PDA

View Full Version : i think i've killed my apple snails

sueshewoman
01-07-2009, 03:28 PM
i have had to do a water change everyday for the last 5days as my levels shot up . i now think my 2 apple snails maybe dead as they are both wide open & do not close when you pick them up or move them they are still holding themselves in shells , should i remove them or give it a day or so to see if they pick up i have not lost any fish as i caught spike before that happend but due to the fact that water temp. has been up & down because of water changes
would this have killed them i have not added any meds or salt the only thing i,v used in tank is stress coat plus with w/c , :help: :help: sue

Mvjnz
01-07-2009, 03:43 PM
A spike of what?

Take them out and smell them. If they don't smell, they're not dead.

sueshewoman
01-07-2009, 03:52 PM
A spike of what?

Take them out and smell them. If they don't smell, they're not dead.

a large increase in nite & ammo 30. nite & 40/50 in ammo
they do,nt smell but what would they smell of other than the smell of tank water do,s that make any diff.sue

Northernguy
01-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Whats are your perameters Sue?
As Mvjnz says pick it up and smell it.They small real bad when they are dead.Apple snails do hibernate but I have no idea how long or why.
what are your nitrites and nitrates. is the amm still at 30?

sueshewoman
01-07-2009, 04:01 PM
nitrites and nitrates. is the amm still at 30?

no ray i have managed to bring them down but have only just finished a w/c
so have not checked them yet they were at nites 25.00pmm nates about the same & ammo was 30.00pmm this mornning :help: sue

have just taken them out they do not smell BAD & closed up a little bit .

sueshewoman
01-07-2009, 04:24 PM
JUST WHEN THINGS SEEM TO BE GOING WELL WITH MY TANK IT GO,S DOWN HILL AGAIN . i dont know what i,m doing wrong i do water change every week 35/50% only clean half gravel every 2 weeks clean 1 of the 3 filters every week so that each 1 is only done once in 3weeks the fry from guppies & mollys are ok but i car,nt seem to get it all together . sorry just feeling sorry for myself sue

Sharon
01-07-2009, 05:19 PM
That regime seems perfectly fine...although maybe you could reduce the amount of water you remove weekly. That wouldn't be the cause of your problem. Unless you are GROSSLY overfeeding, or are WAY overstocked, I can't figure this one out...How are you cleaning the filters...Have you checked the tap water for Ammonia...

sueshewoman
01-07-2009, 06:37 PM
no sharon i have not checked tap water for ammo but will do i know that i have hard water the stocking is as sign. dont think thats to much i clean filters in tank water i have 3 & do 1 every week so they are cleaned once every 3weeks

terrapin24h
01-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Snails(and other inverts) do not tolerate ammonia or nitrite well at all. If you have a small tank you can put them in(or even large fish bowls) pull them out of the main tank until your mini cycle has finished, just be sure to keep the water in the mini tank a good temperature and clean to help them recover(you could even move some gravel over to the rescue tank). Around here i can find 5 gal rect glass tanks pretty cheap. Throw a small or backup heater in it and fill it with treated water and you'd be good. The more important question is why the spikes? Have you added any fish recently? Has anything died? do you have any of those feeder puck or blocks in the water(those can jack ammonia up, i learned that the hard way)? Tell us everything that has happened in the last month in your tank, mayeb we can help

--chris

Northernguy
01-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Don't let it get you down Sue!
I find my snails are not doing much lately either.I thought they were dead as well.
Keep doing 1 daily water change until your readings are better.
I sure would like to know what caused your mini spike though.

terrapin24h
01-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Don't let it get you down Sue!
I find my snails are not doing much lately either.I thought they were dead as well.
Keep doing 1 daily water change until your readings are better.
I sure would like to know what caused your mini spike though.

Well for pete sakes, NG for all the humpin and egglayin the poor things were doing, they are probably tired, i know i would be lol :thumbs2:

--chris