PDA

View Full Version : I need some opinions--

geminidragn
01-07-2009, 08:37 PM
I am trying to figure out on what I want to do next.

From my earlier posts "RIP-My Fishy Friend-Amarillo" and "Update on Azul", I now have one Delta tail betta. He has never been alone; he has either had my former friend Rojo or Amarillo as tank mates. But now he has a 10 gallon all to himself.

I need some opinions---Option 1: getting different fish as tank mates and turning it into a community tank. Option 2: getting another betta; was thinking on getting a crown-tail. Option 3: leaving it as is and giving full run of the tank for himself.

The tank I have is a 10 gallon with filter, heater, live and plastic plants, and two hidey caves and a hidey shell.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rue
01-07-2009, 08:42 PM
They are all valid options.

I have a 25 liter tank for my one betta. He's in there with a couple of snails. It's planted. I find it very pretty.

wolf_eyes
01-07-2009, 09:00 PM
If you do go the community route it's going to be a little more difficult since he he's already been in that tank and established it as his territory. The best thing to do if you wanted to do that is to put him in a different tank and get the fish you wanted to be with him. After a few weeks you can arrange all the decorations and put him back into the tank. This way it will fool him into thinking he's moved into a new area. If you don't do it this way he will feel that the other fish are intruders and will be more willing to fight them.

Of course that may or may not work. It depends on if you get the right tank mates and if your fish isn't very aggressive. I'm not sure how his personality is, but since he's been around another male betta his aggression may be raised. I think it would be nice to get him another male buddy or let him have free range. I bet he'll feel good if he has free range, because he'll feel like he won the fight against the other male.

Wild Turkey
01-07-2009, 09:04 PM
I was stuck in a similar situation recently. I wanted to add some cherries to my ten gallon with my betta in it. I want the cherries to breed and i dont want to waste all the water and electricity that running another ten gallon would use.

Heres what i did

Got a divider, (had to turn it sideways because im using an internal filter) and set the flow of the filter to go on both sides of the divider.
Problems solved:
Betta is now separated from the shrimp (sometimes babies can sneak through though)
Less current on the betta's side from the filter which is always a plus
No flow problems (since as one side fills up higher than the other and it evens itself out, the water mixes.
No added tanks saves me money

With the divider turned the odd way, ive given the betta around 6 gallons and the shrimp about 4. Just perfect IMO

If you use a regular HOB filter, you wont even need to turn the divider, just put the intake on one side and the rest on the other.

If you want to add fish to the tank i would suggest getting a nano tank for the betta, he will probably kill anything that invades his space.

wolf_eyes
01-07-2009, 10:38 PM
great idea WT!

bettagirl
01-07-2009, 11:48 PM
i think you shuld get some fishy friends i'm no expert but i feel every living thing has a rite to a friend.

geminidragn
01-08-2009, 05:17 AM
In response to what Wolf Eyes wrote--Azul's personality is pretty laid back. He would flare out at Amarillo every once in a while. He mostly swam around and looked at Amarillo going crazy at the divider screen.

When he was mates with Rojo, they both were laid back and just swam around.

I have noticed that Azul has not made anymore bubble nests though. I guess he misses Amarillo and competing with him on who had the bigger bubble nest.

He looks so sad and lonely.

This is why I wanted to see about tank mates. I think that I will stick what I know and get another betta after all. I have had my eye on the crown-tail at Pet Smart. I think a community tank should wait until I move into my new place.

wolf_eyes
01-09-2009, 05:54 PM
He would probably do good in a community tank then when you decide to put him into one then. Some bettas do really good in communities and other just don't(I have one of those). Your little guys sounds like a mellow fellow so you'll most likely be good when you decide you want to try a community. I always love looking at the bettas at petsmart, sometimes you find the most beautiful males. I wish I had a ton of money and room, because i would save them all. You'll have to take pictures of the new guy for us :)