PDA

View Full Version : Snakes - Thailand

block2
01-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Hi,

I'm jeff from Uk but been in thailand for a while now. Just thought you might like to see a couple of pics of snakes that i have had close encounters with.

1. This is locally known a singa. Locals reckon a bite off these is quite serious. They are always around here, after the water rats and mice, frogs etc. Unfortuantly, when you see these you have to kill them as we have small children around here playing.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr65/block2_photos/snake3.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr65/block2_photos/snake2.jpg

2. This snake i am not sure what it is, I thought some type of cobra. But i was at the local shop top of the drive having a chat with a couple of swiss friends and i heard my dogs barking, came to the gate and could not see anything, but they just kept barking, unknown to me there was this thing on a window sill behind me, and i only knew when I heard it fall and I see it go behind a load of rubbish.

Called to a Thai family member and he came over, told me to be careful, CAREFUL...I didn't want to be there, anyway it had went into a clay water pipe, he grabbed it tossed it in the air and when it broke... all hell broke loose, the thing reared right up, we both backed off, it made a swoop for my friend, and he managed to whack it with his stick then whacked it again then walked off...lol

Looked this snake up on the internet and came across this website, http://www.mrx.no/Phuket/One_move_and_this...nd_you_die.html one bite off this beauty and your dead in 15 minutes....

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr65/block2_photos/snake.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr65/block2_photos/snake1.jpg

I have since found out that this snake is a copperhead ratsnake which are not poisionious at all.
http://www.ratsnakes.com/Eradiata.html

Regards
Jeff

Jellygirl
01-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Well having made me dead envious about your location in the introduction section, I now am pleased I have the grey weather and fog and mist. Dont think I could cope with those snakes around, but must say lovely pictures and thanks for sharing them with us.

Jellygirl

Northernguy
01-14-2009, 03:46 PM
That was a creepy story but funny!

I hate snakes!
The only place I do not mind them is when they are around my waist(A belt)
or in my pocket(Nice wallets)I do not even mind them around my feet(Boots).

I had a run in with a million water snakes as a kid and have never had any respect for them since!
I know many have them as pets and I am sorry if I hurt anybody posting here.
They had no right to scare me half to death as a kid though!lol

Allecto
01-15-2009, 01:21 AM
It looks a lot like you're butchering Xenelaphis hexagonotus for no special reason at all.

A shame about the gorgeous Elaphe Radiata.

Just for the record, the very best way to get seriously bitten if you do come across one of the dangerously venomous species in Thailand is to try to kill it, (especially if it has already fled into a pile of rubbish and tried to hide in a clay pipe). A cornered animal being subjected to an unprovoked attack doesn't have much other choice but to fight back.

The dangerous snakes of Thailand tend to be pretty easily recognizable. The vipers will have large spade-shaped heads with a noticeable 'neck', the cobras will hood up when threatened at all, the dangerous coral snakes have extremely bright warning colors, and the technically dangerous sea snakes (which are extremely docile and pretty much helpless on land) will have very flat 'paddles' instead of tapered tails.

So, pretty please, when you come across random snakes, don't let your gut reaction be "whack whack... lol" in the future. :11:

Red
01-15-2009, 01:26 AM
It looks a lot like you're butchering Xenelaphis hexagonotus for no special reason at all.

Just for the record, the very best way to get seriously bitten if you do come across one of the dangerously venomous species in Thailand is to try to kill it, (especially if it has already fled into a pile of rubbish and tried to hide in a clay pipe). A cornered animal being subjected to an unprovoked attack doesn't have much other choice but to fight back.

The dangerous snakes of Thailand tend to be pretty easily recognizable. The vipers will have large spade-shaped heads with a noticeable 'neck', the cobras will hood up when threatened at all, the dangerous coral snakes have extremely bright warning colors, and the technically dangerous sea snakes (which are extremely docile and pretty much helpless on land) will have very flat 'paddles' instead of tapered tails.

