PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Tank

Wayne May
01-06-2009, 08:53 PM
My son had a new tropical tank for xmas, he set it upand let it clear and left it for a week before putting in his new fish.One week after putting the fish in the tank has gone a very cloudy white colour and he is concerned that the fish may die. We cleaned the filter and put it back but everything else looks to be ok. Can anyone tell from what we have said what could be wrong?

Thank you

Wayne

Rue
01-06-2009, 08:58 PM
How big is the tank, and how many fish are in it?

But in general, your tank hasn't cycled fully. What you're experiencing is a bacterial bloom.

Not too much you can do now that you've added the fish, except for large regular water changes.

Don't clean out the filters - let the nitrifying bacteria establish itself there properly.

I'd suggest 25% water change every 2 days until the tank is established.

Despite what you may read, if you're starting a new tank from scratch (without adding beneficial bacteria to jump start it) you need about 6 weeks to fully cycle.

You can jump start the cycling process by adding gravel, or used filter material from a healthy established tank.

Sharkman
01-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Do you have a liquid test kit? If not, I would advise getting one because you will be able to determine if there are unhealthy levels of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate in your water.

I agree with rue on doing a water change of no less than 25%. more would be better.

Northernguy
01-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Wecome to the AC!
Here is a link I think you should read so you will understand your tank and the way it works.http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5640
I also suggest downloading the free E-book on the left and read it.
Start a new thread in the beginners section when you have more questions.
Do your fish have pink gills?If so do a water change and add dechlorinator to your water.
You also need something to help start your cyle.

Wayne May
01-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Thank you all for the info, my wife and son are just doing a wtaer change and I think they did about 25% change. I will have to get the full testing kit to see if all the chemicals in the water are ok. I will dwnload the ebook and get him to read it through and take all the info in. I think a little patience is what is needed as well.

Kind Regards

Wayne

Northernguy
01-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Patience and fish tanks go hand in hand.
Next time you clean your filter use the old tank water from your water change.That way none of the beneficial bacteria that is neccesary will be killed off.Your filter holds most of your tanks cycle.
What are using to aid in the cycle?

Brookfish
01-07-2009, 12:13 AM
Welcome to AC, enjoy the hobby.thumbs2:

Sharon
01-07-2009, 12:27 AM
Welcome!!!:19: