PDA

View Full Version : Worlds most difficult dog!! LOL

kobusclan
01-14-2009, 05:21 PM
This is Balboa...and he is a sweet sweet boy...but he is a neurotic, distructive, and obsessive pain in the butt!!! LOL
Anyone know how to curb his obsession with my electric recline sofa? He wants to kill my couch! He also wants to kill Lily...my kitten! Oh boy!

Northernguy
01-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Its a good looking pup!
Are you home all the time or is the dog left alone?
How much time a day do you work with the dog?

kobusclan
01-14-2009, 07:31 PM
I work from home...(have 4 kids...one is only 2yrs) and my oldest son is 17yrs and he is a track runner...so he runs with Boa, and he gets constant training on "who the pack leader REALLY is" lol...but he still has this neurotic obsession with the couch and the kitten! He is a bull terrier....(known to be stubborn and difficult) but boy did we get the pick of the litter!! :scry:
He is 2yrs old, and he always has had a neurotic behavior towards ANYTHING that moves! You would think that he was a hunting breed! LOL
I do the "leash" training...where I put him on the leash..and go over and open the sofa....and close it...over and over...and make him lay there while telling him "NO!" He does well...and same training for the kitten...he will just lick her and love on her...BUT...once OFF the leash...he becomes neurotic again!! He would kill my kitten if he had a chance! He does this with the vacuum cleaner also!! GRRRRRRR!!!

Northernguy
01-14-2009, 08:43 PM
What is your mood like when you are working with him?
If you show any signs of anxiety or you are stressed at all it will not work.
Some pups take much longer to come around.How old was he you got him?
Does it listen to you now?
On the first command or how long?

abaigael04
01-14-2009, 08:45 PM
nice dog! I want one of those SO badly! but I hear they have TONS of energy... so I am sticking with my laid back Dane! He is a looker, though.

abaigael04
01-14-2009, 08:48 PM
I had to do "NILIF" with my dog - Nothing in life is free - you want to eat? go outside? be petted? anything??? You have to do something FIRST. sit, down, stay, speak, whatever. Quickest way I got him under control . He still has bad separation anxiety, though so he MUST be locked up if we leave.

Deleted User
01-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Ok here is my 2 cents worth.

The breed you have are known for being a handful. Get some favorite snacks or some cheese and cut it into small chunks just for the dog. Only feed that to him when he does what you want. Have him sit while you are handling the kitten and when you say no you got to mean it and push him away. If he does as you ask he gets the treat. If it will help you any watch an American programme called the dog whisperer. Boy does that guy know what he is talking about. You will find him usually on national geographic or Sky3 if you have it. Hope that helps.thumbs2:

Wild Turkey
01-14-2009, 10:05 PM
I dont really support using treats with larger and more aggressive breeds. (that is to say, its fine to give them treats, but i dont use them for training purposes)
Any dog can be trained but you have to take charge. Always correct the dog, but to me it sounds like you are trying to hard. Frustration and emotion play a major role and you shouldnt work with the dog if you are stressed our or angry, and maintain excellent composure when working with the dog.

Honestly, for me the hardheaded approach rarely works. If i make the dog sit infront of what its obsessed with and pay strong attention to what its doing the dog takes it more as a reward, since its getting attention. My preferred method would be sit in the chair, and mess with it as i like, and if i get a reaction from the dog i dont enjoy, i shoot the dog a look. If you have the right attitude, that will be enough. Sometimes hand motions work well, just make sure they are sharp and fast, and afterwards go right back to completely ignoring the dog.