So, pretty please, when you come across random snakes, don't let your gut reaction be "whack whack... lol" in the future. :11:

Agreed 100% This is the same with sharks in the ocean..

block2
03-05-2009, 04:54 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for the info and advice, I have tryed explaining to my wife that the snakes are non poisionus, but she is still adamant that they are dangererous...especially has we have the children here. I think personally it is inbred in them from been born the same as the thai dogs that all snakes are dangerous. Only the other month a woman in the village was bit by a snake as she slept and died a few hours later.

The link I put in my original post regarding one bite off this and you dead in 15 minutes is taken from a snake farm/show. There are many here in thailand for the tourists as well as the Thais...I suppose with headlines like that and pictures like that it does not help the snake community of Thailand.

I have been doing a bit of research on the snakes of Thailand and have now started to understand them a bit more...What i have learnt recently is if a snake runs it's 90% non poisionus...if it stands and not flees there's a 90% chance it's poisionus.

Here's a couple of pics of a couple of snakes mating in the stream that runs along the side of the house. I could of easily have dropped a couple of large stones on them but decided against it having started my research.

I'm not that clued up with snakes, so i am not certain what type they are.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr65/block2_photos/s3.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr65/block2_photos/s1.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr65/block2_photos/s.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr65/block2_photos/s2.jpg

Regards
Jeff

mommy1
03-05-2009, 03:41 PM
i would just like to go on record as being a woman who is not afraid of snakes, nor do i think they should be killed. :19: the non-poisonous ones i leave alone so they can eat the bugs off my plants or mouse in the field. i even have one that occasionally finds its way into my apartment. we catch him and put him back outside. my neighbors all know him as "tracys snake" and leave him alone. the poisonous ones we try to catch and relocate to a less populated area. we also have a lot of children playing around here. and every oportunity i get i try to educate them on the beauty of nature and how to respect it. and of course to NEVER go near a snake. :22:

cer
03-06-2009, 07:01 PM
That might be a type of water snake.

Demjor19
03-12-2009, 02:43 PM

I also agree. I hate when people kill things out of ignorance and fear. I have been handling snakes (venomous and non-venomous) for years and have had my fare share of "close calls", but that is only because I have chosen to put myself in those positions. Very few snakes will ever hunt a human down just to bite them. Unless the snake is in your house...please leave them alone.

escamosa
03-13-2009, 08:14 AM
Well in Australia we have the top 10 most deadliest snakes in the world and i don't like killing things that don't need to be killed either but when these things come into your backyard and threaten the lives of your family you do what you need to do so that no one gets killed.
The snakes over here are extremely aggressive and most of them if someone just merely walks past them they will bite you.
The stupid thing about the snakes over here is that they are protected and your not supposed to kill them, so if you find one in your backyard your meant to call a bloke and he will come around and catch it, thats providing the snake doesn't take off somewhere and hide until he gets there, and that's where they get dangerous.
They take off and hide, the bloke that catches them can't find them, you can't find them and they're left there for you to stumble upon one day when you least expect it.
Believe me if someones first thought is to get rid of the danger in there own backyard and that means a bang on the head well good luck to em, because they've done the family a favour.
Sorry if i've offended all the people that have posted a "don't kill the snakes" comment but quite obviously they havn't had alot to do with them or live in a place where the snakes don't turn up on there door steps every second day.

Demjor19
03-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Well in Australia we have the top 10 most deadliest snakes in the world and i don't like killing things that don't need to be killed either but when these things come into your backyard and threaten the lives of your family you do what you need to do so that no one gets killed.
The snakes over here are extremely aggressive and most of them if someone just merely walks past them they will bite you.
The stupid thing about the snakes over here is that they are protected and your not supposed to kill them, so if you find one in your backyard your meant to call a bloke and he will come around and catch it, thats providing the snake doesn't take off somewhere and hide until he gets there, and that's where they get dangerous.
They take off and hide, the bloke that catches them can't find them, you can't find them and they're left there for you to stumble upon one day when you least expect it.
Believe me if someones first thought is to get rid of the danger in there own backyard and that means a bang on the head well good luck to em, because they've done the family a favour.
Sorry if i've offended all the people that have posted a "don't kill the snakes" comment but quite obviously they havn't had alot to do with them or live in a place where the snakes don't turn up on there door steps every second day.

