PDA

View Full Version : keyhole cichlids or rams?

Glasstapper
02-01-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm going to want to put my Sal a tankmate once that salvini is gone. I think he would like a companion, but I can't afford another blue dempsey. I want a peaceful cichlid that will definitely stay smaller than him so that I can try to bring out his dominance.

I have tons of room in the tank for now because Sal will be a very slow grower and may only get up to about 5-7 inches in the next couple of years. Keyholes or a ram would be able to add the personality I love so much of cichlids, and still not take up on the bioload or threaten Sal.

Which do you think? And how many? I really like the dwarf cichlids so very much. The apistogrammas might also be something to think about. As for water quality, I'm already on top of that because Sal is sensitive to water quality, so that part is taken care of. I keep my pH at a steady 7.2 and temp stays at 79F. See sig below to see current inhabitants of the 45 gallon long (minus the salvini).

Suggestions?

Glasstapper
02-01-2007, 07:49 PM
oh darn. I probably should have put this in the dwarf cichlid section. Sorry guys. A mod may move this thread if necessary.

jeffs99dime
02-01-2007, 09:55 PM
what about kribensis? my choice would be adult keyholes. i wouldn't put juvies in there with the salvini

Severus
02-02-2007, 04:07 AM
The salvinis gone. I would go with Keyholes....

or maybe a ram. hmmmm

cocoa_pleco
02-04-2007, 04:12 AM
keyholes:4:

Glasstapper
02-04-2007, 06:22 AM
thanks. I have to my hobby on hold for a while, but I'll keep this in mind when I get back into it. I just love those dwarf cichlids!

Nautilus291
02-04-2007, 06:29 AM
Would a firemouth go with a ebjd. Just wondering becuase I Bought one today. I couldnt resist He was 30.00. My mom was complaining about how I didnt have any color and I was in the fish store looking for some guppies for my 10g when I saw him.

Right now he is housed with a severum, they seem to get along very well.

Glasstapper
02-04-2007, 06:47 AM
well, you just have to see how they react to each other. the electric blues are way more docile than the regular dempseys. Of course, I only know from my own juvie and what others say about their adults. I don't see why it wouldn't be fine with a firemouth or a severum. They're both considerd "peaceful" to a degree. Just give plenty of hiding places and keep an eye out for nipped fins or damage to the bodies.

Awesome fish, isn't it? From what I've experienced and read, they're pretty people oriented and not very shy at all (unless it's being picked on).

Also: they're pretty sensitive to water quality and quality foods will ensure they keep eating well. Let me know if you have any other questions about them and also check out that EBJD site.