PDA

View Full Version : Nice for Betta tank

fishlover49
01-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Not sure if everyone has seen this. This works great if you have a Betta or some other fish that doesn't like fast water current. I use this on my power filter for my Betta.

http://www.petfish.net/articles/Do-It-Yourself/currentkill.php

Wild Turkey
01-15-2009, 05:18 PM
LOL

"(I outlined the edge of the sheet so you can tell where it goes) Then you're done, go play in traffic or something."

:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks for sharing!thumbs2:

Glub
01-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Wow, that's great! I was just going to stick something to the glass that the water could fall on, but this looks much simpler, and more reliable.

Poofaye C.
01-15-2009, 05:24 PM
So simple. So who's gonna market that?

I want my 10%!!!

Northernguy
01-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Does it have to be Pepsi Vanilla?:hmm3grin2orange:
I hate that stuff!

That idea has been used around here for a while now and posted by others but thats the first time I see that.
Thanks for sharing!

fishlover49
01-15-2009, 05:52 PM
LOL

"(I outlined the edge of the sheet so you can tell where it goes) Then you're done, go play in traffic or something."

Thanks for sharing!thumbs2:

Yep, this guy is to the point. :hmm3grin2orange:

fishlover49
01-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Does it have to be Pepsi Vanilla?:hmm3grin2orange:
I hate that stuff!

That idea has been used around here for a while now and posted by others but thats the first time I see that.
Thanks for sharing!

I used regular Pepsi myself....thumbs2:

fishlover49
01-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Wow, that's great! I was just going to stick something to the glass that the water could fall on, but this looks much simpler, and more reliable.

It is very simple. I just taped mine on. Works great! thumbs2:

fishlover49
01-15-2009, 05:55 PM
So simple. So who's gonna market that?

I want my 10%!!!

terrapin24h
01-15-2009, 06:30 PM
that's cool. I often thought if the same affect could be achieved by attaching a coarse sponge to the chute. The water would have to run through the sponge and would get dispersed. Make a heck of a bio filter too

--chris

korith
01-15-2009, 06:36 PM
I did something similar for my shrimp tank, instead of taping the plastic on, I drilled two holes and used plastic screws to hold it in.

Glub
01-15-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm wondering if there's any way you could grow some sort of plant off your filter to disrupt the water.

Would be more appealing to look at than half a coke bottle.

Would the current be too strong? I'd imagine you'd have to stick some sort of meshing to it for the plants to cling to.

Wild Turkey
01-15-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm wondering if there's any way you could grow some sort of plant off your filter to disrupt the water.

Would the current be too strong? I'd imagine you'd have to stick some sort of meshing to it for the plants to cling to.

Its works for some internal filters. I do it with my whisper 20, just stuff so java moss into the top when you clean the media, it will grow down the water flow and looks great. Other wise that filter always grows algae in that spot anyway, being so close to the top of the tank and laying flat like it does.

Glub
01-15-2009, 07:33 PM
If the moss actually cuts water flow significantly, I think that's exactly what I plan to do with it.

korith
01-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Hmm pieces of moss would break from the filter though and eventually end up all over the tank.

wolf_eyes
01-15-2009, 08:56 PM
if you use a clear cup its practically invisible anyways. I use this trick on my tank, and I never even notice it.

fishlover49
01-15-2009, 09:38 PM
You can use a water bottle and just take the label off. You can't really even notice they are on there. It isn't a very big piece. The top is attached to the top of the PF and the other piece tucks in nicely under the flow. It doesn't look gaudy at all.

lovleeko
01-15-2009, 09:55 PM
that's cool. I often thought if the same affect could be achieved by attaching a coarse sponge to the chute. The water would have to run through the sponge and would get dispersed. Make a heck of a bio filter too

--chris

VEry true. I am always clogging up my filters trying to put media in there that is too big. Always works to slow down the flow non to my liking LOL. Though I would think the way that was posted would allow more suction. IDK

Thanks for sharing