Like I said...I work with venomous snakes very often and probably understand them more than 99% of the people on here. They may not be the top 10 deadliest, but people have lost their lives and limbs from their bodies over them.

escamosa
03-13-2009, 08:24 PM
See this is the thing that annoys me a bit, just because some people like to handle them and as you say in the above quote, put yourself in a position to get bitten is totally different to having them in your backyard.
Now i could nearly bet money, that you would do most of your snake handling in a controlled environment right? For example: You know what snake you have, you have the right sort of equipment to handle them, they would most likely be in a small area where you could put them down and they can't take off and hide.
Can you see what i'm trying to say here, your ready for them, if one gets loose you can catch it and put it in a bag.
The everyday, ordinary person can't do this, they havn't got the luxury of a controlled environment, they have jobs to do and can't wait 6 or 8 hours for a bloke to come and catch it, they have kids and animals that like to play out in the yard and don't want them stumbling across a snake that has been left there because someone says that you should leave them alone.
Most of the time snakes aren't killed out of ignorance, fear, yeah because thay can kill you, your dog, your kids and so on.
Now don't get me wrong, i don't have a problem with snakes generally, if they're out in the bush i'll have a look at them and enjoy watching them for a while and leave them be, but if they're in my little part of the world then i have a problem with them.

Demjor19
03-14-2009, 03:47 AM
I have spent several years working with wild Eastern Timber Rattlesnakes, Massaugas, and Copperheads...in their wild environments. This work has been done under the issuance of a permit in cooperation w/ the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission...ie...none of these snakes are handled in a controlled environment (they are protected by PA law and are not to be harmed nor removed from the wild without permission given from the state of PA). This work was done in order to help survey the snake populations, sexes, and estimated age/size.

These snakes are also in my back yard and in the yards of many friends an family members of mine...some choose to leave them alone and others choose to kill them. I cannot say weather this is right or wrong, but I personally will not do such a thing. You are also much more likely to get bitten while trying to kill the snake rather than just going inside and waiting. Even if you do kill that one snake...there is always another waiting somewhere. Whichever route you choose...be careful in doing so. All it takes is one screw up or misplaced step and you could be in a very bad situation.

Allecto
03-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Slimey, I stumble across venomous snakes in my backyard or while walking my dogs or hiking with my nieces and brothers very often. I live within very easy walking distance of a state park that has an abundant population of venomous snakes. I think about the worst thing you could do for your children in an area densely populated by venomous snakes is to let them see you regularly interacting with and attacking these snakes. You may tell them the proper way to deal with snakes they come across, but your actions speak louder than your words and when they are faced with the situation themselves their instincts will likely be to react the way they have seen the adults they emulate react.

In Australia, more people are killed annually by horses or honeybees than by venomous snakes. Do you also kill any bees or horses you see near your children or dogs?

Also, Demjor19 and I are both writing from the US, which actually has more snake bite deaths annually than Australia, so there is no need to be condescending and act as though we couldn't possibly understand your predicament.

Even when Australia's supposedly hyper-aggressive man-hunting snakes bites, they very often inflict dry bites (don't inject any venom). Australia likes to hype their deadly snakes like crazy for some reason, so I can understand the paranoia, but to be honest if you exercise a bit of common sense the danger is negligible.

Allecto
03-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for the info and advice, I have tryed explaining to my wife that the snakes are non poisionus, but she is still adamant that they are dangererous...especially has we have the children here. I think personally it is inbred in them from been born the same as the thai dogs that all snakes are dangerous. Only the other month a woman in the village was bit by a snake as she slept and died a few hours later.

The link I put in my original post regarding one bite off this and you dead in 15 minutes is taken from a snake farm/show. There are many here in thailand for the tourists as well as the Thais...I suppose with headlines like that and pictures like that it does not help the snake community of Thailand.

I have been doing a bit of research on the snakes of Thailand and have now started to understand them a bit more...What i have learnt recently is if a snake runs it's 90% non poisionus...if it stands and not flees there's a 90% chance it's poisionus.

