PDA

View Full Version : Relocating 75 gl

chester82006
01-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi:) I haven't been on in such a long time, hope everyone is doing well.

I need some advice on how to move my 75 gallon. I'm moving within the next 2 months, the new house is about 10 minutes away. I've heard a few ways it could be done, but I'd love to hear what has worked best in the past.

I have an oscar that's almost 9 inches long, 1 male venustus, and 1 female venustus both about 3-4 inches with 1 small common pleco. There is mostly small and some medium gravel rocks that cover 2 inches from the bottom of the tank.

The last thing I had someone tell me was to empty the tank completely and put some of the water into large containers with air stones. Each holding a fish or a pair of fish. Also taking out all of the gravel and decorations. Other opinions/ways would be appreciated. Thank you :ssmile:

JimTheBetta
01-10-2009, 05:51 PM
I've thought about this myself since i know im moving out in the next year.

I plan on getting containers for each of my fish, and using clove oil in the containers to keep them calm or close to sedation for the transport. I then will draing the tank all the way to the gravel, leave enough water to cover the gravel to keep any bacteria in the gravel in the gravel.

I would take some of the drained off tank water and put my filter media in it (depending on filter, if its cansiter i wouldn't worry) to make sure i don't lose the bacteria. This would be the last thing i move to make sure i could do it right away with no wait, and have time to set it up right away at the new place.

Hope that helps :D

Lady Hobbs
01-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Remove everything. Gravel in buckets covered in a bit of tank water. Fish in tank water in buckets or cooler and tank emptied.
Get to new location and set it back up. Nothing to it. You need to save no water other than the water your gravel and fish is in. Drop an airstone in with your Oscar if it will take you awhile to set it up.

I would get all the furniture where you want it first so you know you have the tank where it needs to be.

Rue
01-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Yup...and the fish in the buckets is a good idea.

Good time to rinse out your gravel as well and get the worst of the mulm out. Don't get it too clean though...

A plastic sieve or something along those lines works great for scooping/rinsing the gravel as you take it out of the old tank...

Northernguy
01-10-2009, 07:08 PM
For your Oscar you want a plastic tub.A bucket may be too tight.
Thank God for Rubbermaid.thumbs2:

Sharon
01-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Remove everything. Gravel in buckets covered in a bit of tank water. Fish in tank water in buckets or cooler and tank emptied.
Get to new location and set it back up. Nothing to it. You need to save no water other than the water your gravel and fish is in. Drop an airstone in with your Oscar if it will take you awhile to set it up.

I would get all the furniture where you want it first so you know you have the tank where it needs to be.

Yep, that about covers it. We recently moved my daughter's 90 gal tank, and didn't lose a fish. The Balas didn't like being caught but adjusted quite well...just set up the tank in the new location as quickly as possible...

bushwhacker
01-10-2009, 07:40 PM
you really dont want anything in that 75 when you move it the tanks heavy enough by itself

Northernguy
01-11-2009, 04:53 AM
I agree empty!
Anything larger than a 29 should be completely empty.

chester82006
01-23-2009, 04:28 AM
Thank you all so much for the info. I'm sorry it took me such a long time to reply, I'm usually good about these things :14:

Well, looks like emptying it out completely is how it's going to have to be done. I just worry about trying to get them back into the tank fast enough. I'd hate to leave them in those buckets for too long.

Jeffbdd
01-24-2009, 04:06 AM
Just fyi, Where i live the water isnt the greatest. (it is a big city just not good water for fish). I was told when moving my aquarium take as much water as u can. I would check at sum local pet stores on there ideas but the more original water u keep is a safer bet.

korith
01-24-2009, 05:47 AM
A plastic sieve or something along those lines works great for scooping/rinsing the gravel as you take it out of the old tank...

Can buy a small plastic dustpan from the dollar store, works great.

chester82006
01-24-2009, 06:08 AM
Yes thank you, I was planning on keeping a lot of the water. :11:
The dust pan thing sounds like a good idea.

Lady Hobbs
01-24-2009, 07:09 AM
You already had the proper way of moving tanks and fish. Remove everything. Do not move a tank over 20 gallons with gravel and water in it or it puts stress on the seams. Put your fish in coolers and some tank water (naturally) and add an airstone to the cooler when you get to the new location while getting the tank set up. You can rinse out the gravel in the tank water you are throwing out. No need to transfer water as bacteria is not in the water but in the filter media (mostly) and in the gravel.