PDA

View Full Version : Safe Water Changes

wetnoodle
01-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Hi folks. I've been doing water changes for years by conditioning the water in buckets before putting it in the tank. Now, I want to get a larger tank where it would be more practicle to run a hose to the tank instead.

This is going to be a fancy goldfish tank. Do you put enough conditioner in the tank to cover the whole 50 gallon volume? Or do you put enogh to cover the amount of water you're replacing? In any event, would the sudden rush of chlorinated water shock the fish? How do you guys do large water changes?

Lady Hobbs
01-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Sounds like you may be investing in a python water changer? The best thing since mirowaves and computers were invented! As the tank is refilling, just add your dechlorinator. I add enough each time for the whole tank but you don't need to. I just feel safer knowing for sure that I have enough in there. You will not overdose your fish.

Welcome to AC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rue
01-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Congrats! I have a 55g fancy goldfish tank too! Love it...so do my 4 golfish!thumbs2:

Northernguy
01-10-2009, 09:04 PM
The Python will save you time and execise!:19: lol

kazinvan
09-14-2009, 08:39 PM
What is the general consensus for python use?

Drain the tank, add enough neutralizer to cover the addition of the tap water, start adding tap water?

Is the reaction fast enough that the chlorine does not affect the overall tank stability?

Deleted User
09-14-2009, 08:54 PM
We just got a Python last week and I love it!!!

We have well water w/ no chlorine in it, but I do put a conditioner in it (probably not necessary). I put it all in after I've drained water from the tank.

rookie
09-14-2009, 09:12 PM
the water conditioner acts instintly on contact. what i do is once i am ready to start filling i turn off my filter to protect my bacteria. then i dose for the amount of the entire tank. if you have a 55 gallon tank you should put enough dechor to treat 55 gallons the resoning behind this is that the dechoranatior is mixed with existing tank water so in order for the declorinater to come in contact with the new water you have to dose for the intire tank. once the tank is full i keep my filter off for about another 10 mins to make sure all the chlorine was nuturalized then i turn my filter back on. congrats on a bigger tank and alot easyer way of wc's hope this helps

Lady Hobbs
09-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Good post Rookie.

kazinvan
09-14-2009, 10:39 PM
the water conditioner acts instintly on contact. what i do is once i am ready to start filling i turn off my filter to protect my bacteria. then i dose for the amount of the entire tank. if you have a 55 gallon tank you should put enough dechor to treat 55 gallons the resoning behind this is that the dechoranatior is mixed with existing tank water so in order for the declorinater to come in contact with the new water you have to dose for the intire tank. once the tank is full i keep my filter off for about another 10 mins to make sure all the chlorine was nuturalized then i turn my filter back on. congrats on a bigger tank and alot easyer way of wc's hope this helps

Makes sense to turn off the filters, thanks. Not that it helps me as I can't put a python on any of my taps :scratchheadyellow: I was just curious.

rookie
09-15-2009, 12:35 AM
it didnt fit on mine eather but were the water comes out that cap comes off your faucet. you can buy an adapter. i got mine at the lfs for a plastic adapter it was like 3 or 4 bucks and for a metal one it was 6 or 7. i would definatly get a python it makes life so easy. good luck

Deleted User
09-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Also, they sell adaptors for the sink end of the python. Only one sink in our house fit it (male vs. female fittings), but the adaptor is only a couple dollars and you can find them online and at petshops. I got our fitting on eBay (and the Python at BigAls).

kazinvan
09-15-2009, 04:35 PM
I looked, there seems to be no way to attach a python to my tap :(

This is the one I have http://common3.csnimages.com/lf/1/hash/902/1801158/1/Parisa+Modern+Pull-Out+Spray+Kitchen+Faucet.jpg