Here's a couple of pics of a couple of snakes mating in the stream that runs along the side of the house. I could of easily have dropped a couple of large stones on them but decided against it having started my research.

Jeff

I am very glad to hear you have been doing research. I certainly can't fault someone for fearing for their children, but the best thing to teach your children is to not interact with and attack them. I know that that is hard to do when so many areas have a very set in stone cultural bias against all snakes. I encourage you to continue with your research, and would love to see more pictures (taken froma safe distance, of course) of the snakes you come across.

Allecto
03-23-2009, 07:52 PM
I'd also like to add for anyone interested in keeping snakes in their vicinity to a minimum without attacking them themselves, inviting in your local raptors is a good way to go. I have helped several families establish owl boxes that have attracted residents. If you look into your local birds of prey and set up an ideal little home for them, there is a good chance you can convince one to establish your yard as part of it's territory. In addition to often eating all sorts of snakes, these birds will also eat the scrumptious little animals that attract many of the snakes in the first place. It is worth looking in to for those of you seeking a little more peace of mind.

escamosa
03-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Slimey, I stumble across venomous snakes in my backyard or while walking my dogs or hiking with my nieces and brothers very often. I live within very easy walking distance of a state park that has an abundant population of venomous snakes. I think about the worst thing you could do for your children in an area densely populated by venomous snakes is to let them see you regularly interacting with and attacking these snakes. You may tell them the proper way to deal with snakes they come across, but your actions speak louder than your words and when they are faced with the situation themselves their instincts will likely be to react the way they have seen the adults they emulate react.

In Australia, more people are killed annually by horses or honeybees than by venomous snakes. Do you also kill any bees or horses you see near your children or dogs?

Also, Demjor19 and I are both writing from the US, which actually has more snake bite deaths annually than Australia, so there is no need to be condescending and act as though we couldn't possibly understand your predicament.

Even when Australia's supposedly hyper-aggressive man-hunting snakes bites, they very often inflict dry bites (don't inject any venom). Australia likes to hype their deadly snakes like crazy for some reason, so I can understand the paranoia, but to be honest if you exercise a bit of common sense the danger is negligible.

The high lighted part of your quote is absolutely ridiculous, no one, with any credibilty, has ever said that the snakes in Australia are man hunting, LOL, i'd really like to know where you got that from. But yes some of the snakes here are extremely aggressive.
Of course America is going to have more deaths from snake bites because there are more of you overthere than here. It's basic maths, 100 people = 100 possible snake bites, 200 people = 200 possible snake bites.
Not once was i saying that you couldn't possibly understand our snake situation, all i was telling you was how things are over here and giving you my opinion on a topic.
I wasn't being condescending at all, everything i have mentioned is a fact and i was not saying that just because we have the more dangerous snakes that i'm in a worse situation.
Demjor and i were actually having a conversation about this topic and expressing our opinions in a civil manner, you on the other hand, sort of gave an opinion and quite rudely attacked mine.
I think that you should except another persons opinion on a topic rather than just thinking that your own is the only one that counts.

Allecto
03-25-2009, 05:43 PM
"The snakes over here are extremely aggressive and most of them if someone just merely walks past them they will bite you."

Extremely aaggressively attacking something that 'just merely walks past' =hunting. In this case, men. Man-hunting. And Australia definitely hypes the dangers of it's snakes. I would also like to know what you base your assertions of the aggression of Australia's venomous snakes on (this is a genuine question) because all the herping articles or field herpers I have spoken with at reptile shows remark on how generally tractable and avoidant of humans they are, if given the option. If I made you feel attacked by disagreeing with the actions you advocated, I apologize. My only intent was to disagree.

I addressed you directly because I felt (and still feel) that you are expressing your disdain for the anti-slaughter sentiment in a very condescending manner. If calling the opinions and experiences of others annoying, or saying the protection of snakes is stupid, or stating "Sorry if i've offended all the people that have posted a "don't kill the snakes" comment but quite obviously they havn't had alot to do with them or live in a place where the snakes don't turn up on there door steps every second day." was not meant in a condescending manner at all, then I apologize for the misinterpretation. Clearly, we both should be more aware of how we come across when discussing things that make us peevish.

