PDA

View Full Version : Flame Scallops

rageybug
01-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Anyone here have/want them?

I had two for about 2 years in my tank. I target fed them Marine Snow and they were thriving. I traded them to a friend and he still has them over a year later.

I only ask because I've heard that they can be pretty much impossible to feed and keep alive in a home aquarium.

cocoa_pleco
01-16-2009, 10:02 PM
i wanted one, and the store i go to has a couple dozen at a time, but i heard theyre tough to keep alive so i thought better not

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-16-2009, 10:16 PM
From everything I've read/heard/seen, they are extremely difficult to keep. They can be kept alive short term, however keeping them to their full life expectancy is extremely difficult if not impossible. They need huge amounts of phytoplankton provided for them. Almost all slowly starve to death. The starvation process can take a while though. They also don't like strong lighting so they need to be kept well shaded in a tank as well. Most reefs are far too bright for their liking.

cocoa_pleco
01-16-2009, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE=ILuvMyGoldBarbThey also don't like strong lighting so they need to be kept well shaded in a tank as well. Most reefs are far too bright for their liking.[/QUOTE]

was considering one but i have halides so its a no go. lol

William
01-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Have heard they should be a hard species as well. But my hat of to those who keep them successfully longterm. For those lucky few they are a stunning addition.

rageybug
01-16-2009, 10:19 PM
I've never heard of a flame scallop taking several years to starve to death... must have been some interesting reading you found. I'm interested to read the article, could you post a link if you still have it?

rageybug
01-16-2009, 10:22 PM
was considering one but i have halides so its a no go. lol

I have T5 lights and they did fine, they often move around the tank to find the best place, kind of like anemone do. If they want shade they find it, and if they want light, they find that too!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-16-2009, 10:27 PM
The starving over "years" was over blown data I was given. I expect the reason your's did so well was due the fact that you were feeding large amounts of filter feeding foods anyway. You are in a very very small minority of people that have kept them alive longer than 6 months. For an animal that should live at least 3 years, 6 months for a very large majority of them is a dismal record.

rageybug
01-17-2009, 03:34 AM
I guess I'm just lucky!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-17-2009, 03:41 AM
What was your feeding routine like for them?

Fishguy2727
01-17-2009, 04:41 AM
I would like to get an electric flame scallop. There are dark areas in every tank for species who prefer it. I have no mechanical filtration at all and have no problem feeding filter feeder foods, I already have lots of filter feeders (at least four species of sponges, feather dusters, live rock oysters, etc.). I just haven't seen any available lately.

rageybug
01-17-2009, 07:15 AM
We got the plain old flame scallops to try before getting the electric flame scallop. My wife is nuts for the electric ones. You should have success in your tank as long as you target Marine Snow or similar every other day or so. I just use a syringe and it does the trick! You don't have to actually shoot it into it's mouth, just put it into the current leading up to the scallop.

Maybe post some picks if you decide to get one.

rageybug
01-17-2009, 08:47 PM
I would like to get an electric flame scallop. There are dark areas in every tank for species who prefer it. I have no mechanical filtration at all and have no problem feeding filter feeder foods, I already have lots of filter feeders (at least four species of sponges, feather dusters, live rock oysters, etc.). I just haven't seen any available lately.

http://aquarium-fish.liveaquaria.com/search?p=Q&srid=S11-3&ts=custom&lbc=liveaquaria&uid=529529284&w=flame%20scallop

Fishguy2727
01-18-2009, 02:02 AM
I meant in person. I don't buy live things online, I have to see it in person before I hand over my hard-earned money for it.