PDA

View Full Version : Electric Blue Jack Dempsey site and forum.

Glasstapper
01-31-2007, 07:22 PM
If you're looking for one site that has lots of information about the electric blue jack dempsey, then check out this one:

http://bluejax.co.uk/default.aspx

and there's a forum started by the same guy:

http://bluejax.14.forumer.com/index.php?sid=3ff2486e2c765b7df7eef8c9f1350ca1

both sites are still new and the owner is still collecting information, but it's the most I've been able to find in one place about this fish.

Severus
01-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Great site. Thanks!

jeffs99dime
01-31-2007, 09:32 PM
good site. i agree!

Glasstapper
01-31-2007, 09:34 PM
I've got Sal on there. :)

AquaQueen
01-31-2007, 09:58 PM
Great site GT...I am joining this one Thanks... I am now a bit Curious about my Jack and Jackie..What type of Dempsies are my guys here are pictures of both of them.
The first pic is Jack and the second is Jackie they are the same breed...The last pic is just showing the size difference between them.

AquaQueen
01-31-2007, 09:59 PM
I've got Sal on there. :)

As soon as I seen the name and picture I knew it was your fish...he's a cutie!

Glasstapper
01-31-2007, 10:08 PM
Great site GT...I am joining this one Thanks... I am now a bit Curious about my Jack and Jackie..What type of Dempsies are my guys here are pictures of both of them.
The first pic is Jack and the second is Jackie they are the same breed...The last pic is just showing the size difference between them.

You know, the electric blues supposedly can't reproduce with each other. You have to cross them with regular jack dempseys that show the "blue" trait. People are willing to pay some mad money for one of those regular blue dempseys! If you've got one, hold on to it tightly!

AquaQueen
01-31-2007, 10:15 PM
You know, the electric blues supposedly can't reproduce with each other. You have to cross them with regular jack dempseys that show the "blue" trait. People are willing to pay some mad money for one of those regular blue dempseys! If you've got one, hold on to it tightly!

Really I always think that is odd how some fish will breed and then others wont...ya think they have a complex or just "gun shy"??? LOL So are mine regular blue Dempsies?

Glasstapper
01-31-2007, 10:42 PM
yeah, they're saying that two electric blues will actually breed together, but the fry never live past a few days. No one really knows why, although there are tons of different beliefs.

I don't know if yours are carrying the blue gene or not, but maybe someone at that site could tell you.

Severus
01-31-2007, 11:07 PM
PAQ- Your one Dempsey Jack looks like he might be a possible carrier. I have no experience with this but his jaw looks really blue. My guys jaw is more blotchy not so much solid.

AquaQueen
01-31-2007, 11:43 PM
I will ask as soon as I can. I am still not allowed to make any post's..Waiting on my snail mail...geez email used to be alot faster.

AquaQueen
01-31-2007, 11:51 PM
PAQ- Your one Dempsey Jack looks like he might be a possible carrier. I have no experience with this but his jaw looks really blue. My guys jaw is more blotchy not so much solid.

Oh I really hope so I have plans of buying a 100gal to put the oscars in within like the next few months so the my dempsies can be happy...My little guy (Jackie) is very fiesty and causes lots of bickering between my Oscar's and Jack...even to the point of Jack almost locking lips with my albino oscar....I almost lost it...Now we have lots of caves to give them all thier own spot until we get the new tank.

Severus
02-01-2007, 12:12 AM
Yea, a 100gal for two Oscars would be nice. How big is your current tank, because as you know once little jackie gets bigger his temper will get worse. lol

AquaQueen
02-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Yea I know he will get worse. Jackie does not fight with my other Dempsy those two love each other, Jack is the one who fights with the Oscars...Jackie is just fiesty(IMO) because he will eat small feeders and little worms...where Jack has not eaten a fish yet...he does like worms which was surprising. We bought Jack because he was labled "Agressive!!" he was brought back to the store because he killed everything in the guys tank...I didn't think he would have changed this much...he has shown agression Trust me...hubby wanted to try him with my gourami and I almost lost my mind seeing how his face puffed out and he was slamming into the side of Ol' Blue(he was removed IMEDIATELY!!) then he was doomed with the boring old catfish and NEVER did anything...but he is in a 55gal at the moment his tank mates are the Oscars and Jackie...I had some golds in there hoping someone would eat them but not time I guess. I was told two JD's would be good in a 55 alone...is that true?

jeffs99dime
02-01-2007, 12:42 AM
i would still only keep 2 adult oscars in a 100gallon. 2 would be fine

Severus
02-01-2007, 03:23 AM
You could probably get away with two JD's in a 55. Might have to watch out for aggression, but you would definitely need to really stay on top of things but it would be easier than two Oscars in a 55. And certainly alot easier than two Oscars AND 2 JD's. lol

AquaQueen
02-01-2007, 12:23 PM
You could probably get away with two JD's in a 55. Might have to watch out for aggression, but you would definitely need to really stay on top of things but it would be easier than two Oscars in a 55. And certainly alot easier than two Oscars AND 2 JD's. lol

Oh God Yeah....I have a filter system on the 55 and we do weekly water changes on all of our tanks...Two on the 55 where they eat live foods on top of the regular stuff hubby feeds them. I was told as long as everyone has thier own cave"space" they should be fine. So I am hoping it will be fine. The two JD'S are lovers(I think) and the same with the Oscars so I think it'll be alright.

AquaQueen
02-01-2007, 03:53 PM
i would still only keep 2 adult oscars in a 100gallon. 2 would be fine

Yea that's what we are going to do. I want them to be comfotable. I just always thought that two fish to one tank is just like a waste...but now that I have my babies and love them so much I have to make them happy no matter what it takes...Rearranging tanks to accomidate<~~(unsure on the spelling of that) all of my fishies needs.

Severus
02-02-2007, 04:05 AM
You should be fine

AquaQueen
02-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Yea that's what I am thinking..Things will be just fine and my fish will be happy with what we give them for a home. Thanks!

MySpace Mike
08-02-2007, 05:21 PM
A great site for Electric Blue Jack Dempseys is www.wildcichlids.net, on there the site admins are actual breeders of the EBJD's and can help with any questions you may have about the Electric Blue Jack Dempsey. I am actually purchasing a pair of breeding EBJD's from the site admins.

Glasstapper
08-31-2007, 09:26 PM
Nice site, Mike! I'm so excited to see the popularity of these beautiful fish grow. I do miss my little Sal so much. She (found out Sal was a female) was just the cutest little thing and her color was amazing! They have a bad reputation for being delicate, but I was a total newb and kept her healthy (aside from pairing her with an incompatible roommate and she injured her eye). The trick is to understand their needs and cater to them.

Good luck with your blues! They are indeed a wonderful wet pet with lots of personality.