I also think the reputation of Australia's snakes as the deadliest is flawed. Sri Lanka has a lower population, and a much higher serious bite/fatality rate. Australian snakes' venom may be the most proficient at killing mice in lab studies, but that is just one of many, many factors to take into consideration in calculating the dangers to humans.

I certainly haven't meant to attack anyone, but when your first post is advocating the killing of snakes, I don't feel good about not pointing out how following that advice could be the very thing that puts someone in danger--- maybe I've just taught too many rattle-snake avoidance classes though, lol. I am not asking you not to share your opinion, I would in fact love to have some more info from you (as requested above) I just think that following the advice you happen to be giving in this thread could be put someone in harm's way--- someone other than just the snakes, that is.:grin34:

escamosa
03-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Extremely aaggressively attacking something that 'just merely walks past' =hunting. In this case, men. Man-hunting. And Australia definitely hypes the dangers of it's snakes. I would also like to know what you base your assertions of the aggression of Australia's venomous snakes on (this is a genuine question) because all the herping articles or field herpers I have spoken with at reptile shows remark on how generally tractable and avoidant of humans they are, if given the option. If I made you feel attacked by disagreeing with the actions you advocated, I apologize. My only intent was to disagree.

I also think the reputation of Australia's snakes as the deadliest is flawed. Sri Lanka has a lower population, and a much higher serious bite/fatality rate. Australian snakes' venom may be the most proficient at killing mice in lab studies, but that is just one of many, many factors to take into consideration in calculating the dangers to humans.
This is what hunting is.
1. The activity or sport of pursuing game.
2. The act of conducting a search for something:
Snakes don't look for people to bite or eat.

The act of a snake striking or biting a human is an aggressive act of self defence.

Some people get confused about what a deadly snake and a dangerous snake is. There's two lists, one is a list from one to ten deadliest snakes which rates the potency of the snakes venom. The other list is the dangerous snake list which rates the snake on aggression and where they are situated.
I'll give you an example: The Fierce snake (Inland Taipan) is rated the most deadliest snake in the world because of it's venoms toxicity, but it's rated at ten on the dangerous snake list because it very rarely comes in contact with humans.
The viper snakes, are more dangerous because they like moveing around built up, more populated areas.
I think the snake in Sri Lanka that you said does more damage than the ones here is a carpet viper or saw scaled viper because they look for food in these areas.
The snake most commonly quoted by you and most other Americans is the Rattle snake and it doesn't make either of the lists.
Australia has less fatalities from snake bites because i believe that the availability of anti-venoms is second to none.
In Australia we have at least three or so different snakes that all like to move around populated areas, the Death Adder, Tiger snake, Eastern brown snake, Taipan.
All of these snakes are aggressive if they are put in a position where they feel threatened.
When the snakes enter backyards and curl up in a garden or lay around near a childs sand pit and a human approaches these snakes unknowingly, there is no warning, no rattle, they just strike.
By the time you realize that the snake is there you havn't been able to give the snake or yourself an escape option.
The Tiger snake is very common around my area and believe me or not these snakes are the most crankiest snake i've seen.LOL
They won't turn the other way when someone comes across them in a yard.
A little girl in a suburb of my city was bitten in the front yard of her home when she went to get an icecream from the icecream van and the snake just stayed where it was.
An elderly lady was bitten twice on the hand when she was weeding her garden because the tiger snake held it's ground instead of retreating.
Some snakes will go the other way when a human comes around but not these ones.

I don't run around killing snakes and i don't tell anyone to do so, but as i said earlier, if i see a snake in the bush i enjoy them but if they're in my part of the world and pose a threat then i deal with it.

I except your apology and i also apoligise if i sounded nasty at all, it's so hard to talk on a forum when you can't show expressions, do you know what i mean?

