PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal for a fishless cycle?

Binnsey
01-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Hey all,

I've had my tank going for about 10 days now. Added pure ammonia at the start to 5 ppm. Here's my issue: Once on about day 5 the ammonia dropped so I added more. I figured that meant it was time to test for Nitrites. As of today, my ammonia is around 2 (first drop since day 5). My nitrites are still showing as 0. From what I've read, I should be seeing either A) constant drops in ammonia or B) Nitrites. I could be misunderstanding what I've read, but this seems odd to me.

Anyone know what might be going on, or am I just starting to get impatient?

Lady Hobbs
01-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Let your nitrites test sit for about 5 minutes if using the liquid. It seems to take a while for the numbers to show up.

Just keep adding ammonia to 4-5 until you began to see those nitrites then drop back on the ammonia to around 2-3. You will have to add ammonia daily about now but I suspect you will see nitrites at any time now.

Your ammonia not dropping for several days was normal. Now it should be moving daily.

gourami*girl
01-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Agreed with all the Lady Hobbs said,

and also, are you shaking the heck out of your nitrites test bottle? YOu need to shake it hard for literally 30 seconds to a minute or you could be getting inaccurate results. Also, let it sit for 5 minutes as Lady Hobbs suggested.

Northernguy
01-08-2009, 01:41 PM
One more thing other than what was previously posted.
Check the date for expirey.They are only good for a year!

Wild Turkey
01-08-2009, 02:22 PM
All good advice!

Have you used these kits before or are they new?

Binnsey
01-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the replys.

The kit is brand new, bought it the same day I started my cycle. It's an API master test kit, which is the recommended one from what I've seen around here.

I am shaking the vials really well and letting them sit for at least 5 mins, sometimes longer.

Thanks for reassuring me that things seem to be ok, I just want to get fish in it asap. But then again, this isn't something I can really rush so I'll just try to be patient and hopefully it goes well.