PDA

View Full Version : I have babies, now what?

f1oored
01-31-2007, 11:22 PM
Alright, I didn't have any problems getting my african cichlids to breed. I have a fry tank with 20 little red zebra babies that are getting bigger each day. I have at least 3 more cichlids that are holding right now. My question is, what do I do with the fish now? I'm looking at possibly 100 baby fish in the next month or so, what am I going to do with all of them? I've asked around at local pet stores and no one seems interested in these little guys.

I was just wondering what everyone is doing with their fry?

Thanks

f1oored

Abbeys_Mom
01-31-2007, 11:53 PM
That's one of the main problems facing hobby breeder. I would love to breed cichlids, but the lfs can get them really cheap. When I breed guppies, I got other fish in trade, but never money or supplies. Even then, I had a hard time getting rid of them. Africans go for about $2 a piece here, so I imagine the store doesn't pay the supplier any more then 50 cents a fish. I really want to breed fish again, but I think the only way I can get away with it is if I breed a type the suppliers don't have often. It would also have to be a fish that sold well. So it's kind of looking for the "Holy Grail" of fish.

f1oored
02-01-2007, 12:01 AM
African cichlids here go for about 10 bucks a piece. I'd sell them for a buck or two if I could, I would even take in store credit. I posted an add on craigs list but doubt that will turn anything up.

Abbeys_Mom
02-01-2007, 12:05 AM
Well, either way, I hope you are able to find homes for them. It's a lot of work to raise them and get nothing from it.

Severus
02-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Well, either way, I hope you are able to find homes for them. It's a lot of work to raise them and get nothing from it.

Yea, even though it is a lot of fun. It can be quite frustrating if you have a bunch of fry you cant get rid of.

f1oored
02-01-2007, 01:07 AM
I already got a hit on my craigslist ad. Maybe this is the way to go.

Sasquatch
02-01-2007, 01:15 AM
We have platies and the didn't even make it out of quarantine before babies showed up. We don't have the room to setup fry tanks, don't have the time to take care of them and probably can't find someone to sell them too.

So, the solution:

We bought a bumblebee catfish to gobble them all up. Simple, neat and no hassles.

f1oored
02-01-2007, 02:59 AM
I just sold 10 fish on craigs list and have another guy who is interested in a few. All this in just a few hours of posting the ad. Maybe craigslist is the place to sell your fry. :)

Drumachine09
02-01-2007, 03:12 AM
How much did you charge him?

f1oored
02-01-2007, 03:35 AM
2 bucks a fish because he bought ten.

Drumachine09
02-01-2007, 03:38 AM
Sweet deal! Arent your Labs holding as well?

f1oored
02-01-2007, 04:05 AM
Yes I have 2 yellow labs holding, a Kennyi, and another zebra.