PDA

View Full Version : Brackish Water Tank advice

Doak6021
01-15-2009, 02:57 PM
I am currently putting together a 75g tank with 29g SUMP. I plan this to be a brackish water tank. I will be getting just over 300gph through the SUMP. The SUMP will hold all sorts of media filter and also a protein skimmer that will help out a lot as time goes on and I start to convert from fresh to brackish. Everything seem to be coming in place so its time to see what fish are going to be in this tank.

The reason I am going for a brackish water is b/c I really like the columbian shark. So this is the fish that will have to stay constant in all the advice that is going to be given to me. In my research I also discovered the Panther Goby that really interested me. Right now my plans for this tank are.

2 - Columbian Sharks
1 - Panther Goby
2 - Green Scats
4 - Monos
Maybe 3-5 Lyretail Mollies

This question is more on fish compatability and not whether my tank can handle the bio load or not.

Doak6021
01-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Well it seems no one is interested but just in case. I'm adding a few more fish to the equation. Not all fish will be in tank. Just asking for some advice.

Gauranteed
- 2 Columbian Sharks
- 1 Panther Goby

Would really like at least two of these groups
- 2 Green Scats and/or 4 Monos and/or 3 Archerfish

On the edge
- 3 to 5 Lyretail Mollies and/or 2 Orange Chromides

Rue
01-15-2009, 06:34 PM
I know how to set up a brackish tank...but I'm not so good with all the different fish and compatibility.

Start off slow, with whatever your favourite fish is...and then try a couple more.

Saltwater doesn't hold as many fish as freshwater (volume-wise) - so I assume brackish won't either...

aquakid
01-15-2009, 08:56 PM
archer fish may eat anything under 3 inches or smaller. Id say Monos, scat, columbian shark and goby.

sanddigger
01-17-2009, 06:58 AM
You will be way overstocked with the type of fish you are going to stock in your 75g. Scats, Monos, and Archers get 10 to 12 " full grown let alone the the Goby and Shark you mentioned.

You may want to reconsider what you put in your BW before you stock it. You may be "putting the cart before the horse" as they say..

cer
01-17-2009, 11:45 PM
If you want all of them you will need over 150 gallons.