PDA

View Full Version : Clear?

cer
01-16-2009, 01:05 AM
How can I get clearer shots? I am not getting a different camera. I was just wondeing if anybody had any little helpful hints? Below is as clear as I can get.

Deleted User
01-16-2009, 01:07 AM
How can I get clearer shots? I am not getting a different camera. I was just wondeing if anybody had any little helpful hints? Below is as clear as I can get.

Hi Cer what camera are you using and what settings please ?

cer
01-16-2009, 01:13 AM
It is a Pentax Pptio m20. It is set on super macro. It is also set on a setting called flower.

Fishalicious
01-16-2009, 01:15 AM
I would use the macro or sport setting and change the ISO from 400 to 200 - your exposure is at 1/15' which is fine... change the F3.5 to F5.6

Did you blow this image up (cut it out) from the original?

Deleted User
01-16-2009, 01:16 AM
It is a Pentax Pptio m20. It is set on super macro. It is also set on a setting called flower.

It looks to me like you have your ISO setting on way too high for macro shots. I see your camera is a point and shoot. Are you able to adjust the ISO setting to 100 - 200 ?

cer
01-16-2009, 01:20 AM
I will try. How do you do that stuff?

Deleted User
01-16-2009, 01:31 AM
I will try. How do you do that stuff?

I can't find a user maual on line for your camera.

You should be able to change it through your settings menu. If you have a quick look in your manual it will tell you how.

Look under ISO settings :)

cer
01-16-2009, 01:37 AM
My camera is out of batteries. Maybe at 6:00 tomorrow I will have the batteries.

Deleted User
01-16-2009, 01:54 AM
My camera is out of batteries. Maybe at 6:00 tomorrow I will have the batteries.

Ok Cer thumbs2:

cer
01-16-2009, 01:56 AM
But do not forget about the thread.

Deleted User
01-16-2009, 02:01 AM
But do not forget about the thread.

I wouldn't do that to you Cer. I'm here to try and help out where I can. :ssmile:

stephane.savard
01-16-2009, 01:06 PM
I'll add my own few cents to this thread as I've been experimenting with taking pictures of my own fish for the past two days and learned a thing or two :-)

1) 1/15th of a second for the shutter speed is a bit slow and at this point some of the blurriness you're experiencing may be due to your hands shaking ever so slightly, or the fish moving.

Given this, if you decrease your ISO from 400 to 200, and increase the aperature from f/3.5 to f/5.6, the shutter speed will become so low as to be unusable (too little light reaching a less sensitive sensor).

Try adding more light such as flash, table lamps, etc (I know, easier said than done!). If you arn't already doing so, a tripod can help.

2) Even when using macro mode on a camera, there is a minimum focusing distance that you may be exceeding, i.e. it could simply be that you are too close to the actual fish. Try backing away 4-5 inches and see if the pictures are still as blurry.

3) Also related to macro, though not as pronounced on compact cameras versus SLRs, the depth of field, i.e. the portion of the picture that appears in focus, is very narrow. That means that after you set the focus, even a slight movement of the camera forward or backwards can cause whatever was in focus to leave focus.

4) My own experience shows that the camera must be as close to perpendicular to the glass as possible, trying to take any picture at an angle to the glass will always result in a blurry picture. This was my number 1 cause of blurriness in my own pictures!

I hope this helps, I know first hand how it can be frustrating to take a picture of a fish, especially a 1.5 inch Siamese Algae Eater that's furiously cleaning the leaves of a crypt! :-)