PDA

View Full Version : Siamese algae eaters

lovleeko
01-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Got a pair of these the other day. They are true Siamese and not false. YAY But I didn't think these fish were crazy attractive. But I have never been crazy about plecos and wanted something to help get rid of the brown algae faster because I dont mind supplementing after the brown algae is gone. Anyhoo, these things are tedious workers!! They knocked a dent in the immense amount of brown algae on everything! I mean I could see the difference within hours and they are just tiny things right now not even two inches. I can't imagine how much they would eat at six inches! Anyone else have these?

lovleeko
01-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Or at least I guess I might have Longei because there is some serious algae eating happening from both of them! Oh ans they school with black neons too LOL!

Fishalicious
01-15-2009, 06:39 PM
I have 4 of these lovely guys (3 different types) the real algae eating ones can be spotted by the black blotch under on their abdomen

they actually are physically incabable of not moving so are busy little guys all day long - i love them even though they are not seen as very pretty i think they are brilliant :11:

Enjoy!!!!

lovleeko
01-15-2009, 06:46 PM
I have 4 of these lovely guys (3 different types) the real algae eating ones can be spotted by the black blotch under on their abdomen

they actually are physically incabable of not moving so are busy little guys all day long - i love them even though they are not seen as very pretty i think they are brilliant :11:

Enjoy!!!!

Thanks, I haven't checked for the blotch under the belly. I will though thanks. I checked the snout and barbels and they are getting busy on the algae so I assumed they were the algae eating type. On places were there was thick algae you can actually see where they have been eating it. Are all the species incapable of not moving? I do remember reading that their swim bladder was under developed.

Fishalicious
01-15-2009, 07:19 PM
yeah it is due to the under developed swim bladder...all the cross. have it...i don't know where they get their energy from..guess algae is to them like spinach is to popeye :hmm3grin2orange:

lovleeko
01-15-2009, 07:57 PM
yeah it is due to the under developed swim bladder...all the cross. have it...i don't know where they get their energy from..guess algae is to them like spinach is to popeye :hmm3grin2orange:

LOL! I can't find one at the moment but now I'm truly confused because one of them doesn't have the blotch under his belly but was eating algae as I looked! What could this mean. He looks exactly like the one in your pic of the one that does eat algae. IDK Confusion!!