PDA

View Full Version : Fishless Cycle in progress.

Shea
01-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Picked up some pure ammonia (no perfum, dye, soap, etc) today along with plastic eye/ear drop syringe's. Came hope and kept adding drops in the tank to get it to 5ppm. Well now I'm there.

Going to check it in the morning and add some more if necessary.

Note: Testing with API Freshwater Master Testing kit.

Lady Hobbs
01-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Ammonia levels will not move for several days. Might take a week before level begans to drop so may as well save on your tester for a few days.

Wild Turkey
01-10-2009, 11:58 PM
I agree its okay to give it a day or two before you check if you are doing the cycle 100% from scratch.

snipesxxx
01-11-2009, 12:26 AM
If your not seeding I'd wait 3-4 days. Lady Hobbs is right just be wasting your tests.

Shea
01-11-2009, 02:41 AM
A week? Cool. works out even better for me.

Wild Turkey
01-11-2009, 02:45 AM
A week? Cool. works out even better for me.

It MAY take a week, or even two weeks. I would test before then though obviously.

Shea
01-11-2009, 02:56 AM
yea. I will be testing every few days or so.

Wild Turkey
01-11-2009, 02:58 AM
You could always get lucky too shea, a member, i think it was MandyL actually cycled a tank fully in under a week, but on other occasions it has taken literally months. Name of the game is patience and persistence. Good luck!:19:

Shea
01-11-2009, 03:01 AM
Really? thanks man. i'll check back with my gatherings.thumbs2:

Thanks for the help

Shea
01-17-2009, 01:39 AM
Checking back in after 1 week.

Ammonia levels remain UNCHANGED

Ammonia 4-5ppm (looks a shade darker then 4ppm)
Nitrite 0ppm

Mith
01-17-2009, 05:28 AM
You could always get lucky too shea, a member, i think it was MandyL actually cycled a tank fully in under a week, but on other occasions it has taken literally months. Name of the game is patience and persistence. Good luck!:19:

What would take a tank a MONTH to cycle? Did they do something wrong??

lovleeko
01-17-2009, 05:31 AM

Four to six weeks is common for a tank to cycle. A week is record speed. I've done it but with bottled bacteria. With no added help a week is impressive.

lava
01-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Probably a screw up. I screwed up on mine and added to much ammonia witch caused it to stall. Im way over a month on my cycle, but its getting their slowly, my nitrites are at .50 and ammonia is at 2-3 , im hoping it will finish the cycle by next week? X_X sigh. So yea, dont freak out if it takes a little longer, everyone gets there "eventually" that is LOL

Shea
01-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Probably a screw up. I screwed up on mine and added to much ammonia witch caused it to stall. Im way over a month on my cycle, but its getting their slowly, my nitrites are at .50 and ammonia is at 2-3 , im hoping it will finish the cycle by next week? X_X sigh. So yea, dont freak out if it takes a little longer, everyone gets there "eventually" that is LOL

How much did you put in? What were your levels when you added the ammonia.

lava
01-17-2009, 11:35 PM
Um well it was at 0 at first so then I added ammonia and got it to 4-5 at least I thought I did but it actually reached 6-7 ? maybe even higher. I hate the ammonia chart, most of the colors look almost 100% identical and it is hard for me to compare, the test tube with the chart .

Shea
01-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Um well it was at 0 at first so then I added ammonia and got it to 4-5 at least I thought I did but it actually reached 6-7 ? maybe even higher. I hate the ammonia chart, most of the colors look almost 100% identical and it is hard for me to compare, the test tube with the chart .

Did you add the ammonia bit by bit and test after every addition of ammonia?

I'm thinking if you tested right after you added some it didnt have time to mix so you didnt get the proper reading (in this case you had more then you actually had when you compared to the test). So you kept adding more in more and testing right after. Once you got to 5ppm you may have actually had 6-7 once everything settled...... just an idea.

lava
01-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Did you add the ammonia bit by bit and test after every addition of ammonia?

I'm thinking if you tested right after you added some it didnt have time to mix so you didnt get the proper reading (in this case you had more then you actually had when you compared to the test). So you kept adding more in more and testing right after. Once you got to 5ppm you may have actually had 6-7 once everything settled...... just an idea. your a fortune teller arn't you! >=] because that's exactly how it happened LOL

Shea
01-18-2009, 01:52 AM
your a fortune teller arn't you! >=] because that's exactly how it happened LOL

lol nooooo. i dont think i am lol. I have a feeling I might have done the same thing though :scry: .............

I got it to 5ppm last week and now this week its still at 5ppm. I think when i tested it after I added the ammonia it was really at 6-6.5 and now after a week its 5ppm.

lava
01-18-2009, 02:00 AM
lol nooooo. i dont think i am lol. I have a feeling I might have done the same thing though :scry: .............

I got it to 5ppm last week and now this week its still at 5ppm. I think when i tested it after I added the ammonia it was really at 6-6.5 and now after a week its 5ppm.
LMAO! don't sweat it man :D if you wanna reduce the ammonia just add more dechlorinated water and then just test the water to see how much u got it down to. Or if you dont wanna mess with it at all, then just wait till it starts dropping on its own, like I did.

Wild Turkey
01-18-2009, 02:38 AM
Nah lov actually has it right :D
Up to two months is totally normal and not uncommon. Average i would say start to finish is 2-4 or 3-5 weeks.
A million factors can slow down a cycle. The best things to do to ensure speed is raise ur temp to the low 80's and run an airstone especially in the later stages