PDA

View Full Version : Just won a 14 Gal BioCube!!

soldier-sailer
01-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Hello Everyone, I just picked up a 14 Gal BioCube that I won at a raffle from my LFS. I would like to set up a Nano and would like any and all advice that you can give, ie. stocking etc. I have many tanks but this will be my first with Salt. I already have a hook up offering up to 20 pounds live rock and gravel as well as RO water. Thanks for all your suggestions in advance!!

travie
01-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Start researching now is the best advice that can be given to you. The New Marine Aquarium; Step-by-Step Setup and Stocking Guide, by Michael S. Paletta or The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists, by Bob Fenner are about the best two books to buy on how to setup and maintain saltwater tanks. They will teach you a lot.

deep_blu
01-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Well done on your amazing win!! i'd love to sep up a nano - right next to my bed. prob is i dont think i'd sleep again! LOL!!

coachfraley
01-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Congrats on the win!

Most cubes run pretty well right of the shelf as Fish Only With Live Rock tanks (FOWLR). Depending on the lighting in your cube, you might have to upgrade if you want to keep anything but low light corals. Also, the filtration media in the back of the tank is usually set up for FW. You will probably want to alter it for SW purposes. Many people with cubes eventually modify the back of their tanks to turn them into mini refugiums, but that is something you can do down the line.

20 lbs. of LR sounds good, I would go with about 15 lbs. of live sand instead of gravel.

For stocking, you are looking at 2-3 nano fish. I had a pair of small O. clowns and a clown goby in my 12g cube, but I was pushing it as far as the bioload of a tank that size. I eventually upgraded to suit my clowns.

Lady Hobbs
01-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Wow. Awesome win! Congratulations!

Sharon
01-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Congratulations!!!:19: Have fun!!!

fishlover49
01-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Congrats on your win! Those tanks are pretty neat! thumbs2:

Rue
01-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Congrats! Post pictures as you set it up!

Tigerbarb
01-14-2009, 03:13 AM
Congrats! I hope your setup goes well. Lol, if only I could get my hands on a free biocube.

Lady Hobbs
01-14-2009, 06:37 AM
I want to see it too. All I ever won in my lifetime was an ugly bathrobe and a side of beef that was like chewing an old boot.

Tigerbarb
01-15-2009, 03:52 PM
I want to see it too. All I ever won in my lifetime was an ugly bathrobe and a side of beef that was like chewing an old boot.Lol, all I ever won in my lifetime was a jar of candy and a model car when I was 10.:hmm3grin2orange: