PDA

View Full Version : Need help keeping aquatic dwarf frogs alive!

lucky1304
01-06-2009, 03:38 PM
We currently have two tanks set up. One is a six-gallon with four neon tetras. The other is a ten-gallon that only has four zebra danios in it right now.

I really enjoy the dwarf frogs, but we can't seem to keep them alive. We bought our first one when I knew next to nothing about aquariums. I put him in our six-gallon tank with the neons. He lived for several weeks, then died. I assumed at the time that it was because the tank hadn't been properly cycled. Fast-forward several weeks, and this time we've done everything right. The ten-gallon tank has been cycled and we've tested the water. Everything is cool. I buy a new frog and put it in the ten-gallon tank this time. It dies in two days. A few weeks later, I bring water samples to the pet store. Water checks out fine. I buy two zebra danios (we started with two in the 10-gallon; now we're at four) and a larger frog. He died within 24 hours.

It's worth mentioning that in this time, all other fish have remained stable and seem to be doing well.

I told the kids that if this frog died, we would be done with frogs. It seems cruel to keep buying them if they're just going to die. However, my five-year-old REALLY wants to try again. Could there be something I'm doing wrong? Something with the tank set-up? I've done tons of research, and I can't think of anything off-hand that I might be doing. The last two frogs came from Petco, and I'm suspicious now of their health to begin with (if they each died within a few days, that's most likely a pet store thing, right?). I have another fish store that I trust more, so maybe I should try them again? I've also heard that albino dwarfs are easier to keep alive, but I know they get pretty big.

If we do try again, which tank is better? The 10-gallon or the 6-gallon?

TIA!

Sharon
01-06-2009, 04:09 PM
I hear they are really bad at finding the food...how have you been feeding them?

angelcakes
01-06-2009, 04:10 PM
hello and welcome:19:
when you put the frogs in are they and do they look healthy?
water temperature?
are you using anything else to treat your water such as cycle for example?
how do your frogs act when there in the tank?
it sounds to me your frogs could be getting stressed and this is causing internal bactrial problems which are not noticeable to the eye,
african dwarf frogs can be quite sensitive to a few things even some breeds of fish,
what may also help if possible is trying to purchase your frogs from elsewhere
have all your frogs come from petco?
dwarf frogs can also be prone to bad water conditions i know you have stated that you have had your water tested but do you own a test kit? if so could you explain your water paremeters as this will help,
and an dwarf albino frog in my expereince is not so as these are genarally known as xenepus leavis african long clawed frog ( ive 4 and 1 dwarf frog)
also what are you feeding them?

lovleeko
01-06-2009, 04:29 PM
I've never had them but my local fish store will no longer order them because they die. So I am interested to see what comes of this thread. Sorry about your frogs :(

lucky1304
01-06-2009, 05:40 PM
hello and welcome

Thank you!

They seem healthy (no outward signs of disease, but the last two have been incredible sluggish from the start).

water temperature?
Between 72 degrees and 74 degrees, I believe.

Yes, we added cycle to both tanks in the beginning, and I also add it when I add new fish.

The first one acted fine. He was playful sometimes, didn't seem to be trying to escape (which I've heard is a sign of water issues). But I could never be sure he was eating. That one lasted the longest. The second two were very sluggish. I always thought they were dead.

No, the first one (which also lived the longest) came from a store called Petland, which seems to have better conditions for its fish. I was going to buy from there for the third frog, but they were out of stock.

dwarf frogs can also be prone to bad water conditions i know you have stated that you have had your water tested but do you own a test kit? if so could you explain your water paremeters as this will help,
I'm a total newbie, so though we have recently started testing the water, I get very confused by it. The test revealed that our water hardiness level was off? Also, the guy at the pet store said the Ph on one of the tanks was a bit off but not enough to make a difference.

Tadpole bites, but I've also got some frozen bloodworms. Honestly, i think these somehow killed frogs 1 and 2, but I can't be sure how or why. Frog 3 only ever got tadpole bites. He died within about 12 hours. I have not tried handfeeding, but I'm fairly certain that frog 2 ate bloodworms shortly before he died. :(

lovleeko
01-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong because this is purely things I've read since I've been considering adding one to one of my tanks, but they do play dead right. And I also read that they just hang out and float and that this is normal behavior. So I wonder how you would know if they were truly sick. Hmmm

angelcakes
01-06-2009, 06:19 PM
hello and welcome

Thank you!

They seem healthy (no outward signs of disease, but the last two have been incredible sluggish from the start).

water temperature?
Between 72 degrees and 74 degrees, I believe.

Yes, we added cycle to both tanks in the beginning, and I also add it when I add new fish.

The first one acted fine. He was playful sometimes, didn't seem to be trying to escape (which I've heard is a sign of water issues). But I could never be sure he was eating. That one lasted the longest. The second two were very sluggish. I always thought they were dead.

No, the first one (which also lived the longest) came from a store called Petland, which seems to have better conditions for its fish. I was going to buy from there for the third frog, but they were out of stock.

I'm a total newbie, so though we have recently started testing the water, I get very confused by it. The test revealed that our water hardiness level was off? Also, the guy at the pet store said the Ph on one of the tanks was a bit off but not enough to make a difference.

Tadpole bites, but I've also got some frozen bloodworms. Honestly, i think these somehow killed frogs 1 and 2, but I can't be sure how or why. Frog 3 only ever got tadpole bites. He died within about 12 hours. I have not tried handfeeding, but I'm fairly certain that frog 2 ate bloodworms shortly before he died. :(
here goes :14:
turn your temp up to 76-78, as water needs to be a bit warmer, do this before you get your frogs and rise temp slowly due to any other fish,sudden heat change could spell dieseaes, stop adding cycle ive always found it a waste of money to be honest,
never buy a sluggish looking frog as this is a sign they are normally carrying a problem,youve experimented by buying from different shops so the problem i think would be in your tank,
turn temp up as suggested,2nd would be to buy a test kit ideally API master test kit is recommended,which are liquid tests the strip tests that you see are not very accurate,API is a little expensive depending on where you live but its the best, ph can be a problem your ph needs to be stable at 7.0-7.2 so if its under this ph or well over this could also be the problem,the main test kit you need would be ammonia has frogs can get easily poisioned by this,feeding bloodworms is great,tubifex is also good,pellets, flake. also do you have hiding places such as caves plants wood etc?

angelcakes
01-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong because this is purely things I've read since I've been considering adding one to one of my tanks, but they do play dead right. And I also read that they just hang out and float and that this is normal behavior. So I wonder how you would know if they were truly sick. Hmmm
yes they play dead,hanging out and floating is normal,
knowing when there sick is when there not eating and looking lethargic

lovleeko
01-06-2009, 06:44 PM
yes they play dead,hanging out and floating is normal,
knowing when there sick is when there not eating and looking lethargic

Not eating is always a sign this is true. lol I should have thought of that one. I'm smart like that. :22:

angelcakes
01-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Not eating is always a sign this is true. lol I should have thought of that one. I'm smart like that. :22:
:22: :hmm3grin2orange: