PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Koi

Lindsay_D
01-31-2006, 05:44 PM
i'm doing a school project on Koi....i need to know what the ideal water quality parameters for breeding Koi (i.e. pH, ammonia, nitrate, dissolved oxgen, temperature...etc)

William
02-01-2006, 04:29 AM
The exact water conditions are not that important from Koi and they can spawn in a wide variety of waters.

Lindsay_D
02-01-2006, 03:07 PM
The exact water conditions are not that important from Koi and they can spawn in a wide variety of waters.

but what should the temperature range to....i've looked online and it said that the temperature should be at a certain range and my friend says to drop the pH down to 5 and they will breed....is that true?

William
02-02-2006, 04:00 AM
Well a temperatur in the 60F to low 70F is usually good to get them to breed. The temperatre should be a little higher for raising the fry.

The pH does not need to be droped down to 5. In fact I would advice against it as such a low pH can damage the fish. I haven't tried if this trigger them to breed but I can state that it is not necessary. You can breed Koi in pH 7

Lindsay_D
02-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Well a temperatur in the 60F to low 70F is usually good to get them to breed. The temperatre should be a little higher for raising the fry.

The pH does not need to be droped down to 5. In fact I would advice against it as such a low pH can damage the fish. I haven't tried if this trigger them to breed but I can state that it is not necessary. You can breed Koi in pH 7

okay thanks

BdGold
06-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Hay,

Atlast my blackmore layed egges.. After increasing the temparature in previous day next day morning he is cheasing her. I put both in another 55Gal tank. But I found she is laying the egg and eating them all! After eating she is again releasing egge.. releasing->eating->releasing->eating...

How to I stop her from eating egg during spwan..

Thank you in advance.

William
06-25-2006, 11:11 PM
she will eat the eggs she is able to reach. You wil have to but something on the buttom of the tank that prevents her from eating all the eggs. Glass marbles are suitable for this.