PDA

View Full Version : Hello - New Freshwater tank enthusiast!

Awaken88
01-10-2009, 06:47 AM
Hello all, i'll start with my name

Richie

Just purchased a 2nd hand 3ft fish tank, managed to bring half the water with me in 20L containers...

So had no need to cycle the tank, and it also came with 5 fish. 2 Catfish, 2 Clown loaches, 1 neon tetra.

So far 1 Loach and the neon has died :(

The loach was about 4inchs long and didn't seem to take to the new fish in the tank, never came out to eat and always wanted to hide in its hole...while the other loach was racing around cleaning up the bottom of the tank!

Have noticed the ph is up around 7.4 :/ put some ph down in there to gradually bring it down over the next few days (guess this could be a reason as to why it died?)

Got the water tested yesterday and they said the ammonia levels were a little high and to clean the tank out...which i've done. Emptied half the water out and refilled with tap + the water cleaner. Ph level was still the same (out of curiousity i tested the tap water, that had the same PH as the tank...this mean i should put something else in the water before i put it in the tank?)

Anyway, currently in the tank are

3 Clown Loaches (had to get more, didn't want the one to be lonely! Understand they will grow bigger, by then i would have enough money to get a nice 6ft tank made! Can get the glass etc and do all myself)

3 Rainbow Sharks (Have seen 2 of them 'fighting' meaning they go side by side and hit eachother with their heads and tails, its hilarious to watch)

4 Pakistani Loaches Lovely little things, constantly on the move eating!

2 Bristlenose catfish about 1inch long

5 Scissortail Fish ( Good to have fish up the top so it doesn't look so empty)

2 Swordtails, 1 female (tried to find more females as to no luck) and shes currently pregnant so i've been told...tried putting her in a floating fish hatcher but seems crewl, keeps spinnin around in the current and she won't eat in there so took her out, think we have enough fish atm!

2 Other catfish at about 4inchs long each...beautiful and only come out when its starting to get dark..or i turn the lights out, occasionally coming out when the lights are on too! And still not lost a fish to them :)

2 Other fish which i forget the name of, there bottom feeders and don't seen to be bothered by any other fish...just get on with eating and sleeping!

Only problems i can see atm is that 1 clown loach that i got with the tank has lost its colours...i'm guessing this is stress related or from not eating food? reading the net gives so many answers as noone seems to know the best reason!

Also one keeps doing the 'im dead fish me out' trick...then when i get to the top of the tank in the net it starts swimmin in the net...then will get out the net...play dead and float upside down to the bottom of the tank, hit the floor and then swim off and hide in a coner. Its funny to watch, but the fish doesn't look to well..atm its 5pm and the 3 clowns are 'sleeping' (Again not sure if this is the high PH as there supposed to be 6.5-7

Any help and advice would be much appreciated!

cheers,

Richard

Poofaye C.
01-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Wow, that's a long thread for an introduction....lol.

Welcome to the AC....Hopefully your problems are mostly due to stress and things work themselves out soon.

korith
01-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Hi welcome to the site. You really didn't need to bring any old tank water. As long as you got the old media they were using in the filter it would have been all good.

angelcakes
01-10-2009, 08:29 AM
hello and welcome:19: :19:

Ghostknife
01-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Welcome.

You have 10 to 12 bottom feeders in there? That seems quite alot for a 3 ft, hopefully your 6 foot will come soon enough.

Your Clown loaches don't sound too great! I don't have them so I suppose I don't know their normal behaviour, but it doesn't sound right.
I also understand that the swordtails will constantly have fry so you could end up with alot of feeder fish, which would be great I suppose, unless you plan o breeding.

Best of luck with it. You are in the right place for advise I believe.

Awaken88
01-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Cheers guys!

bad news, just had the water checked again (after changing it..) and the ammonia levels had gone up and so had the nitrate levels...

Looked like a few of the fish had almost had enough :(

Managed to change the water again, now the clowns have a bit more colour back in them :) and i've put a heap of cycle into the water to kill all that nasty ammonia/

So far lost only 2 scissortails :( least the rest seem to becoming stronger with the water change, more active :)

Ghostknife
01-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Cheers guys!

bad news, just had the water checked again (after changing it..) and the ammonia levels had gone up and so had the nitrate levels...

Looked like a few of the fish had almost had enough :(

Managed to change the water again, now the clowns have a bit more colour back in them :) and i've put a heap of cycle into the water to kill all that nasty ammonia/

So far lost only 2 scissortails :( least the rest seem to becoming stronger with the water change, more active :)

Happens us all, if you read my profile you would see what happened me on my first attempt at keeping fish, I think it was 11 of the first 12 died in a short space of time. It got alot better once I knew what was going on. Steep learning curve.

Good luck

Dave66
01-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Howdy and welcome to the forum, Richie!

Dave

TazManiac
01-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi and welcome to AC.

I am going to have a go at answering some of your queries and hopefully we can sort out some of your problems.

.....it also came with 5 fish. 2 Catfish, 2 Clown loaches, 1 neon tetra......
Am I reading this that the tank you bought contained 5 fish originally?

......and didn't seem to take to the new fish in the tank......
This is where I get the above idea. It sounds like you bought more fish.

