PDA

View Full Version : Water Lettuce

labnjab
01-08-2009, 11:31 PM
We've been thinking about getting some water lettuce for our goldfish tank to help combat the diatoms and take up any excess nutrients (currently the only plant we have is a small clump of java fern). We saw an add on craigslist for 2 heads for $5.

Would this be a good plant to get, or is it a problem plant? I heard its a fast grower, so that would highly benefit our goldfish tank in keeping nitrates down (their around 10 or 15, but I like to keep them low, and we've been fighting diatoms)

gm72
01-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Regular water lettuce gets enormous and might not do well in cooler water (not sure about that though).

labnjab
01-08-2009, 11:36 PM
currently the temp is around 75 (which is odd, no heater and the room stays at 70, and I've used 3 thermometers to confirm it). Is 75 too low? By enormous, do you mean it grows out of the tank, or the roots go down deep? I don't mind it completely covering the top of the tank because we don't have much for plants, and I'm sure the goldfish will love it, as long as they don't eat it, lol

gm72
01-08-2009, 11:50 PM
It will get tall as well which may be a problem depending on your water level in relation to the lights or hood. I think the goldfish will eat it. 75 degrees is actually on the warm side for goldfish.

Lady Hobbs
01-09-2009, 12:03 AM
What kind of light do you have? Water lettuce needs med - high light. How about hornwort? That's a low light and also a nitrate absorber.

labnjab
01-09-2009, 12:14 AM
I have 80 watts with a shop light 2 t-12 plant/ aquarium bulbs so its pretty low light. I always heard faintails were alright at warmer temps and the comets had the problem when it got too warm. I don't understand why the waters so warm, as it was 70 all summer and the room was 70. Now its winter and the room is still 70, but their tank is 75. I think fishguy (correct me if I'm wrong) keeps some of his fantail goldfish at tropical temps and their doing great..

I'll skip the water lettuce, I keep the water level at the very top, almost overflowing. I'll have to check out hornwort and see if I can locate them cheaply locally. I'm trying to slowly get all of our freshwater tanks moderately planted as cheaply as possible, lol, if that even is possible. Right now they look terrible cosmetically (the darkside of saltwater has had all our funds tied up since september), but were planning on having our freshwater tanks made over by spring, and possibly a 90 gallon for our goldies (fingers crossed).

Thank you for the heads up on water lettuce

gm72
01-09-2009, 12:32 AM
There is some debate about temperatures and goldfish, one I'm not going to enter other than to say that in general...in general...goldfish appreciate cooler temperature.

labnjab
01-09-2009, 02:04 AM
I have heard both sides of the fence. I've always believed and I actually wish their tank was cooler, like it was all summer, but for some reason it stays above room temperature They seem very healthy and very happy. But that's a different topic...lol

Other then horn wort, are there any other low light floating plants that would do good in cooler temps. I'm thinking of doing their tank all floating plants, at least until they get their 90. I want them to have as much swimming room as possible, they are very active and very clumsy and do laps around the tank