PDA

View Full Version : Amquel+ in a reef?

Fishguy2727
01-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Has anyone used Amquel+ on a reef? It says it is reef safe. It is mainly a dechlorinator, but also removes nitrate (which could help me right now).

snapdragon9
01-14-2009, 10:20 PM
yes amquel is safe for reef use. amquel is a dechlorinator, as well as helps control ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. it doesn't remove it outright, but does help with controling those parameters in times of emergency. prolonged/excessive used of amquel may cause a drop in pH...

Fishguy2727
01-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Have you used it in a reef?

snapdragon9
01-16-2009, 12:36 AM
yes, it is for use in fresh and salt aquariums. I have used amquel in a reef many numerous times. actually its the only dechlorinator I use...another good one to try is 'prime'...it does the same job, its just more concentrated

snapdragon9
01-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Like I said before, it will 'soak up' excess amounts of nitrate, but keep in mind that the only way we can really control parameters such as nitrates...water changes are the only way to keep them in check...also calerpa would also help as well.

labnjab
01-16-2009, 04:01 AM
I've never used it, but I would watch your skimmer if you decide. When I first started my tank and didn't know any better, I added some malifix (completely different, I know) and the skimmer went nuts and overflowed. I had to set it back into breakin mode for 3 days

snapdragon9
01-16-2009, 04:52 AM
[QUOTE=labnjab]I've never used it, but I would watch your skimmer if you decide. When I first started my tank and didn't know any better, I added some malifix (completely different, I know) and the skimmer went nuts and overflowed. I had to set it back into breakin mode for 3 days[/QU

I worked at an independantly owned pet store for over two years, and performed tons of maintenance on the saltwater system...when making over 60 gallons of salt in one shot multiple time, I used amquel to dechlorinate the whole batch, and there weren't any adverse affects with the protein skimmer to my knowlege, (and this skimmer was designed to handle over 1000 gallons) but I could be wrong.

Fishguy2727
01-16-2009, 05:05 AM
I know what you mean with the Melafix, it does skim itself very well, even with just an air stone.