PDA

View Full Version : growth of an unkown snail in my aquarium

sam9953012690
01-12-2009, 10:23 AM
today i just saw my aquarium and there i have 25 baby mollies and with them i saw a very small snail who is unkown and i dont know from where he came .please tell me an automatic growing of snails is it normal ,has it ever happened to you till now ,tell me what to do?

Northernguy
01-12-2009, 02:15 PM
It sounds like you bought some live plants and some hitch hikers found your tank.They are most likely pond snails.
Start picking them out or crush them on the side of the glass.
The longer they are in there the more you will have.
Thousands does not take long.Becareful not to overfeed your fish.

elmer
01-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Snails certainly do multiply fast, especially when there is food for them, and they are surprisingly fast at finding fish food dropped on the bottom (I think I've even seen them fighting over it). Snails that came on my plants and multiplied provide a steady source of meat for my cichlids, and my tank is littered with plenty of snail shells.

Northernguy
01-12-2009, 03:29 PM
What kind of fish do you have Sam?

sam9953012690
01-12-2009, 03:36 PM
friend i have mollies which are babies and have been born around 3 months ago .

sam9953012690
01-12-2009, 03:47 PM
i have got some live plants and because of them i have a snail and i believe that it is about to give many eggs so i was thinking if my baby mollies which are 2 months old can they eat those snails not?i have removed the snail should i put it back so to make a meal for them .but i noticed that they are not eating the snail so what shall i do to feed them that snail?should i make them grow or not?

Northernguy
01-12-2009, 04:04 PM
I would just get rid of any snails you see.Your mollies are not snail eaters.
Clown loaches and puffers enjoy them!

Northernguy
01-12-2009, 08:20 PM
If its just mollies in your tank you can add aquarium salt to kill the snails off.
Just let find out how much first.lol I believe its a half dose.
Someone else may drop by and let you know.

henryscat
01-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Hah you beat me to it. I was about to post up about the fact that i just found a tiny snail crawling on the glass of my tank.
And YES I bought new plants last week and he has obviously hitch-hiked in from one of them.

I only found him as I wondered what my Gourami found so interesting on the end of the tank.

Went to pick him out and i lost him in the gravel.... grrrrrr!

I've heard that if you find one, there is likely another 7 somewhere. I'm sure I will soon find out.

Do Gourami's eat snails? Is that why mine was so intrigued by it?

NickFish
01-12-2009, 09:09 PM
I highly doubt it.

Not much will truely eat snails enough to deplete the population.

I find what works best is simply to kill any you see. Everytime you walk buy the tank give it a through inspection and kill every single one you see. Simple and it works, at least for me.

terrapin24h
01-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Hah you beat me to it. I was about to post up about the fact that i just found a tiny snail crawling on the glass of my tank.
And YES I bought new plants last week and he has obviously hitch-hiked in from one of them.

I only found him as I wondered what my Gourami found so interesting on the end of the tank.

Went to pick him out and i lost him in the gravel.... grrrrrr!

I've heard that if you find one, there is likely another 7 somewhere. I'm sure I will soon find out.

Do Gourami's eat snails? Is that why mine was so intrigued by it?
lol, more like another *70* that i know of gouramis don't eat snails. He was probably just curious

--chris

TazManiac
01-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Mollies will not eat snails. As stated above, remove them all.

Northernguy
01-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Sam I am sorry I did not think of this sooner,rough day!
Here is a link for an easy to make snail trap.Just follow the directions and make sure it is pushed into the gravel.http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=30410
Please do not use the salt! This much better and no water changes afterwards.