PDA

View Full Version : unknown shrimp

deep_blu
01-09-2009, 09:01 PM
I have a question... i think i've got a pistol shrimp in my tank & i was wondering if they can damage any corals or harm any fish. today i heard this loud clicking sound & i noticed that it was my "unknown" shrimp. a hermit crab came too clse to his hole & he was making it quite known that he was not happy with this. Unfortuntely i can't even get a pic of it coz it's very shy but i've googled the pistol shrimp and i'm pretty sure that's what it is. Any thoughts??

cocoa_pleco
01-09-2009, 09:15 PM
not a harm, but if you have a glass tank theres a small chance it can shatter it

travie
01-09-2009, 09:16 PM
I hope it is a pistol shrimp for your sake. It could also be a mantis shrimp. I wouldn't be putting my hands into the tank till you get a definite id. A mantis shrimp can break fingers. Setup a trap for it, so you can get a good look at it.

deep_blu
01-09-2009, 09:21 PM
o my!! had my hands in there today!! how would i set a trap for it?? i'm not even sure where it's come from. obv it came from all the LR somewhere but from what i've seen it's quite big already & i haven't noticed it before. but wot piqued my curiosity was when i started noticing mounds of sand. now that i've looked properly i can see that the shrimp has been burrowing all over. my cleaner shrimp also gets kicked out of his hole occassionally when the unknown shrimp takes over for a while!

The Wedge
01-09-2009, 09:27 PM
If its a mantis which is a frequent hitchhiker...You are going to have to get 'em out some how. You could always rent an octopus:hmm3grin2orange: If its a pistol get a prawn goby of some sort like a yellow watchman...they'll be buds

cocoa_pleco
01-10-2009, 12:56 AM
yeah, thats the other thing. if its a mantis, best to use caution. they can break your bones if they strike at you. they spearers will eat fish and smashers will smash inverts, they also have the potential to smash your tank

deep_blu
01-11-2009, 08:53 AM
damn that's not good!! i saw the pincers the other day. it's got 1 that's bigger than the other & like mottled brown & white colour. i googled it & i'm pretty sure it's a pistol shrimp. my husband bought me a mandarin the other day & so far it seems like it's not getting chased from the 'unknown's' hole. maybe they're making friends. i was going to get a goby if it's a pistol but maybe now i won't have to.... :)

Mustang Boy
01-11-2009, 06:15 PM
yea definitely now a mantis the dont have pincers so im betting on the pistol shirmp

deep_blu
01-12-2009, 05:27 AM
i think so 2. the 1 pic of a pistol that i googles has the same colouration on the pistols pincers. i'm glad but damn the things digs all over!

travie
01-12-2009, 04:08 PM
I hope you put LR in the tank first, then sand in the tank. Or you could have a LR collapse eventually.

labnjab
01-12-2009, 05:01 PM
damn that's not good!! i saw the pincers the other day. it's got 1 that's bigger than the other & like mottled brown & white colour. i googled it & i'm pretty sure it's a pistol shrimp. my husband bought me a mandarin the other day & so far it seems like it's not getting chased from the 'unknown's' hole. maybe they're making friends. i was going to get a goby if it's a pistol but maybe now i won't have to.... :)

How old is the tank and and how big is it? A mandarin really needs a mature tank with over 100lbs of live rock, or it may starve

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Furthermore, a Mandarin isn't even a Goby so the chances of them being "buds" is pretty much nil.

deep_blu
01-13-2009, 04:49 PM
How old is the tank and and how big is it? A mandarin really needs a mature tank with over 100lbs of live rock, or it may starve

I feed the mandarin brine shrimp & he's happy so i'm not too worried just yet. the tank is about 300l (not sure of how many gallons) and there's plenty of LR for him too. he seems happy just a bit shy.

deep_blu
01-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Furthermore, a Mandarin isn't even a Goby so the chances of them being "buds" is pretty much nil.

i know but it would've been kewl. actually the last few days i haven't noticed any new mounds of sand or any noises coming from the shrimp so i dunno if he's still ok?!