PDA

View Full Version : Gonna try more flow...

Rue
01-10-2009, 12:41 AM
I didn't want to...but I added another powerhead to my tank. I want to see if more flow will help get rid of the cyano, in addition to my manual removal of it.

One of the RSM's 2 powerheads wasn't working, and although the tank gets along just fine on one for short periods of time, it's not good for the long haul, and I had no desire to take apart the RSM to get to the broken powerhead at the moment.

I had purchased a 2nd hand, but never used (still in the box) Tunze 6025 last year as a spare. So I took it out...tried to put it together...couldn't figure it out...THEN read the instructions...only to find out I was missing the bracket.

I thought I was out of luck. But I called my LFS and guess what? They sell extra brackets! Who knew? $16 later and I'm the happy owner of a curved bit of plastic.

So, I put the powerhead together...snaked the electrical cord through the back of the RSM hood...found an extra outlet for it on the wall behind the tank! Bonus! Plugged it in - and away we go!

Then...to my surprise...I find that the 'broken' powerhead is working just fine.

It's a miracle. And a mystery.

Now we'll see how the cyano does over the next few days...I've been winning the battles...but it was winning the war...

Lady Hobbs
01-10-2009, 02:43 AM
Congrats on the new piece of plastic for $15. LOL Gez, they have you coming and going, don't they? What I like is the spraybar I've been meaning to get for ages. They sell the end caps for it separately. Now, what the heck is the point of having a spraybar if the water just pours out the end of it? Why can't they toss the end caps in the box! Next they will sell the canisters without the hoses.

Hope this takes care of your cyano. Guess you find a spot for your Nano tank?

Rue
01-10-2009, 02:55 AM
Yes...it's amazing how they make their money...but I suppose we're happy enough to spend it!

Still working on the frag tank. I need to get some acrylic strips or glass ones, to span the tank, to sit the lights on...I don't know what I (or my custom guy) was thinking. My lights are too short for the tank...

And after all I went through to order them...I'm keeping them...

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-10-2009, 03:07 AM
How bad is your cyano problem Rue? How old is the tank?

Rue
01-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Well, I'm not sure how to quantify it since I've only ever seen it and/or dealt with it in my own tank.

The tank is 1.75 years old. I had an issue with it this summer - the lights were out for ~6 weeks and the tank declined (long story).

Anyway, I'm putting in an effort to bring it back - I've had success manually removing the cyano by picking it out and by irrititating it (brushing it) even though you're not supposed to do that - I found if you do it daily, it eventually goes away...

So that's what I'm doing this time...plus the added flow from the 3rd powerhead...

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-10-2009, 02:47 PM
What are your water parameters? You thought about adding a phosphate absorber at all?

Rue
01-10-2009, 03:05 PM
I didn't keep my last test results...water is fine though, all in the 'normal' range. The tank must have a low phosphate level though, because I also have/had a hair algae issue.

I did stick in a phosphate removal pad last week, figured it wouldn't hurt. I tried to get feedback on the product, and can't find any, so I'll assume it works. I have no idea how often it needs replacing though - I was trying to look that up as well.

I was underfeeding the tank during the 'dark days'. Now I'm feeding more often again - just have to make sure I don't overfeed.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-10-2009, 03:07 PM
What brand of phosphate remover are you using? I'm using some as well and I'm curious.

Rue
01-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Just the HBH phosphate removal pads...cut to fit in your filter.

You can buy them everywhere, but my reef store carries it and says it works. I trust the reef store so I thought I'd try it. It's certainly easy, and I want something easy - provided it works.

I've found that the SW guys often like to complicate things just for the fun of it...:hmm3grin2orange:

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-10-2009, 03:59 PM
I've found that the SW guys often like to complicate things just for the fun of it...:hmm3grin2orange:

Totally agree. That's why I keep to the KISS method. :)

Rue
01-10-2009, 10:06 PM
KISS is good - too bad life intrudes on the concept...:hmm3grin2orange:

Today's purchase (for the frag tank):

A 4" by 20" piece of glass and two plastic doohickeys (to glue onto glass to keep glass from sliding into tank along with expensive light fixture): $15

And I just realized I don't have a heater for the tank...*argh*

Rue
01-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Well...it will work...but it won't be overly convenient.

First of all I tried to set the lights...but I don't think I did it right - so I gave up and tried to mount the lights over the tank, hit the glass brace, it fell in the thank and chipped...thankfully the tank is okay...

Was busy today...didn't have time to play with the lights more and reset them...

...another day...another go at it...:hmm3grin2orange:

jimpierce
01-11-2009, 11:39 PM
if at first you don't succeed............. blah blah blah, right? lol Sorry about the piece of bad luck.

Rue
01-12-2009, 12:09 AM
It's just been a minor comedy of errors...I'll get there eventually...:hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
01-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Movin' forward...sloooooowly...bought a Stealth heater today - for 30 gallons...I hope it's big enough given the tank is 27g...or should I exchange it for the next size up...which I think is for 55g?

Also bought it it's own MagFloat! (I spoil my tanks...)...

Rue
01-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Man! I'm dragging my heels on this frag tank set-up. I'd like to have it up and running...but I don't want to set it up.

I have all the components...just need to do a test run with well water to make sure everything is working before I fill it up with SW (expensive if I have to dump it)...

I think, in part, it's because I'm worried about the lights falling into the tank...