PDA

View Full Version : New Pics!

katieo80
01-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Hello AC! Here are my first pictures of my 4-gallon baby biOrb aquarium...i offer them for your perusal, critique and enjoyment! :)

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/aqua2.jpg

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/aqua6.jpg

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/aqua8.jpg

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/aqua1.jpg

cocoa_pleco
01-05-2009, 11:30 PM
looks good! i actually think you are the first person on the forum with a biorb

Wild Turkey
01-05-2009, 11:32 PM
looks good! i actually think you are the first person on the forum with a biorb

Yea ive seen these in stores but never heard of anyone who had one, looks neat!

Whats ur ph?feeding schedule/type? ur snail has some shell damage

Demi ^_^
01-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Nice pretty betta :)))))

cocoa_pleco
01-05-2009, 11:36 PM
i saw them in stores a year ago alot, but the reef store i go to quit selling them and so did petsmart for some reason

fishlover49
01-05-2009, 11:37 PM
I love it! :19:

Brookfish
01-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Thats a handsome looking Betta, nice pics!!

katieo80
01-06-2009, 12:23 AM
thanks for all the good comments and support! :)

i have had a progression from unenlightened betta keeper (in small non-filtered tank) to 2 gallon filtered tank betta + snail to this 4-gallon biOrb betta+snail+snail....and truly the only thing that is keeping me from going out and getting huger/more aquariums is the tiny apartment we inhabit! one day, yes one day, i shall have a super awesome big aquarium or several... :)

the biOrb was a christmas present, and so far has worked very well. i haven't read anything outright negative about them, just that they aren't so good for some kinds of fish (corys with their sensitive barbles (sp?), bottom dwellers in general because the footprint is too small, etc). the company that makes them has some bigger and differently shaped ones, so i might check those out some day...i do like the company. reef one, if anyone is interested. :)

i'm about to go do some serious Ph investigation and will get back with the results. thanks for all the help and advice! i am getting more enlightened now thanks to this forum and the nice folks on here.. --katieo

Sharon
01-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Very nice!!!thumbs2:

katieo80
01-06-2009, 12:33 AM
...as a follow up to the pH question... :)

i need to get a for-real test kit (don't yell ahhh! i'm getting one soon i promise!), but the pH in there is 7.5 ish, which should be good for the snails. austin water is soft at 8, but the aquarium store says that minerals get absorbed quickly so the pH can go down. any suggestions for buffers? or should i just not worry about it and invest in bananas? HAAA i love the idea of snails eating bananas...

speaking of eating, the snails are always cruising for microflora of course....i put a couple pieces of algae flake (those green round discs? i break 'em up) in there every other day, and on the off days everybody gets bloodworm treats. the snails love when they can find a stray betta pellet, although karl is such a piglet they hardly ever get that! they also get the occasional spinach leaf, although i'll start putting more veggies in there now...

sandy_n
01-06-2009, 08:35 AM
I like that! :thumb:

DragonWatch
01-06-2009, 09:33 AM
That looks very nice Katie! Almost exactly the same as my Betta. Do you have a link for the guys who make these biOrbs? Living out in the sticks I've never seen one here.

Ghostknife
01-06-2009, 12:04 PM
A Buddha eh? Good clean religion your Fighter has there!

Very nice biOrb. I too have only ever seen them in shops!

Northernguy
01-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Those are some great pics!:22: Thanks for sharing.
You have a good ph for the snail.Keep feeding the food high in calcium and the shell should start to come back.

SamAnthrax
01-06-2009, 04:27 PM
aw i really like this! i always wondered what a biorb would look like with stuff in it thumbs2:

katieo80
01-06-2009, 07:11 PM
thanks so much for all the good comments and cheers! makes me feel like a real aquarium hobbyist. :) haha i'm getting there! i will take and post more pictures as i get 'em...

i will post a little review (in the review section :)) of my experiences so far with the biOrb and my impressions of the products and the company...i haven't been at it too long, but i will give some links and thoughts. :) I Heart You Fishie People. --katieo :)

katieo80
01-06-2009, 07:12 PM
oh yeah, and karl is definitely a buddhist betta. he is very peaceful and compassionate, and only puffs up to be fancy. :)

cer
01-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Thats a cool tank! It is unusual.

katieo80
01-06-2009, 11:08 PM
That looks very nice Katie! Almost exactly the same as my Betta. Do you have a link for the guys who make these biOrbs? Living out in the sticks I've never seen one here.

i ended up posting a couple links and writing a little review of the biOrb here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=35469

enjoy!! :)

Wild Turkey
01-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Two suggestions for ya:

Adding crushed coral will take care of all your hardness problems.

Crushing up the algae wafers and mixing in a little calcium powder, water, then refreeze them.

Those two things should completely fix the shell dmg problem. GL:19:

Glad you are having fun on the sitethumbs2:\

Katie, someone once told me that biorb people (casco? i think) Will sell you live nitrifying bacteria via mail order upon request. Ive never been able to track anyone down for this, your thoughts or experience? Lend turk a hint or a hotline number? ;D

katieo80
01-07-2009, 02:03 AM
Katie, someone once told me that biorb people (casco? i think) Will sell you live nitrifying bacteria via mail order upon request. Ive never been able to track anyone down for this, your thoughts or experience? Lend turk a hint or a hotline number? ;D

turk, i will definitely look into that for you and let you (and the ac) know. :)

i am mad because i just tried to use the special biOrb pump to do a water change and it was NOT as easy as promised, and i feel like i just traumatized everybody. GRRRR! SORRY FISH!

thanks for all the responses everybody!

katieo80
01-07-2009, 03:42 AM
i am mad because i just tried to use the special biOrb pump to do a water change and it was NOT as easy as promised, and i feel like i just traumatized everybody. GRRRR! SORRY FISH!

*i should mention i bought the pump after receiving the biOrb as a gift, and i had an easier time just using normal extra airpipe to siphon water for a water change than when i tried it with the special pump thing. but i will probably get better at the pump. :)*