PDA

View Full Version : 10 gallon zoanthid plan

Fishguy2727
01-05-2009, 06:10 PM
I am planning on moving all my zoanthids into their own 10 gallon. I will use the rocks the are on plus a few others from the tank to get the right layout. I want them out of the 29 because those people finally gave me another anemone and I don't want to have to worry about them anymore.

I plan on using a 20" incandescent fixture with 2 20watt 50/50 compact fluorescent bulbs from Coralife. I may add a second fixture, the same thing. Do you think this would be too much light (80watts total)? I don't know what to use for filtration. I could get a nano Koralia, or a couple of the really small Zoo Med pumps (60gph each). Do you guys think I should have a skimmer? If so the only one I think I would do is the Fission Nano Skimmer. Do you think I need anything else? Maybe an empty (or with Purigen and Phosphate remover) AquaClear for a place to add topoff water? I will use the 10 gallon Stealth heater.

I am not worried about anything else in particular, but maybe something really small, like a pair of clown gobies. Maybe a small barber's pole goby and a pistol shrimp? I am not sure what I want to add.

What do you guys think?
What changes do you recommend?

Rue
01-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Sounds good to me! I think a goby/pistol shrimp pair would be ideal!

labnjab
01-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Sounds like a great plan and something I might try when I get a spare 10 gallon. Would you be putting a small sump under it? as for recommendations, I don't have much experience in smaller tanks.

Fishguy2727
01-05-2009, 06:14 PM
No, no sumps on this or my current tank.

Rue
01-05-2009, 06:14 PM
A sump is always nice...but with a 10g you don't need one - esp. if its lightly stocked...

Fishguy2727
01-05-2009, 06:17 PM
I know most people don't really feed anything to zoanthids, but I want them to really thrive (which is why I may do two fixtures instead of just one). Some people just rely on fish poop to nourish their corals. What could I do in this type of a setup with so few fish and just zoanthids?

Rue
01-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Mine love Cyclopeeze. You could feed them a bit every 5-7 days. That will prevent nutrient buildup and still provide a little additional food for them. The goby/shrimp can eat them too...