PDA

View Full Version : CO2 and algae.....again

Lady Hobbs
01-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Why is it when I run my CO2 I get hair algae and black bush algae but get rid of the CO2 and I don't get it? This goes opposite of what I have read.

55 gallon, CO2 and 186 watts. Sand substrate.
I get good plant growth with CO2 but along with it comes the algaes. I also get the spot algaes on the glass that needs a razor blade to remove. Otto's for cleaning crew and loaches and corys for cleaning up bottom.

29 gallon, no CO2, same plants and only 43 watts of light and I have NO algae at all. Sand substrate. No aglae eaters.

So.....I am thinking of going back to 130 watt on the 55 gallon and dropping the CO2. Would that help? I only increased my lights because I had ludwigia and wanted the red to come out more but it has so much hair algae the stems just hang down. I stopped using CO2 last month and the aglae was about gone but added it back and now the aglae is going nuts again.

Lady Hobbs
01-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Here's a really good link about algaes if you haven't seen this one.

http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

doug z
01-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Why is it when I run my CO2 I get hair algae and black bush algae but get rid of the CO2 and I don't get it? This goes opposite of what I have read.

I had the same problem..

I think it's because the CO2 spurs growth.. Plants WOULD grow, but they don't have the ferts to sustain them..

So algae grows instead..

As soon as I added dry ferts, my bba and hair algae disappeared..

Your idea to lower the wattage is a good one, but I would keep up with the CO2, and just reduce the bubble rate, see what happens..

Lady Hobbs
01-12-2009, 07:16 PM
It becomes quite a puzzle, doesn't it? I have reduced the lights so we'll see. I added some of the ludwigia with hair aglae on it to the 29 gallon and notice my platie is really going after that hair aglae. Glad something likes it.

BigMac
01-12-2009, 07:46 PM
I have the same issue Lady Hobbs. Its got me scratching my head a little.
I added CO2 and some liquid ferts and now have a healthey culture of beard algea.

Doug.. you said you use dry ferts. Do you have a link or info on dry ferts?

I'm currently using Kent Pro Plant. I could not find all the SeaChem components and the Kent looked easy to dose.

I'm only dosing enough CO2 to drive my PH down .6. My water is VERY hard though. I get about a bubble per second at 5 lbs delivery presure.

doug z
01-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Doug.. you said you use dry ferts. Do you have a link or info on dry ferts?

Here's what I dose my tank, according to the EI (Estimative Index) method:

60 – 80 Gallon Aquariums

¾ tsp KN03
¼ tsp KH2P04 Mon, Wed, Fri
¼ tsp K2SO4

¼ tsp (20ml) Trace Elements Tues, Thurs, Saturday

Sunday 50% weekly water change

And here's some info on dry ferts, and advanced aquatic plant forums:

http://www.rexgrigg.com/dosing.htm

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/fertilizing/

http://www.barrreport.com/plantdatabase/index.php

Algenco
01-12-2009, 08:28 PM
if you need CO2, you also need fertz

Wild Turkey
01-12-2009, 08:42 PM
i agree with the above posters, if you can add ferts so your plants will use more of the c02, or inject a little less, either/or both should solve the problem

Lady Hobbs
01-13-2009, 01:50 AM
I finally started adding ferts last week. Plants were doing pretty well without it but I knew they needed it.

doug z
01-13-2009, 02:03 AM
Let us know if they perk up..

tim k
02-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Would it help if you introduced some faster growing plants in the tank to compete with the algae ?

Tim K

Lady Hobbs
02-08-2009, 02:39 AM
Tim, I just don't know. I thought I was done with the black algae a week ago and this week it has taken off again. I do have more plants coming this week so we'll see but I sure am getting annoyed with this.

Thanks for posting.

Demi ^_^
02-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Ohh, Hobbs you and your plants LOL

I vote you tear apart your tank, ditch the Co2, go for a much lower light and not add any ferts/chamicals - nothing! LOL

You advised me to have FUN with my planted tank :))))

Lady Hobbs
02-08-2009, 12:05 PM
LOLOL I did, didn't I! I am trying to have fun. Stupid plants just won't let me. Everything looks good for awhile, grows very well then here comes trouble, again. Apparently my talents only lay in houseplants!

C-Dub
02-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Hey hobbs I am having almost identical problems with the algae in my 55 gal planted. I am almost to the point of tearing it completely down and starting over again(with no plants!!!). I can't believe how some people can get such beautiful well planted tanks with no algae. I have tried it all, I can't for the life of me figure out the perfect c02, n03, p04, or lighting levels, it's sooooooo frustrating to look at a tank i've put countless hours and money into and can't get it the way I want it. AHHHHH!!!!:help:

PUNISHER VETTE
02-08-2009, 11:20 PM
I'm hoping the my new CO2 takes care of my BBA.

I guess since i got a lot of it while i didn't have co2 i hope my tank follows the norms and it goes away now.

Lady Hobbs
02-09-2009, 01:15 AM
Hey hobbs I am having almost identical problems with the algae in my 55 gal planted. I am almost to the point of tearing it completely down and starting over again(with no plants!!!). I can't believe how some people can get such beautiful well planted tanks with no algae. I have tried it all, I can't for the life of me figure out the perfect c02, n03, p04, or lighting levels, it's sooooooo frustrating to look at a tank i've put countless hours and money into and can't get it the way I want it. AHHHHH!!!!:help:

I think we should dance because we are playing the same music. :hmm3grin2orange:
It's a pit we fall into, you know. We invest in the lights and then it seems like a waste not to use them so plant the bloody tank again. :) We should probably both invest in Excel. Hate to loose all my vals (again.)

C-Dub
02-11-2009, 10:27 PM
LOL, ya like you said in your other thread i've also been trying to avoid the excel. I guess half doses are the way to go with it so i've been seeing???