PDA

View Full Version : Missing clown goby...

labnjab
01-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Can anything I have eat it/ kill it. I can't find our clown goby. He's not stuck to a powerhead, under any rocks, or in my sump, and he didn't jump out. I can't find him or any remains anywhere, and he's usually the center of attention. I have a frogspawn, torch, and open brain, as well as coral banded shrimp. Could any of these killed and/or ate him. I know it likes to sit on coral, could it have sat on the wrong one and got stung. I'm not showing any ammonia spike, so I don't think its dead and lying around. I saw him last night after lights out.

Rue
01-15-2009, 06:30 PM
They're very good at hiding, so don't give up hope quite yet.

I did try a couple, but one died almost immediately, and I'm assuming the other one is also dead. But he did surprise me a couple of times!

cocoa_pleco
01-15-2009, 06:40 PM
theyre good hiders, but if he did die from something, the CUC can take care of the remains in minutes

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-15-2009, 06:54 PM
I have to agree with Cocoa for sure. If a small fish like that dies sometime in the night, the chances of actually finding any remains is very small as a good CUC will take care of it in short order. Don't give up yet, he may yet pop out somewhere. They are pretty good hiders.

rageybug
01-15-2009, 07:41 PM
The litle guy is probably hanging out in the rocks. Mine disappears for days at a time. Just stick it out and it will probably show up. If you really want to know, try some tasty new food, might bring him out to try it.

oldhead
01-15-2009, 07:46 PM
I had the same type thing happen over the summer with a chromis. Looked everywhere several times. Finally found him a few weeks ago under a pile of tubing inside my stand, he'd jumped...... There is still the possibility that he's in there and hiding I'm sure. But be sure that you look even in places around the tank you're assuming that he might not be. Cause you might see him there.

labnjab
01-15-2009, 10:30 PM
I just looked all around the tank and know he didn't jump. I turned off the powerheads (that's when they know its dinner time) and still no sign of him. I'll give him a few days and keep an eye on ammonia to check for spikes, which I luckily don't have any yet. My frogspawn is looking a little fat, but I doubt it ate it, but could it or the torch have stung it? I know the clown goby ate yesterday and looked 100% healthy, so I don't know whats going on. If he's hiding, something must have scared him because he has never hid before, he's usually sitting on some zoas or on some sps. I know the female clown has been getting a little agressive lately, so she could have scared or nipped him. I'll keep you updated and thank you for the help

travie
01-16-2009, 02:32 AM
Check all the parts of your overflow, tubing and all?

labnjab
01-16-2009, 02:38 AM
Yep, thats one of the first things I checked, it didn't come out at dinner either, maybe it was abducted...jk

labnjab
01-16-2009, 11:43 PM
I think its safe to say its gone, and has been consumed by the CUC. I don't know what happened, it looked healthy. I don't think I'll get another. Now the challenge of deciding what other fish to get to go along with the clowns