PDA

View Full Version : Corn Tail Lepard Gecko

freshwaterfishlover
01-15-2009, 03:33 AM
As I have Stated in a very earlier post I am buying a Corn tail Lepard Gecko(Tail Orange and yellow).

1. Question. I have read that Lepard Geckos love to climb. Is that True?
2. I have heard that Lepard Geckos are the hotter temp Lizards liking temps around 90F. Will A Floresent Buld, Heat Lamp and UV lamp be enough or will I need a heating pad?

invadertoast
01-15-2009, 04:12 AM
Leopard geckos do not climb, and if they do they are very clumsy and can easily hurt themselves. As for heating, the need a basking spot of 88-90 degrees, the best thing to do is set up your enclosure, get a digital thermometer, and do a test run. You'll figure out what combination of heating elements works for you. Also, leopard geckos are nocturnal and don't need UV lamps.

Fishguy2727
01-15-2009, 04:24 AM
Do you mean carrot-tail?

Here is a pic of my leopard gecko setup. The far end is the warm end. I don't worry about thermometers and the exact temp at all. They simply need a gradient, warm at one end, cool at the other. If it is not warm enough they will always be in the warm end. If it is too warm they will always be in the cool end. I have a heat pad and a ceramic heat emitter. There is a hide at both ends. In the middle is the shed/lay box. It has perlite in it (found in the gardening section at the hardware store). There is a little hole in the side for them to get in and out. This has high humidity so they can shed properly and lay eggs. Next to that is the food dish which has calcium/vitamin D3 powder and mealworms in it. Next to that is the water dish. This is all the essential basics.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/Reptile/IMG_0817.jpg

freshwaterfishlover
01-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Yes it's a Carrot-Tail Lepard Gecko. I always get mixed up.

OK on not needing UV light. If I have a heating pad will I still need a Heat lamp?

Current Reptiles:

2 African Clawed Frogs
2 Albino Clawed Frogs
2 Tree Frogs 1 Male/1 Female
2 Florida Anoles
1 Cuban Knight Anoles
1 Baby Florida Red Belly Turtle

Fishguy2727
01-16-2009, 12:35 AM
I have a heat pad and a ceramic heat emitter. The heat pad was not enough but does provide the belly heat they need. I would not go with a heat lamp, the ceramic heat emitters last MANY times longer (5 years as opposed to about three months).