The vacuum will be harder i suspect, usually is. My dog is still afraid of mine to an extent and most dogs are either afraid of them or attack them. Thats probably one of the hardest obsessions to break IMO because the noise and motion distracts the dog from your corrections. The chair and cat should be much easier. Do the same with the cat, basically protect it like its yours, as another dog would do. Dont pay the dog any attention other than to correct it. Even if it takes 1000 corrections in a row correct him the last time just like you did the first, no anger, no emotion. Perhaps the best analogy for attitude would be treat it like you were swatting a fly, dont really think twice about it, 100% confidence that the dog isnt a threat to you, and it wont be.(im not saying swat the dog lol)

Later on, after the dog is basically doing what you want without instruction, then its ok to give it treats. I dont relate treats to training, if for no other reason that when "sit!" and "stay!" really need to work, i might not have a treat in my pocket, and if the dog wants to do what it wants more than it wants a treat at the moment, im screwed. LOL You dont want the dog to perform for treats, you want it to perform because your the boss, then give it treats because you love it :D

I know that wasnt even 2, more like my 4 cents worth lol but i hope it helps.

Northernguy
01-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Thats my dogs favorite tv show.He will sit and watch the whole show.lol
Its the funniest thing.He even gets excited when they show him walking the dogs.
Maybe thats why he is such a great pup!lol

I agree with Celtic! It is a very educational show.You could even call him but you have to tell us if you get on the show.
Here is a link to his site,you may get some good tips!
http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/

Well said Wild T!

kobusclan
01-15-2009, 12:03 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice and input! I am a HUGE "Dog Whisperer" fan and even record his shows to watch again and again! LOL I train Boa as Ceasar would say to do...however, I just cannot explain to you how hard-headed this dog is!! LOL I can tell you that I never end a session with Boa, without a victory...and I am definitely CALM during the process. I am very much a LEADER and not a PUSHOVER!... LOL...I take crap from NO ONE..let alone the dog! haha! I would have to say though...there are many times when I am much to emotional in my response to his neurotic behaviors, (I yell at him) because he is so aggressive towards his "GOAL" of either the cat, couch, or vacuum! He won't listen to you at all once his mind is set on his "GOAL!" He completely shuts you out....and one time I had to pick him up and carry him away just to get peace! He has been through basic command training through Petsmart....but he only listens when a "treat" is in hand! (This is previous owners doing!) I don't offer treats because I want Balboa to learn that what I say goes....and thats JUST the way it is! He is getting better about that...but not when the cat or couch come into the picture! He does better on a leash during this time! He was kenneled up to 12hrs during the day and again at night by previous owners...and I think this was valuable time wasted!! He couldn't be properly trained this way....and now I am trying to make up for lost time! I just got Balboa 5 months ago! The previous owners paid 1500.00 for him...only to keep him locked up way to long. I know I have alot of work to do! :ssmile: He is a sweetheart in every other way! LOL He thinks he is a chihuahua.... he likes to lay on you lap and watch tv! LOL 45lb lapdog! :hmm3grin2orange: Well....I guess I will take in all advice and I will definitely try to be CALM...instead of upset, when he is being neurotic! Thanks everyone!

Sharon
01-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Good luck with it. I think the problem may be that you have to undo the mistakes that the previous owners made, and that's not easy. I'm sure it'll work out though, as you sound like you're diligent ....he is a pretty boy!thumbs2:

Northernguy
01-15-2009, 04:38 AM
Sharon is right. You are now dealing with someone elses mistakes unfortunately.It will take a lot of work.If your dog is 2 than you have 1 more year of pup to deal with.At 3 a pup matures into a dog and thats when everything I ever tried to teach him clicks,but thats after 3 yrs in my home.
You are going to have to work hard this next year with him.Try and give him 3 hrs a day if you can.Not all at once .lol Some help from a good trainer would definately help you right now.
Heck! Try getting hold of Ceasar,you never know.That guy is incredible with dogs.
Good Luck.

kobusclan
01-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Sharon and Northern guy..... I think your right...I do have to undo the disaster the previous owners created! I will get it done though! I am determined to have a well behaved, social and loving dog! thumbs2:

Ellen4God
01-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Adorable!!

sandy_n
01-18-2009, 04:18 AM
Bullies can be EXTREMELY STUBBORN. Sharon and NG are right...you unfortunately are the one who gets to undo the mistakes. Leaving a dog like that for 12 hrs in a kennel with no physical and mental stimulation would most definitely create a neurotic mess. You have your work cut out for you and I wish you tons of luck. I hope you can get things worked out because these guys can be really fun dogs and can have quite a sense of humor too. Please keep us posted.

