PDA

View Full Version : Who would be happiest?

Glub
01-16-2009, 09:14 PM
I have a 30x12x18 29gal with an AquaClear 70. It's currently empty. No water, no substrate, although I have a bag of eco-complete and fluorite which I plan to mix.

My main goal is to learn as much as I can about growing plants. But I also like fish :)

I know I'm keeping Kuhli loaches. No question there...

But I want 1 other species around...

I'm responsible enough not to kill the fish if I know how to look after them, and I've kept enough aquariums in the past to know what sort of things I need to find out before I go and buy them.

I don't mind doing water changes frequently if that's what's needed. I also don't mind planning the aquarium around the fish's preferences a bit, as long as it doesn't kill the plants.

So I'm just wondering, out of all those fish cramped into their temporary overcrowded aquariums in the store, which one would be happiest to finally get out and have a planted 29gal to swim around in with a few others of its kind and a few kuhlis?

Who would get the best use out of all the cover my plants will provide (I'm willing to select plants for the fish specifically, I have no list of plants I absolutely must grow).

For awhile I was thinking of keeping neons, but I can't make up my mind (though I still have plenty of time before I'm ready to buy any).

Specifically female bettas come to mind for me.

I've kept TONS of bettas before, so I'm pretty familiar with their requirements and maintenance. I'm sure some females wouldn't mind getting out of their 15gal with 15+ others and only 2 plastic plants for cover. They've also got loads of personality, they're fairly easy to distinguish from one another, and you get to learn their pecking order after awhile.

But I'm still not set on anything, and the aquarium isn't even ready to be set up yet, so I'm just stuck thinking about it... So many fish to pick from...

The number of kuhlis still isn't decided, but from what I've been advised for their happiness, 4-6 would be a good number.

Dave66
01-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Glub,
Since the loaches are SE Asia fish, perhaps you'd like to stay in continents and go with a Rasbora school. Lots of pretty fish in the group, and as they like different strata in the aquarium, you could go with 18 Harlequins and perhaps 8 dorsocellatus in your 29, and if well-planted, could be a stunning tank. The harlequins like a level about in the lower third, the dorsocellatus the upper third.

Dave

Glub
01-16-2009, 11:30 PM
I like your thinking...

So if I wanted to go as native species as I could for the kuhli's environment and tankmates, what biotope would I be looking to recreate?

Could I get an example of a river and some information about its waters where the khulis can be found so I can look up what else actually lives in that water?

I think I just found a new aspect to this project:11:

Rue
01-16-2009, 11:37 PM
...I happen to luv my betta girls...they're happy in my 25 g tank (not a planted tank, but a tank with plants in it)...

cer
01-16-2009, 11:38 PM
1 male betta?

Glub
01-17-2009, 12:10 AM
I was thinking of putting a male betta in a 10gal with some live plants. Although in the 29? It's a thought, maybe...

fishbum
01-17-2009, 12:36 AM
I like the rasbora idea as well.I have a small school of them,great little schooling fish.Very pretty.Wish I had room for more.

Northernguy
01-17-2009, 12:49 AM
I would have said get some Cardinals and Rams Or Kribs.
Thats just my 2 cents though! lol

Glub
01-17-2009, 01:58 AM
Cichlids have always been on my "I'd like to try keeping those" list, but I've always been under the impression that they could be difficult to maintain.

It's been awhile, so I'm hesitant to jump into anything that's going to present challenges I've never had to worry much about, but I've never looked into them that much either to be honest.

Northernguy
01-17-2009, 02:07 AM
Cichlids have always been on my "I'd like to try keeping those" list, but I've always been under the impression that they could be difficult to maintain.

It's been awhile, so I'm hesitant to jump into anything that's going to present challenges I've never had to worry much about, but I've never looked into them that much either to be honest.

Cichlids are wonderful fish and because they are not usually kept in large schools their personality really comes out.
Cichlids are an easy to keep fish as long as they have the space and you are willing to keep up their water quality.

Wild Turkey
01-17-2009, 02:30 AM
There are a lot of tetra types out there..
heres some of the more common ones with pics though
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=33956

Dave66
01-17-2009, 07:10 AM
I like your thinking...

So if I wanted to go as native species as I could for the kuhli's environment and tankmates, what biotope would I be looking to recreate?

Could I get an example of a river and some information about its waters where the khulis can be found so I can look up what else actually lives in that water?

I think I just found a new aspect to this project:11:

Glub,
Kuhli Loaches are from Indonesia, Java and Borneo specifically, like a great number of Cryptocoryne plants are. Many, many barbs and rasboras are from there as well. A biotope tank would duplicate a small, forest stream, with mud and/or gravel bottoms, a carpet of Crypts on the bottom, and bogwood and rounded stones. A gentle linear flow via power heads would duplicate the stream.
I've got a picture of the kinds of creeks, ditches and streams those fish come from floating around on one of my external drives. I'll post it if I can find it.
Your kuhlis: http://www.loaches.com/species-index/pangio-kuhlii

Dave

Taurus
01-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Glub,
Since the loaches are SE Asia fish, perhaps you'd like to stay in continents and go with a Rasbora school. Lots of pretty fish in the group, and as they like different strata in the aquarium, you could go with 18 Harlequins and perhaps 8 dorsocellatus in your 29, and if well-planted, could be a stunning tank. The harlequins like a level about in the lower third, the dorsocellatus the upper third.

Dave

Obiously, I love Harelquins! I wish more members of the Rasbora family were commonly available!

Glub
01-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks, I think it would be best if I went with the biotope idea.

Fish would be happiest, and gives me some guidelines on what to put in there.

I found these sites to have some interesting information for anyone else interested in setting something like this up.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_2/cav2i6/biotopes_p1/biotopes_p1.htm

http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_thai_creek.htm

Mind you, I don't know if it's accurate or not.