PDA

View Full Version : african cichlids

Amazon
01-12-2009, 11:44 PM
i finally stocked my 100g and decided to go with an african cichlid community tank. I got 2 electric blue haps 1 comprecciceps not sure of what kind and a couple more cichlids,i also got 2 clown loaches, and 1 synodontis catfish. I just put them in two nights ago and they have great colors, seem very healthy, and theres no fighting, but they dont swim around much especially the comprecciceps except when feeding. i was thinking it might be because i have not bought a heater yet. Any ideas, Thanks

kaybee
01-13-2009, 12:12 AM
They're still new. When they get familiar with their new surroundings they'll begin to reveal their nature.

fyi, from what I understand, clown loaches prefer to be maintain in larger groups (not sure if their 'comfort level' will become natural with just the pair in there).

Amazon
01-13-2009, 12:18 AM
ok thanks alot i was starting to get worried there

toddnbecka
01-13-2009, 07:03 PM
At least 3 more clown loaches, and twice as many cichlids in a 100 gallon tank. You really need to "overstock" (by typical community standards) with African cichlids to spread the aggression around sufficiently to keep any particular fish from suffering too much abuse.

Amazon
01-17-2009, 05:20 PM
its now been 7 days and the fish still dont swim around much:scry: , everythings perfect
ph-between 7.4-7.5
temp 79

the only thing i can think of now is either not enough cichlids or its beause i havent put rocks in the tank yet, only plants and driftwoodmention myavatar

bushwhacker
02-07-2009, 09:45 PM
its now been 7 days and the fish still dont swim around much:scry: , everythings perfect
ph-between 7.4-7.5
temp 79

the only thing i can think of now is either not enough cichlids or its beause i havent put rocks in the tank yet, only plants and driftwoodmention myavatar

first thing i see is your talking africans but the ph is too low, most african tanks run 8-9, the driftwood is only going to lower your ph.. the plants are going to get torn to he**.. and they really like rocks and caves to hide in