Amazon
01-18-2009, 04:22 AM
reminds me of that movie i just saw Marly and Me according to the movie your couch and floors will both be eaten, literraly. lol nice dog

kobusclan
01-18-2009, 05:24 AM
ellen...Thanks! He is a looker!! LOL

Sandy... you know it!! STUBBORN to the core! LOL I will update when I make new progress!! Whew!! LOL

Amazon....LOL....too funny! I thought the same thing after seeing the previews to that movie!! LOL I think I need to go see it, so that maybe I can appreciate Boa a bit more!! :hmm3grin2orange:

sandy_n
01-18-2009, 07:21 AM
I knew someone with a bullie and he was forever having surgeries on his tummy because he kept eating things. All kinds of things. Constantly. They used to get sooooo frustrated with him. He was a big clown though. Funny funny dog...:hmm3grin2orange:

kobusclan
01-19-2009, 04:32 AM
Sandy.... Oh boy, isn't that the truth!! LOL Boa eats anything and everything...and he is always in TROUBLE!! I don't normally do large dogs...as I am a chihuahua person...but this is the breed my oldest son just had to have! I searched and searched for one for him...and then found Balboa. He is a character! However, he is sooooo rough! He has charged my 2yr old many times, but hasn't bitten him as of date! If that ever happened....he would have to go! In all other aspects, he is a great dog! He loves everyone, he is very affectionate, he is goofy as all heck..LOL... and he is a great watch dog! I just hope we can curb the bad traits and get him to be a well mannered dog! thumbs2: He is a daily work in progress! LOL

bushwhacker
01-27-2009, 02:46 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice and input! I am a HUGE "Dog Whisperer" fan and even record his shows to watch again and again! LOL I train Boa as Ceasar would say to do...however, I just cannot explain to you how hard-headed this dog is!! LOL I can tell you that I never end a session with Boa, without a victory...and I am definitely CALM during the process. I am very much a LEADER and not a PUSHOVER!... LOL...I take crap from NO ONE..let alone the dog! haha! I would have to say though...there are many times when I am much to emotional in my response to his neurotic behaviors, (I yell at him) because he is so aggressive towards his "GOAL" of either the cat, couch, or vacuum! He won't listen to you at all once his mind is set on his "GOAL!" He completely shuts you out....and one time I had to pick him up and carry him away just to get peace! He has been through basic command training through Petsmart....but he only listens when a "treat" is in hand! (This is previous owners doing!) I don't offer treats because I want Balboa to learn that what I say goes....and thats JUST the way it is! He is getting better about that...but not when the cat or couch come into the picture! He does better on a leash during this time! He was kenneled up to 12hrs during the day and again at night by previous owners...and I think this was valuable time wasted!! He couldn't be properly trained this way....and now I am trying to make up for lost time! I just got Balboa 5 months ago! The previous owners paid 1500.00 for him...only to keep him locked up way to long. I know I have alot of work to do! :ssmile: He is a sweetheart in every other way! LOL He thinks he is a chihuahua.... he likes to lay on you lap and watch tv! LOL 45lb lapdog! :hmm3grin2orange: Well....I guess I will take in all advice and I will definitely try to be CALM...instead of upset, when he is being neurotic! Thanks everyone!
lol my female aussie, she is the sweetest thing in the world and very well trained, tho i have to admit she pretty well trained herself.. but when she weighs 56 lbs its hard to make her understan she aint a lap dog anymore

sandy_n
01-27-2009, 03:45 AM
I know what you mean...try explaining to a dane why she can't sit in your lap anymore. She never did get it, lol...RIP big girl :scry: