PDA

View Full Version : karl is a problematic piglet!

katieo80
01-09-2009, 09:24 PM
hello ac!

okay, so i have a bit of an issue with my lovely red crowntail betta karl jung. he is absolutely wonderful, except for one thing:

HE GOES FOR THE SNAIL'S ALGAE FLAKES.

now, this wouldn't be an issue, except that i break the tablets up into smaller bits for the snails, and he will chase them as i drop them into the tank. and sometimes, he just swallows 'em whole. one time i saw him do this, and he looked really bloated and distressed for a second, and then he coughed it up and and went along his fishy way. i thought he had learned his lesson, but this morning he did it again. and i had to go to work before i saw him cough it up!

i hope i don't go home this evening to a dead fish kilt by algae consumption! but i really don't get why he does this. i feed him 4 betta pellets every day, with the occasional skipped day for digestive rest, and bloodworm treats a couple times a week. it's not like he's starving. the snails seem to get enough food, so i'm sure he's not eating the algae tables all the time.

WHAT DO I DO? is this bad for him? is he being a territorial jerk by going for the pellets? do i have a betta trying to become a vegetarian for moral reasons? aaaaah! thanks everybody! --katieo

Sharon
01-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Some Bettas are real gluttons, and will eat way too much, if you let them. Try not breaking the wafer up, so he can't get it in his mouth. Fish can choke...