PDA

View Full Version : Hello ~ and HELP!!

Robin
01-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Hello, my name is Robin.
I stumbled on this site while looking for help for my wounded fish.
I have a 55 gallon aquarium with chichlids in it. I have had the tank for about 2 years with all the same fish. Last night there was an altercation and my Yellow Lab got chewed up pretty bad. Is there anything I can do to help him? The other fish were picking at him unmercifully so I removed him from the tank. Is there anything I can do to help his fins heal? And what will happen when I put him back in the tank?
Please help! All my fish were less than in inch in length when I got them, and I have watched them grow to be beautiful, big fish! The lab is almost 4 inches long now, and his color is just beautiful! I don't want to lose him!

Northernguy
01-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Welcome to the Wonderful AC!
The best thing you can do is keep the tank water as clean as possible.
Are the wounds into the meat or is it just the fins?
What tank is it in now?
What other fish are in the 55?

Red
01-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Welcome :)

rageybug
01-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Keep the lab alone in it's own tank. Keep it dark to reduce stress and add a little bit of aquarium salt in the tank to help keep down infection. Try an additive like Stress Coat or Aqua+ too.

Sharon
01-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Melafix works well...These cichlids heal amazingly fast...you'll be surprised! Adding him back will be a problem. I'd suggest a total rearranging of the rocks and decor to disturb the territories of the others. Some silk plants helps break up the line of sight.

BTW...What are the tankmates...

Wild Turkey
01-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Welcome to ac!!!:19:

Agree with sharon, since hes already separated, treating with melafix can help heal the fins faster, and rearranging your decor/adding more could solve some of the aggression problems when you re-introduce the lab.

Robin
01-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Thank you for all the responses and your great advice! You have all been so much help!
I put him in a LARGE fish bowl with an air line in it. It was the only thing I had that was quick before I went to work. He seems to be doing better in there.
The other fish in the tank are a Jack Dempsey, he's pretty big - 6 or 7 inches, a large placo, an orange fish ~ I don't remember what kind he is, 1 bala shark, an algae eater and an orange fish, I don't remember what kind he is, about the same size as the lab.
I was very concerned about putting him back in the tank once he's healed. I will definately rearrange things when I do that.
Thank you again!

angelcakes
01-07-2009, 10:36 PM
hello and welcome:19: :19:

TazManiac
01-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Welcome.....

Brookfish
01-08-2009, 01:17 AM
Hi Robin, welcome to the forum, I would treat the Lab with melafix and
regular water changes like the guys suggested, but once healed I would
sell or trade it, I wouldn't re-introduce it to the tank with the JD as
you will probably get a re-occurance of the aggression.

rageybug
01-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Thank you for all the responses and your great advice! You have all been so much help!
I put him in a LARGE fish bowl with an air line in it. It was the only thing I had that was quick before I went to work. He seems to be doing better in there.
The other fish in the tank are a Jack Dempsey, he's pretty big - 6 or 7 inches, a large placo, an orange fish ~ I don't remember what kind he is, 1 bala shark, an algae eater and an orange fish, I don't remember what kind he is, about the same size as the lab.
I was very concerned about putting him back in the tank once he's healed. I will definately rearrange things when I do that.
Thank you again!

I'd say the lab needs to do some apartment hunting. Labs are pretty timid and that Dempsey is probably quite the bruiser. If the big orange fish is a red zebra cichlid, it may be the one picking on the lab too. Sell, trade or give the lab a new tank.

sandy_n
01-10-2009, 05:49 AM
Hi Robin and welcome to AC...:ssmile:

Poofaye C.
01-10-2009, 06:46 AM
I wouldn't re-introduce it to the tank with the JD as
you will probably get a re-occurance of the aggression.
YUP!!! I agree, sounds like all fish were small when you first got them....all was cool untill they started to mature...things go down in their little fishy world...a fight ensues....weaknesses are reveiled!!! Rearrangement of plants, rocks and the such only do so much...but by all means give it a try...I would. Sorry, still don't think it'll work out tho....because those JDs are pretty smart. Once they realize they can bully something, that's it!

Oooh, welcome to the AC!!!:goldfish: