PDA

View Full Version : Pitbull Plecos

gaddygurl02
01-31-2006, 08:15 PM
i am thinking about ordering a pitbull pleco and was wondering how large they get and if they need other pitbulls for company :?:
any other information about them would be wonderful
thanx

William
02-01-2006, 04:49 AM
Pitbull plecos (LDA25) grow to be 5 cm / 2 inches long and should not be kept with large fish.

They are very good algae eaters and scavangers and is best kept in schools. Breeding pittbull plecos can be done in much the same way as breeding corydoras catfish.

temp 21-26C pH 6.5-7.5

Anything else you want to know about pittbull plecos?

gaddygurl02
02-01-2006, 05:59 AM
thanx,

how do you breed them, where can i go under to find them and how can i tell whether it's a male or female?

William
02-02-2006, 04:17 AM
Read some of the articles about breeding corydoras catfish on this site (can be found in the catfish section) for information about how to breed them. They can be breed in the same way.

Sexing a pitbull pleco is not that easy but can be done by looking at their pelvic fins. The females have a shorter fin that ends before the base of the anal fin. The males have a alonger pelvic fin that reaches further back than the base of the anal fin.

I don't know where you can by pitbull plecos at the moment. check local stores and online.

gaddygurl02
02-02-2006, 05:06 AM
thanx for the help my LFS ordered some for me so i hope i can get one male and one female.

William
02-03-2006, 08:14 AM
One female and 2-3 males would be better if you want to breed them.