PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem...

Hailey
01-06-2009, 07:26 AM
I have this betta, he hasnt eaten anything in over a month. I tried everything, and somehow hes still holding in there. He looks really bad. Hes really bloated and fat and bulky. And his fins are pretty bad looking. I dont know what happened to him. I moved him into a bigger 5.5gal tank with a filter, and he seems to like it, but then I think he might not.

I just don't know what to do. Should I just let him fight it out and pass naturally? or should I somehow not let him suffer anymore? I hate seeing him like this. What to do...

angelcakes
01-06-2009, 08:00 AM
hows the scales and water parameters?
if the scales are protuded its possible dropsy and theres not much you can do:scry:

Hailey
01-06-2009, 08:48 AM
ya? thats what it seems like :scry:
oh well at least i gave him a better life then living in a plastic cup at the pet store

Ghostknife
01-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Apparently there is a cure, if its not too late

http://www.aqua-fish.net/show.php?h=dropsydisease

gm72
01-06-2009, 12:16 PM
I have found such treatments to be relatively ineffectual at curing dropsy. Usually once the scales start popping out it is too late.

Hailey
01-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Well I think by the end of today he'll be gone. Hes almost gone already :(

Hailey
01-06-2009, 08:48 PM
omg I cant watch this! I hate seeing dead or dying fish so much! I just hope he goes fast

Ghostknife
01-06-2009, 09:26 PM
If he is not gone already, and is still suffering, you could put some clove oil in with him which will slow his heart rate down enough so he falls asleep. The clove oil will continue to work to stop his heart completely.

I understand this to be the best form of Euthenasia

Hailey
01-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Oh I wish I had some!
Where can you get that stuff? I know I wount be able to get it in time, but for the future...

Naturestee
01-06-2009, 09:54 PM
You can also euthanize a fish by putting it in a baggie of water and putting that in the freezer. They just fall asleep.

So sorry about your little dude. :(

geminidragn
01-06-2009, 09:59 PM
You can find clove oil mostly at a pharmacy or a Wal-mart. Make sure it is in liquid form. It is easier to use than the pills. I had to use it on my other Rojo for a bacterial fungus that was eating him alive. Like you, I was tired of watching him suffer.

My heart goes out to you and your little friend.

katieo80
01-06-2009, 10:05 PM
hey hailey, i had a betta with dropsy once and it was so sad and awful, i can really feel you there. he hung on for awhile too, and i couldn't bear to watch him, so after i tried everything to fix him, i started researching humane ways to euthanize fish. i ended up doing the ice-in-the-freezer method, which seemed like the gentlest thing. i was super sad though, and there is nothing deader than a dead fish. :( we are sending you good vibes! take care of you as well as all the fishies! --katieo

Hailey
01-06-2009, 11:52 PM
aww, thanks guys!
I just dont know what I would do if it was my other betta, Bingy!

Hailey
01-07-2009, 10:46 PM
So now I have an empty tank :( Its weird not having him around anymore.

Wild Turkey
01-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Sorry for your loss.
How big is the tank? What are you planning next? You might want to think about saving the bacteria on the sponge.(if its not too late already)

geminidragn
01-08-2009, 01:23 AM
You had a cool looking guy. I liked the tank setup. Sorry for your loss.

Hailey
01-08-2009, 02:42 AM
Thanks guys! :)
Well he was moved into a 5.5 gallon tank. So now its empty. I dont have any more filter pads for the filter, so it wount be ready to do anything in a while. I was thinking a female betta, or two. Maybe shrimp. Or there was a blue lobster at the LFS. What would you do?

geminidragn
01-08-2009, 05:08 AM
If you do the female bettas, make sure you get two and introduce them into the tank at the same time or they will fight. I found that out the hard way and ended up loosing them both. By introducing them both it gives them equal rights at establishing territory; make sure they each have a place to hide in.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!!

Hailey
01-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Oh I never knew that. Thanks for the tip!

Hailey
01-09-2009, 06:10 AM
Omg now I noticed yesterday, Bingy, my first betta has white spots on him! I'm haveing bad luck right now

Ghostknife
01-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Is it Ich?

If so, turn the temp up to 1 or 2 degrees higher. The white spot disease has a shorter life span in warmer water. Hopefully it will die down then, but if you have gravel you will need to psyphon (spelling) quite regularly to ensure they do not catch on again.

bettagirl
01-10-2009, 09:09 PM
are harts are with u good in trying to sav him :l16: