PDA

View Full Version : Jack demsey male and female

awsome JD's
01-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Hello again. i was wondering if any of you could tell me the difference between a male and a female jack demsey i have herd a few ways and im not sure who to listen to. So if any one could tell me the truth so i can ge my breeding under way that would be greatly appriciated thumbs2:

Crispy
01-15-2009, 10:42 PM
males tend to be more blue/black in color, while females are paler.

awsome JD's
01-16-2009, 01:44 AM
would you happen to have pictures of both because my eyes dont see color well and if i had refrence it would be a little easier

toddnbecka
01-16-2009, 01:56 AM
Breeding juct about any cichlid species is best done by starting with 5-6 juvies, and allowing them to pair off on their own. After you have an established pair swap off the extras.

awsome JD's
01-16-2009, 03:02 AM
thats what i tried to do but they seem to be all fairly agressive towards one another they all were fairly dark expecially when the water is warmer then average they seen to be all males so i kept the big one and returned the others ???? should i try again?

The Shield
02-01-2009, 12:00 AM
they seem to be all fairly agressive towards one another they all were fairly dark expecially when the water is warmer then average
I've had Dempsey's for years now, with my current one being 8 years old and about 9 inches in length, and I've learned that the higher the temperature the more aggressive they become. I agree with the above post about getting 6-8 and hope 2 pair off. The chance of getting just 2 and having them breed is VERY slim.

With that said, I've had females with vibrant color and males that are pale, which goes against everything I've ever been told about sexing them.