PDA

View Full Version : Potassium Permanganate for snails and algae

Lady Hobbs
01-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Anyone use this for snail and algae killer? It's really some expensive stuff but can be bought on Ebay by the pound.

You do not put it in your fish tank but soak your plants in it. Supposed to work well for ponds for eliminating algae and cure diseases on koi, too.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Articles.asp?ID=111

Alfcea
01-15-2009, 06:46 AM
Yes, I do! I always disinfect any new plants with potassium permanganate before putting them into my tank. I've never had any problems with it and works really well. I usually dip the plants for longer than 20 min, though. Usually two hours...

Algenco
01-15-2009, 01:09 PM
cheaper at the Chemistry store
http://www.chemistrystore.com/search.cgi?keywords=Potassium+Permanganate&Click+to+Search2.x=11&Click+to+Search2.y=14

be careful, it is a very powerful oxidizer

Lady Hobbs
01-15-2009, 03:19 PM
From what I read, if you use only 1 T. of this stuff to a gallon of water, plants should soak for 2-3 days. If you use 3 T. per gallon, soaking for a few hours is better.

Almost seems if you removed the fish from the tank, you could dose the tank as it is and do a couple big water changes when done. You could use new filter floss in the filter and when done, replace it with your seasoned filter media again.

Lady Hobbs
01-15-2009, 03:23 PM
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=Potassium+Permanganate&_sacat=See-All-Categories

If you don't have use for a big bucket of this stuff, here it is by the pound. Cost more than prime rib per pound!

Alfcea
01-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Wow! I thought it was much cheaper!!... I usually get it for free... and you don't need a lot of it. Just a few milligrams will be enough to disinfect anything that can fit in one liter of water. One pound will last for a couple of decades!!!

korith
01-15-2009, 07:26 PM
I started using it on plants I bought after my first snail infestation. Wish I had learned about it earlier. Just watch your hands and clothing, wear gloves if ya got them, that stuff can color you up nicely.

bushwhacker
01-18-2009, 04:28 PM
will it kill BGA on the plants? as soon as the maracyn i ordered comes in i'm tearing the 55 down and cleaning it up before i start dosing the tank

Alfcea
01-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Potassium permanganate is a very strong oxidizing agent. It is used as disinfectant and will kill bacteria very readily. Blue-green algae (also a bacteria) will not be any different. You can be sure that it will kill it.... but it will also kill your biofilter, if you use it directly in the tank and you'll have to cycle again...

Do not use a lot of the stuff though. It is very potent. Make sure the solution you make for the cleaning is only dark pink (not purple) and you should be fine. It is very safe for the plants...

Wild Turkey
01-18-2009, 04:42 PM
I dont use it since none of my tanks are ideal for it right now that need it...

might consider using it as a preventative on newer tanks though