PDA

View Full Version : Excited?

LadyHatred
01-06-2009, 01:19 AM
Ok so, after a sleepless night with a glitchy heater I decided to get some test kits.

I dunno what is going on in my tank.

Ammonia is ZERO! I did it three times. Even stirred the tank.

Not sure about NitrIte because they didn't have it in (wont have it for a couple weeks :( )

And NitrAte is....well Im not so sure because the color I got was nothing like the chart. Im guessing 40 or 50. I got an electric purple color.

All the kits are Nutrafin, all expire in 2011.

So I just did a 40% water change and am waiting for it to settle a bit before I test Nitrate again.

On a side note, think Im allergic to one of these test kits, been feeling like I have fleas ever since messin about with them. >:(

Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticizims?

Red
01-06-2009, 01:36 AM
Well i think your nitrAte is way to high.. And if you are allergic to it, i would use rubber gloves...
By the way, is it liquid or strips??

Lady Hobbs
01-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Are you doing a fishless cycling with this tank? If so, you don't need to mess with the nitrates at all until the ammonia is 0 and the nitrites are 0. Right now the only two of concern.

LadyHatred
01-06-2009, 01:48 AM
Well i think your nitrAte is way to high.. And if you are allergic to it, i would use rubber gloves...
By the way, is it liquid or strips??

I figured it was too high, hence the water change.

Yes I am going to wear gloves. The itchyness has turned into hives. #&$)@! But I'm not worried about allergice reactions.

And all the tests are liquid. Comes with a little glass vial for each test, an eye-dropper thing and various bottles of chemicals. I've read enough to know the strips are crap. :D

But with no ammonia and uber high nitrAte, am I safe to assume that my nitrIte levels are safe?

LadyHatred
01-06-2009, 01:49 AM
Are you doing a fishless cycling with this tank? If so, you don't need to mess with the nitrates at all until the ammonia is 0 and the nitrites are 0. Right now the only two of concern.

No, I am not doing a fishless cycle.

Like I said in the original post, the shop here doesn't have a nitrIte test kit.

LadyHatred
01-07-2009, 12:01 AM
I didn't want to start a new thread, this is basically the same.

As of 20 minutes ago:

PH: 6
Ammonia: 0
NitrAte: 10
NitrIte: 3 <---Yes I got one, lucked out on a friend comming over from the mainland :D

Is having zero ammonia ok? Hear me out lol, I know ANY ammonia is bad however, with nitrates and nitrites showing, I'd figure there would be at least a minimal reading showing up.

Is the NitrAte dropping with a 40% change normal? I know dropping levels is a good thing, I was just surprised it went down that much.

I know the nitrIte is still too high but, it is not half as bad as I thought.

I do a 30 to 40 water change every second day.

I also got some java moss. For both tanks! YAY!

Northernguy
01-07-2009, 12:20 AM
The jave moss will help!
You can do daily water changes until you get those levels down.It will help the fish.Nitrites kill fish too.If you are cycling with fish the w/cs will prolong it a bit but it is much less stressful to the fish.

Sharon
01-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Nitrites of 3ppm is extremely toxic for the fish. The cycle is progressing normally and the nitrites have now peaked. You need to do an immediate water change to get Nitrites down to around .5ppm. Expect to see an increase in Nitrates soon, which can be dealt with by more water changes.

LadyHatred
01-07-2009, 01:02 AM
Okie, another 40% done.

Thank you so much, you guys!

The ammonia level. Nothing has been said about this. I am super curious! Why is it not giving off levels? Do you think the test kit I have is a dud?

Been feeling horrible about this whole cycling with fish. Lesson learned. I suppose one good thing is, is that none of the fish have died. I know they more then likely can be doing better but...there is nothing else to be done.

Would I get another tank? Oh hell ya! But I'd look at an empty tank for a year before adding with an uncycled tank. lol

Gemini
01-07-2009, 03:55 AM
Hey LadyHatred - on the ammonia appearing as 0. What happens in a cycle is that the fish make waster, bacteria converts to ammonia, bacteria converts this ammonia to nitrites, bacteria then converts the nitrites to nitrates. Cycling a tank is the building up of these bacterias. So I think what is happening in your tank is you have the bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrites built up which is why their are 0, the nitrite eating bacteria is still building up which is why you have nitrites. In a cycled tank you get 0 ammonia, 0 nitrItes, and some nitrAtes. If you haven't already, read through the free ebook in the menu on the left. It explains it all well - and with pics!

LadyHatred
01-10-2009, 01:11 AM
I officially have a cycled tank!

pH 0
Ammonia 0
NitrAte 0
NitrIte 0

15 days, 15 pwc (7 of those were with a gravel vac) and 1 24 hour power-outtage.

*does happy dance*

Note to n00bs like me: Dont' cycle with fish! Its too stressfull. On you and the fish! :14:

bushwhacker
01-10-2009, 04:22 AM
I officially have a cycled tank!

pH 0
Ammonia 0
NitrAte 0
NitrIte 0

15 days, 15 pwc (7 of those were with a gravel vac) and 1 24 hour power-outtage.

*does happy dance*

Note to n00bs like me: Dont' cycle with fish! Its too stressfull. On you and the fish! :14:

now ya got a problem those parameters cannot be right.. you have to have some kinda ph level and if your cycled you will have some nitrate

Gemini
01-10-2009, 05:18 AM
now ya got a problem those parameters cannot be right.. you have to have some kinda ph level and if your cycled you will have some nitrate
Yep agree totally

snipesxxx
01-10-2009, 02:44 PM
also unless you was seeding the tank with something to help speed things up, I don't see how you could be cycled in just 2 weeks.

Sharon
01-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Agreed...something wrong with those test results!

bushwhacker
01-10-2009, 07:52 PM
ladyhatred that 0 ph is what caught my eye pure sulphuric acid has a ph of 5 if i'm not mistaken and it doesnt get any worse than that ... got this wrong ph can be as low as 0.3 in solution so your ph of 0 is still way off

LadyHatred
01-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Grrr sorry! I was in a hurry when I posted that! I was late.

pH is at 6