Demjor19
03-26-2009, 04:40 PM
FYI...the Black Mamba is the deadliest snake in the world. the Taipan is ranked #4 on most lists I have seen. In fact Australia only has one snake on the "top five deadliest" list and that is the Taipan. Just food for thought...

escamosa
03-26-2009, 08:20 PM
As i said, get the two lists straight, dangerous and deadliest, the black mamba could be the most DANGEROUS snake because of its aggressive nature but i will guarantee you that the Fierce snake is the most Deadliest snake in the world. A single bite can kill up to 100 people.
Below is a snippet of info directly from the Australian Reptile Park.

Did You Know? Although the fierce snake is the most toxic snake in the world with venom more potent than any other species by a large margin. There have never been any human fatalities caused by this species. Several bites have been recorded and successfully treated by taipan antivenom which is produced and manufactured by the Australian Reptile Park and the Commonwealth Serum Laboratories in Melbourne.

Please understand that i'm not trying to compete with you guy's on snake info but there is two lists that most people dont understand as i've said earlier.
My apologies Allecto the Rattle snake is in the most DANGEROUS list.

Demjor19
03-26-2009, 10:14 PM
As i said, get the two lists straight, dangerous and deadliest, the black mamba could be the most DANGEROUS snake because of its aggressive nature but i will guarantee you that the Fierce snake is the most Deadliest snake in the world. A single bite can kill up to 100 people.
Below is a snippet of info directly from the Australian Reptile Park.

Did You Know? Although the fierce snake is the most toxic snake in the world with venom more potent than any other species by a large margin. There have never been any human fatalities caused by this species. Several bites have been recorded and successfully treated by taipan antivenom which is produced and manufactured by the Australian Reptile Park and the Commonwealth Serum Laboratories in Melbourne.

Please understand that i'm not trying to compete with you guy's on snake info but there is two lists that most people dont understand as i've said
earlier.
My apologies Allecto the Rattle snake is in the most DANGEROUS list.

These lists really boil down to personal opinion/experience. Just like fish...ask people what the most aggressive fish species is...youll get tons of different answers. I said "most deadly snake"...not dangerous or venomous, please read more carefully. The Black mamba is the most deadly snake in the world...that is a pretty widely accepted fact.

What rattler was on the list? Diamond backs tend to be one of the more aggressive rattlesnakes.

Red
03-26-2009, 10:17 PM
I bet a piranha could eat a snake:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Very awesome discussion and give props to all three of you for arguing and keeping the personal attacks down, and backing up your answers..

Demjor19
03-26-2009, 11:05 PM
I bet a piranha could eat a snake:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Very awesome discussion and give props to all three of you for arguing and keeping the personal attacks down, and backing up your answers..

My piranha could for sure!!! :18:

Nothing is ever gained with personal attacks. were merely sharing different opinions.

escamosa
03-27-2009, 06:50 AM
These lists really boil down to personal opinion/experience. Just like fish...ask people what the most aggressive fish species is...youll get tons of different answers. I said "most deadly snake"...not dangerous or venomous, please read more carefully. The Black mamba is the most deadly snake in the world...that is a pretty widely accepted fact.

What rattler was on the list? Diamond backs tend to be one of the more aggressive rattlesnakes.

The rattle snake in the dangerous list was a Mexican West Coast Rattlesnake.
Very nasty.lol

Righto, i did read your last post and yes you did say the mamba was the worlds deadliest snake and i disagreed because quite simply you were wrong.lol,and i said that it could be the most dangerous smake. I'm not saying this in a nasty way.lol.
The Black Mamba isn't even the most dangerous snake in the world as i've just found out.

Hopefully the info below will help you understand what i mean about DEADLIEST AND DANGEROUS. This info comes from an American reptile park because you guy's reckon that we hype up the snake thing in Australia.
Take note of the part about the toxicity of the Fierce snakes venom and the danger quotients.

Fierce Snake or Inland Taipan (Oxyuranus microlepidotus) The most toxic venom of any snake, maximum yield recorded (for one bite) is 110mg. Which is enough to kill over 100 people or 250,000 mice. This snake, however, is rarely encountered, and there have been no recorded deaths from an inland bite. DANGER QUOTIENT 18
**These rare snakes are virtually unknown in collections outside of Australia, however, At Reptile Gardens, we have the only Inland Taipans outside of Australia other than one at the Moscow zoo and one in another European zoo.

