PDA

View Full Version : Snails Driving Me Nuts

JimTheBetta
01-14-2009, 11:59 PM
Well back when we first started getting some new plants for this tank, we had a mystery snail tag along with one purchase. It never breed and for the longest time was the only snail we had.

Well about 2 weeks ago we got more plants, and guess what came along with them this time? Yup, more snails. At first i didn't mind, but it was getting out of hand. So we took out every plant and decoration last night and cleaned it in fresh bucket of decholorinated water. We had about 25 snails in the bucket. Then after clearing another 20 or so from the now empty tank, we put everything back and were happy with ourselves.

Since last night I've pulled out another 20 or so baby snails. I even had removed a new egg nest i didn't see last night. This is driving me up a wall. I want a snail or two, not a thousand xD I need some advice on what to do to keep them from coming back.

If anyone has any assassin snails for sale, i would gladly take them off your hands xD

Crispy
01-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Some loaches are snail eaters... I forget which one's though... most of them I think.

Wild Turkey
01-15-2009, 12:19 AM
I also want to get some assassins. I sent sounguru a pm about it right before he stopped coming on, never any response. I meant to send him an email..but forgot about it until this post popped up. Maybe its worth a try? Hes moer of an invert guy i think hes a mod at arizonainverts so its not surprising he doesnt come on ac much anymore.

Algenco
01-15-2009, 12:31 AM
I also want to get some assassins. I sent sounguru a pm about it right before he stopped coming on, never any response. I meant to send him an email..but forgot about it until this post popped up. Maybe its worth a try? Hes moer of an invert guy i think hes a mod at arizonainverts so its not surprising he doesnt come on ac much anymore.

Contact toddnbecka, he imported the assasins

Wild Turkey
01-15-2009, 12:38 AM
Contact toddnbecka, he imported the assasins

Thanks Al! hey hes even in my state! :D

abaigael04
01-15-2009, 12:47 AM
Some loaches are snail eaters... I forget which one's though... most of them I think.

then - I don't mind my MTS. I even got an apple snail on a plant!

Edit: has a group or kuhli's.. I don't think any more loaches could be added. If it is in the 10 gal - def. not. agree with assassin snails.
:ssmile:

JimTheBetta
01-15-2009, 12:50 AM

I tried contacting him too back end of last year. I would love to get my hands on one of those.

then - I don't mind my MTS. I even got an apple snail on a plant!

Edit: has a group or kuhli's.. I don't think any more loaches could be added. If it is in the 10 gal - def. not. agree with assassin snails.
:ssmile:

Yea i got 3 kuhli loaches in there already which is why im really hoping to find someone selling assassins :D

Crispy
01-15-2009, 12:54 AM
I don't think kuhli loaches are one of the 'snail eaters'... more like dojo and yoyos.

JimTheBetta
01-15-2009, 12:56 AM
I don't think kuhli loaches are one of the 'snail eaters'... more like dojo and yoyos.

I've seen mine on occasion nibble on a baby snail, but never anything other then babies and thats rare. I can get a few yoyos easily, but i don't have any room in my tank for new fish, especially new loaches.

lovleeko
01-15-2009, 01:06 AM
I did want MTS so that I wouldn't have to churn my sand beds. Kinda changed my mind though. No particular reason. I do have golden zebra loaches in my biggest tank. I was always scared to put mystery snails in there just in case.

Lady Hobbs
01-15-2009, 06:07 AM
I gave my daughter a 20 gallon tank a month ago and she's having a fit over the snail population she inherited. She has no plants but the tank probably had eggs on the glass and in the gravel.

I get annoyed with snails as well. You can't have a few, you know. They are covering everything within a few weeks.

You can soak new plants in 3 T of alum to a gallon of water for a couple hours to kill off snails in the plants. Next time I strip my tanks, I may do this soaking on all my plants before planting them again.

Northernguy
01-15-2009, 02:12 PM
I gutted one of my 35s a few weeks age.My gravel was moving there were so many pond snails.
I stripped it right down and tossed the gravel.I bleached all my plants and driftwood as well.
Bleaching plants is tricky,use little bleach.All my java moss lost all the needles but its growing back now.
Traps will get some but never all of them.
Disgusting creatures them snails are!

SusieQ
01-15-2009, 06:22 PM
from what i've been reading in the threads you can't just have a couple snails because they have lots of babies all the time. theres a snail trap using blood worms, just search for it in the threads, i don't remember where it is! good luck.:hmm3grin2orange:

annageckos
01-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Usaully it is over feeding that causes snail populations to explode.(but not always). Try cutting back on feeding. I have both MTS and pond snails and never see many.

Anna

Ryuu
01-24-2009, 09:57 PM
I had a snail rampage, and I just cut down on the food. Since they normally eat all the extra food, by cutting down on it, they relized they wouldnt have enough food for them all and such, so now I have seven guys.