PDA

View Full Version : Fishless cycling?! Retrofitting lamps?! I can't find anything I need for it!

kacourt
01-13-2009, 01:53 AM
Hi All,

So I have read stickies and looked at a bunch of threads to determine what I need for fishless cycling and a plant friendly lamp for my new tank.

Problem One: I can't find ammonia anywhere that does not have surfactants in it. I went to 2 grocery stores, a hardware store, 2 Walmarts, Home Depot and Lowe's. I tried the lfs's too. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Problem Two: My hood came with the tank and has 18 inch, 15 watt, bi-pin fluorescent bulbs. I would like to have these become 36 watt bulbs, so I need to retrofit the lamp to hold compact fluorescents. The stores I went to looked at me as if I had sprouted a third eye, I and only found one site that I understood. Does anyone have experience with this site?
http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm
Or have alternate suggestions?

Thanks, and cheeryo!
Kathi

Shea
01-13-2009, 02:19 AM
Have you tried the dollar store for the ammonia? The cheaper it is the less additives it has in it.

Its not hard to find at all.

When you you get it make sure there is no dye, perfumes, soap etc...

Once you find it, shake it, and if there is no bubbles/foam its good. Make sure you read the ingredients.

Bump for some more help!

kacourt
01-13-2009, 02:22 AM
Ah! Dollar store! I didn't think of those. Thanks, I will go there tomorrow.

Shea
01-13-2009, 02:26 AM
No problem.

I wish I could help you out with your 2nd problem but I dont know much about bulbs and whats needed for plants as I'm still researching myself and as I plan on doing a planted tank soon myself.

kacourt
01-14-2009, 04:15 AM
Woohoo! I found ammonia! 10th store is a charm. Still researching retrofitting lamps costs versus buying new lamps. Then I will be a planting fool.

I may be imagining things, but I swear my fish are staring at the new tank in envy of the neighbors....shhhh....don't tell them that they will be moving in there.:19:

Smile awhile!