Coastal Taipan (Oxyuranus scutellatus) The venom delivered in a single Taipan bite is enough to kill up to 12,000 guinea pigs. This is the largest venomous snake in Australia and is one of the only species known to give multiple bites AND deliver increased amounts of venom in subsequent bites. Before anti venom was available 100% of bites were fatal. They are alert snakes that are good at avoiding human contact. DANGER QUOTIENT 24

King Brown Snake (Pseudechis austalis) This is one of the most widespread venomous snakes in Australia. One report states that the largest amount of venom ever extracted from a snake, 1300mg, came from a King Brown Snake. They can be large and aggressive but bites are relatively uncommon, although quite life-threatening when they occur due to the quantity of venom delivered and its effects. DANGER QUOTIENT 22

Papuan Taipan (Oxyuranus s. canni) This New Guinea species accounts for most of the snakebite deaths in the Papuan Gulf region. Venomous snakebite deaths are 100 times higher in New Guinea than in Australia due to quality and availability of treatment. They are similar to Australian coastal Taipan discussed above. DANGER QUOTIENT 24

Black Mamba (Dendroaspis polylepsis) These snakes are large, alert, and aggressive in their personal defense. With a very toxic venom supplied in large amounts, this is one of the most feared snakes on the African continent. DANGER QUOTIENT 20

We have devised what we call our DANGER QUOTIENT for each snake species. Our list will consist of the most dangerous snakes on each continent. The quotient is based on 5 critical factors, each with a maximum of 5 points.

Average adult size
Average venom yield
Toxicity of venom
Length of fangs
Typical disposition when cornered or threatened

Demjor19
03-27-2009, 01:07 PM
I guess what i was getting at is that the black mamba is deadly in the sense that it is very toxic and very aggressive. several of the other snakes are more venomous, but not as aggressive. The Mamba is a snake that WILL bite you given the chance and you will very possibly die from it...even with proper treatment. It doesnt matter to me how toxic a snakes venom is...unless it's aggressive and readily willing to use it.

I was only wrong in your eyes. I never said most toxic snake. I simply said "the deadliest" and that my friend is a difference in our opinions. this all goes back to the aggressive fish comment I made.

block2
03-30-2009, 04:58 AM
Cor, when I 1st posted the topic I did not mean to start a war...LOL....but thanks everyone for your inputs, it has been very beneficial for me and an excellent read.

R&R
Jeff

Demjor19
03-30-2009, 12:41 PM
No war! Just a good healthy exchange of opinions/facts! :ssmile: This is what forums are for.

block2
01-28-2010, 06:04 AM
Hi All,

As promised here's a few more pics of snakes that I have encountered. Again I'm not that clued up with snakes so not sure what they are. This one I managed to capture as it made it's way across our neighbours garden, heading for the lake...I was stood behind a wall so there was no danger. I reckon it was at least 6ft in length, but there was no way I was going to place a lighter next to it to compare size..LOL.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr65/block2_photos/snake7.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr65/block2_photos/snake2-1.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr65/block2_photos/snake3-1.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr65/block2_photos/snake-1.jpg

block2
01-28-2010, 06:04 AM
This one had been run over by a motorbike that was travelling in front of me...the driver could of went round it, but the Thais tend to run over them, as they can rear up and jump and bite as you are passing them, I have had to put my legs up in the air when on my motorbike a few times as I have approached snakes on the road, so that if they do decide to attack they will only bite my bike and not me.

This one was not 100% dead as it kept wriggling, not sure if it was it's nerves, but I wasn't going to get too close just in case...I have read on the internet, even if you chop a snakes head off it can still bite you, if freshly killed. Again not sure what type of snake ot is.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr65/block2_photos/snake5.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr65/block2_photos/snake4.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr65/block2_photos/snake6.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr65/block2_photos/snake1-1.jpg

Regards
Jeff & Wan