......Have noticed the ph is up around 7.4 :/ put some ph down in there to gradually bring it down over the next few days......
A steady PH that is slightly high is better than trying to use PH Down to maintain a certain PH. I would leave the water alone as it will cause more headaches than it is worth.

......Got the water tested yesterday and they said the ammonia levels were a little high and to clean the tank out......
Ammonia should be zero. Ammonia is deadly to fish.

Anyway, currently in the tank are

3 Clown Loaches
3 Rainbow Sharks
4 Pakistani Loaches
2 Bristlenose
5 Scissortail Fish
2 Swordtails
2 Other catfish
2 Other fish which i forget the name of
That seems like HEAPS of fish for a 3 foot tank.

So here is what I'm thinking. To me it sounds like the tank had the 5 fish in it when you got it. If this is wrong then the rest of my statements will be too.

The tank was stabilized to support the 5 fish. You need to add extra fish slowly so that the filter can adjust to support the extra bio load from the extra fish. To me it sounds as if you added a whole bunch of new fish and the tank is going through a "Mini Cycle", hence the ammonia readings.

It seems to me that you have two options.
1. Take a whole bunch of those fish back to the shop
2. Have a whole bunch, if not all, your fish die from ammonia and nitrite poisoning.

I don't mean to sound harsh, and we have all done it before. I just don't see any other outcomes with this tank if something isn't done now.

Let me know if I have read this wrong.

Best of luck.

Aaron

Northernguy
01-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Welcome to the AC!:22:
Your fish are definately stressed.Water changes are the best meds.
Get your ammonia and nitrites down to 0.Your nitrates should be no higher than 20ppm.
Please read the free e-book on the left.It can't hurt.
This may also answer some questions.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5640

troy
01-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Welcome to AC!

Jellygirl
01-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I too made quite a few mistakes when i first started keeping fish and reading your post has made me realise that after several months of serious fish keeping I have acutally learned something lol.

Hope your problems soon sort themselves out. The advice given is sound and I will continue to need help and advice on the forum - its all a pretty big learning curve.

Jellygirl

Shea
01-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Welcome! This is an awesome forum. Lots of help and very infomative. Enjoy your stay!

Awaken88
01-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Cheers guys, managed to only loose 3 fish so far from the ammonia levels. Used some cycle and cleaned the tank and filter out yesterday.

And yes i did have 5 in there to start with

Came home this morning to find that all the unhealthy fish are now swimming around and looking great :)

Will start cleaning the tank every 2nd day for the next ?? (How long do you recommened before the filter gets on track for the fish?)

also, how much should we be feeding them...

I've been told/read a varied diet...so bloodworms one week, flakes another etc

So if i was to feed them bloodworms would i use one cube for the day? or 1 cube twice a day? still just a pinch of flakes? twice a day?

Don't want to over feed them and have the ammonia and nitrates go threw the roof again, but i don't want to starve them either!

now i do have plants in the tank for them aswell!

But it always seems the top feeders get the food first and theres nothing left for the guys down the bottom..

One clown has still not got its full colours back, but the one that was practically dead is back up and running :) So it seems the quick action that i took has saved the lifes of my fish :)

While all the fish are small we wanted diversity threwout the tank so that we have a few different species to watch and observe.

Thanks again for all your replies!

Richie

Northernguy
01-11-2009, 12:29 AM
I highly recomend you get yourself a liquid master test kit.
If you are cyling with fish get a better additive than cycle,really.
I used it and it took forever to get the cycle finished.You will also need a large bottle of dechlorinator for the daily water changes you will be doing.
Every ammonia or nitrite spike you get start doing large water changes,at least 50% to keep the toxins down.Test daily.

bushwhacker
01-11-2009, 01:18 AM
first quit cleaning your filter, you have thrown that tank into a new cycle. all you can do now is test and do water changes at the first sign of ammonia and nitrites

Awaken88
01-11-2009, 05:18 AM
The filter was extremely dirty, i left the tube things in a bowl of the tank water, and just cleaned out the sponge which was full of rubbish, and also emptied all the sand out the filter (The last person had this white sand on the bottom, which we have in there too, loaches seem to love digging holes in it!)

We have 3 bottles of declorinator so we shouldn't be too bad there.

And if not using cycle, whats the best product to use? Just that was what the local petshop recommended for us...

Thanks again guys for all your replies :)

Crispy
01-11-2009, 07:12 AM
Your light colored loach may be showing dominance over the 'new' loaches. Usually the dominant loach (usually female) will change a lighter color, letting the others know who is the alpha.

sandy_n
01-12-2009, 09:18 AM
first quit cleaning your filter, you have thrown that tank into a new cycle. all you can do now is test and do water changes at the first sign of ammonia and nitrites

Totally agree with bushwhacker...concentrate on water changes only.
Good luck.

Awaken88
01-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Finally got the water down to 0ppm. Seems to be stable there over the last 2 days :) Seems like everything should be alot better now!

Will keep up with the water changes when the ammonia gets higher (got myself a test kit so i can do it daily)

The fish seem to be thriving in there now, won't be adding anymore!

mac
01-14-2009, 02:43 AM
Welcome to the forum. Glad everything is sorting out for you.

Just my thought I would remove or return two of the Sharks. These fish do much better by them selves. And if they are not separated they can cause lot's of stress to other fish by constantly fighting each-other, and eventually they will kill them selves out with possibly only one left alive the strongest.

mac