-2009, 03:53 AM
Drop that ammonia back to around 2. All it's doing now is keeping your bacteria alive.

Wild Turkey
01-26-2009, 03:58 AM
Drop that ammonia back to around 2. All it's doing now is keeping your bacteria alive.

right, if you are eating that much A in 12 hours and you are seeing 0/0/5 ur done :D add fish or maintain 2ppm until the day before you plan to add fish.

190MPH
01-26-2009, 04:01 AM
I will pull it back a bit them, those color variations on the API cards are so close to each other. I'm assuming that my cycle isn't complete yet because I'm still getting 2-4 ppm nitrite, sorry I didn't mention that in the last post. Doesn't this have to spike and clear in 12 hrs or less also, leaving me with high nitrate and a water change due?

Lady Hobbs
01-26-2009, 04:10 AM
Yup. You will have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites and then you do your big water change and add your fish within a short time.

Nice going!

190MPH
01-26-2009, 04:15 AM
Thanks, I'll keep posting updates and some pics when I'm stocked.

Lady Hobbs
01-26-2009, 04:25 AM
Great. Looking forward to it.

You'll be able to stock several fish at once after doing the fishless. You grow a huge bacteria load using ammonia.

Wild Turkey
01-26-2009, 04:36 AM
Yups!! Sorry when you said it was "flat" i thought that meant 0 :14: My b

190MPH
01-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Today's readings show that the nitrite has dropped to around 1ppm from a peak of around 3-4ppm. Could it be that I'm near the end?! I'm going with a school of both Rummynose tetras(mid) and Sterbai cories(bottom) to begin. I will probably add a pleco and pair of kribs or rams a few months from now. Can anyone recommend a good colorful top dweller? I've read about hatchets, but I don't care much for them. I like the Boesman rainbows, but I'm not sure if they're top siders.