PDA

View Full Version : Post Cycling

neo-fight
01-10-2009, 07:05 PM
My fishless cycling is complete. I have a few questions. My water comes from a private well with no chlorine It is quite pure. Need I add Cycle or some other conditioner to the water before I add fish? How many fish can I add at once? (I have a 29 gallon tank.) Is there anything else I should do before adding fish?

mrs fishpatrick
01-10-2009, 07:12 PM
what are your nitrate readings?

henryscat
01-10-2009, 07:17 PM
One school of fish at a time i believe is the way forward. My first addition was the 8 Zebra Danios.
The next one 2 weeks later was 5 Julii Corys. All went well!

Wild Turkey
01-10-2009, 07:52 PM
I would still add dechlor to the water. Cycle isnt a water conditioner its supposed to eliminate new tank syndrome (which u did by fishless cycling) but it stinks at it. No reason to ever buy it IMO. Just get some dechlor and dont add ammonia the day before you plan to add fish. Introduce the bio load slowly..break your end stocking up into half or 3 parts and insert each part about 2 weeks apart.(at least)

Northernguy
01-10-2009, 08:14 PM
WT has good advice!:22:
Introduce about 6 fish at first and wait a few weeks (if you can!lol) before getting more!
Make sure you float the new fish first.Adding your tank water to the bag a little at a time until it is 50% your tank water.Do this over the course of about 45 mins.Remove the fish from the bag and dispose of the water.
Never add water from the lfs to your tank!

Wild Turkey
01-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Make sure you float the new fish first.Adding your tank water to the bag a little at a time until it is 50% your tank water.Do this over the course of about 45 mins.Remove the fish from the bag and dispose of the water.
Never add water from the lfs to your tank!
Good advice! net the fish out of the bag always!