PDA

View Full Version : Exploding hornwort?

Naturestee
01-14-2009, 06:57 PM
I set up a second tank a few weeks ago, cycled with media from my established tank. It's planted pretty heavily including a couple stems of hornwort from my established tank where it grows like a weed. It's hardly been growing at all in the new tank. Last week one of the stems exploded- needles everywhere! The whole piece was bare to the stem. This morning it happened to half of another stem.

The other plants are doing fine and growing, if slowly. I have wisteria, java moss, and normal and lace-leaf java fern.

What is causing this? It does great in my other tank! I'm dosing Flourish at about 1/2 the recommended dose, one flourescent light strip which was fine for low-light plants the last time I set this tank up. Inhabitants are 5 white cloud mountain minnows. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, nitrate below detection level (ok I'm using the strips so DL is 20).

:help:

Alfcea
01-14-2009, 11:25 PM
It may be that it was just taking time to adapt to the new conditions. I wouldn't worry much about it, unless it still doesn't grow after a couple more weeks. I may be wrong, but I think each of those needles that came out of the "explosions" will eventually turn into a plant of their own... and there comes the weed again!...

Mith
09-12-2009, 08:07 AM
I've got so much hornwort that I'm transplanting a lot of it to my cichlid tank! Seems to be growing nicely there too.

Sarkazmo
09-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Hornwort and most other similar plants will do that if they're in overly active water ie: too much current. They'll do the same if they're not getting enough light. It doesn't take too much current to do that to them either. Less than you'd think.

Sark

Angelicus
11-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Aha! Too much current...must be why the hornwort doesn't like my loach tank. :) Good to know. Thanks Dee