PDA

View Full Version : Apple screwed me... Any suggestions?

Glub
01-14-2009, 11:54 PM
So I've got this Macbook that I bought years ago. It's a first generation, white.

At the time it came with OS X Tiger installed...

Anyways, now that I'm no longer using it just to leech internet off unprotected connections, the Mac OS is useless to me.

Not literally useless, but I have no practical reasons for keeping it, so I deleted the partition and installed Windows.

Long story short, I learned why Mac needs bootcamp.

Not having my Tiger discs around anymore, I had to install Linux, and here I am now.

Linux works with the trackpad and keyboard better than Windows, so it's more usable. Unfortunately, it's Linux, and the Macbook isn't exactly the easiest thing to trouble shoot or workaround. The damning part is that I can't get my CD burner to work under Linux.

So I went to the Apple store today to ask about Windows drivers. Stood around waiting for a good 20 minutes before one of their staff was available to answer my question (see, that's why computer stores don't make their employees sit down and teach people how to use their computer). The 'genius' told me that only the Leopard discs has the Windows driver on it, and that I'd need the latest version of Leopard...

So great, I bought your machine, which you advertised as being Windows compatible, yet you sold it with an operating system that didn't allow it to be Windows compatible, and then released the OS which was compatible a few months later, and now you expect me to buy the new OS just so I can install Windows and uninstall Mac immediately afterwards...

So since I don't have an installation disc, and even if I did they're telling me it's the wrong version of their OS, I'm forced to run Linux, or I can buy their OS just so I can install Windows...

So any idea how I can get Windows on this without having to buy OS X Leopard?

I've tried using a virtual-machine to install it through an image file, but I think it had problems with my Mac's hardware and the 'machine' wouldn't boot.

I'm starting to consider selling it...

Wild Turkey
01-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Sorry the only advice i can offer on this subject is dont buy a mac.:hmm3grin2orange:

Hey no incredulous ed to argue otherwise either LOL

Seriously though, 97% of the market share doesnt lie about whats better.

Corndawg
01-15-2009, 12:06 AM
Trying to use a mac with any OS but its own, is almost useless. Even with bootcamp/etc, people have so many problems with driver issues. Thats why I dont use Macs, and dont use Vista. Im sure with the right programs/drivers/luck it will work, but Ive heard its not worth the time.

Glub
01-15-2009, 12:07 AM
Ooooh believe me, I've learned that already, and was somewhat skeptical at first. But everyone kept telling me "Get a MacBook! Get a MacBook! They're the best you can get right now! Windows works FINE!".

Serves me right for listening to customer hype, but hey, I figured if I tried a Mac and didn't like it, nobody could accuse me of being ignorant when I said I considered them useless.

Well I think I can confidently say that circumstances given, for me, my MacBook is most useful as a chordless paper-warmer.

mac
01-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Sorry can't offer any advice. But I can say one thing I have 3 mac. Macbook pros from small to the biggest, with no problems at all.

Always had hell with Microsoft.

mac

abaigael04
01-15-2009, 12:38 AM
I haven't used a windows computer in *years* and haven't had any problems.... so I wouldn't sell it! Do you know anyone who you could get leopard off of? I am 99% sure I didn't pay for leopard... or at least not for both the computers....
sorry you are having problems...

Glub
01-15-2009, 02:16 AM
Not that there's any problem with the laptop itself. Everything works just like it's supposed to. Problem is, it's not made to work the way I need it to work.

I want to be completely free of the Mac OS, but my computer clings to it like a lost child. Every time I want to do something, I'm told I need Mac to make it work. What if I don't want to waste 512mb RAM to run Leopard on a laptop that can only take 2GB? What if I don't want to waste 9GB of memory on a hard drive that's only 40GB? Then more memory to have Windows on another partition.

So yeah, that's my gripe... If you like using the Mac OS and it works for you and what you use it for, right on, you got a solid system, so please buy my MacBook from me :hmm3grin2orange:

Red
01-15-2009, 02:25 AM
How much are you asking for it?

Glub
01-15-2009, 03:34 AM
Are you interested in buying? If so, I'd rather discuss in PM.

I'm not trying to advertising this MacBook here, so let's not turn this into an auction or anything. I'm still open to solving this problem if I could.

labnjab
01-16-2009, 04:28 AM
I've never used mac, and never will. I'm a pc. A clean install won't work?